Where to buy parts during trip to LA

Bloomer

I will be going on vacation to LA the first 10 days of january and since everything is almost half the price (at least on Amazon) as here in Argentina I plan on buying as many parts as possible for my new system.

Should i get everything from Amazon and New Egg and have it all delivered to my hotel or how should I go about it? Also is it a good time to buy parts right after new year's eve?

Just in case I'm looking to buy this:

Ryzen 7 2700x

GTX 1080

16Gb ddr4 3200mhz

Any good value SSD

B450 motherboard (maybe a x470 if I get a good deal, I don't plan on overclocking anyway)

Any help is greatly appreciated!

I would look into the 1070 ti as it performs around a stock 1080 with a mild overclock. And the 1080 ti because it's way better than the 1080. 

@Bloomer Could you give us a budget? We can actually help you find some good deals while you're in the US. Best to get in while you can.

P.S. The best times to buy tech IMO:

Mid to late Summer

New Years

Black Friday or Cyber Monday (Mostly in the US and Canada)

Right after Christmas

3 minutes ago, DVA said:

@Bloomer Could you give us a budget? We can actually help you find some good deals while you're in the US. Best to get in while you can.

P.S. The best times to buy tech IMO:

Mid to late Summer

New Years

Black Friday or Cyber Monday (Mostly in the US and Canada)

Right after Christmas

So that means i got lucky with the timing! My budget is 1100usd, 1200 absolute max without peripherals, PSU or case (I'll have to get them here in Argentina)

13 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

I would look into the 1070 ti as it performs around a stock 1080 with a mild overclock. And the 1080 ti because it's way better than the 1080. 

All I need is a machine that can run Fortnite at 150+ fps (using the stardard pro settings) while streaming. I haven't been able to find realiable sources yet, do you reckon a gtx 1070ti will suffice for this?

10 minutes ago, PacketMan said:

I recommend you to take a look at the build you plan to buy (with links and prices) and once you are there, buy it online.

Btw, what about taking it (with its boxes) back to Argentina? Cuidadito no vaya a ser que te hagan pagar aduanas si ven las cajas jajaja

Yeah I won't travel with boxes, just the parts. I have friends who have done this before without any issues (also, I'm actually coming back to Argentina from Mexico so it'll be fine)

Just now, Bloomer said:

All I need is a machine that can run Fortnite at 150+ fps (using the stardard pro settings) while streaming. I haven't been able to find realiable sources yet, do you reckon a gtx 1070ti will suffice for this?

mine could do it. but I can't tell you exact numbers because I use vsync and I'm on a different pc

Just now, PacketMan said:

Keep in mind that Fortnite can be run with the shittiest PC, with a 1070 Ti, 1080p, highest settings and a 1070Ti you'll get 150 fps for sure

Anyways, do you have 144hz monitor? You can purchase one of those 144hz with G-Sync, etc

I will get a 144hz monitor for sure, but I'm too scared it will break during the flight if I buy it in LA

4 minutes ago, Bloomer said:

So that means i got lucky with the timing! My budget is 1100usd, 1200 absolute max without peripherals, PSU or case (I'll have to get them here in Argentina)

I understand the PSU, but why the case? Is the PSU cable routed a little differently than here in the US?

Be sure to come back to us before your flight. Prices will be a little different :)

2 minutes ago, Bloomer said:

I will get a 144hz monitor for sure, but I'm too scared it will break during the flight if I buy it in LA

Yeah, the airport somehow managed to break my $1200 laptop. It was in a laptop protector and piled in between clothes. They said it was my own fault for having it in the suitcase. Oh well. 

There's a Microcenter in Tustin, which is about 35 south from LA. They're usually a good place to get hardware. You can also order from Newegg and tell them you want to pick it up from their warehouse in Industry, which is about 20 miles east from LA. If you use Uber or Lyft, you can expect to pay $20+ each way though.

If you buy from Amazon, then see if they have a pick up center or locker in the area.

1 hour ago, DVA said:

I understand the PSU, but why the case? Is the PSU cable routed a little differently than here in the US?

Be sure to come back to us before your flight. Prices will be a little different :)

It's because the PSU from my current rig will do the job just fine. I will definitely post here again before my flight! thank you so much!

1 hour ago, PacketMan said:

Well, definitely you'll be lucky if nothing is broken! But that's about luck. You'll have to box it very, very well and use a "fragile" sticker for sure...

Anyways, take a look at the CPUs, GPUs and RAM sticks prices, the motherboard can be purchased in Argentina (if the prices aren't THAT bad I mean...), the good PSUs are quite expensive so you can check USA prices too. The monitor, sure a 27", 1440p (even 4K) and 144Hz will do (Acer Predator XB1) but yeah, any non G-Sync is good enough

1 hour ago, DVA said:

Yeah, the airport somehow managed to break my $1200 laptop. It was in a laptop protector and piled in between clothes. They said it was my own fault for having it in the suitcase. Oh well. 

Yeah reading all this I'm coming to the conclusion that I should probably buy the mobo here as well... The rest of the parts I'm not worried about, i'll just wrap them in a ton of bubble wrap and clothes.

Although for reference a x470 is around 235usd in Argentina

3 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

There's a Microcenter in Tustin, which is about 35 south from LA. They're usually a good place to get hardware. You can also order from Newegg and tell them you want to pick it up from their warehouse in Industry, which is about 20 miles east from LA.

If you buy from Amazon, then see if they have a pick up center or locker in the area.

I didn't know you could do this! Thank you!

26 minutes ago, PacketMan said:

Lol, pick a B350/450 then if it's half the price, there are really good B350/450 mobos for little money (MSI B450 Tomahawk, Asrock B450 Gaming something else, etc)

Edit: for mobo information go to the mobos subforum they know better than I the differences between most B350/450 motherboards and which is best

I'll ask right now, thanks!

EDIT: I just realized I'm trying to go way off the rails on this thread, so I'll just make a new one about the build I plan to buy in Mexico. Thanks to everyone for your help!

Edited by Bloomer