GTX 780TI and bottlenecks

Golden Cow

Basically I'm building a new rig by buying the parts one at a time. One of the first parts I got was the GTX 780TI (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127771). I spoke with a couple of my steam friends about it, asking them if it'd bottleneck on my current build, it having an Intel i5 650 @ 3.2 GHz. I was told it wouldn't, but my in game performance says otherwise. I can run BF4 at /low/ settings getting 30-40FPS getting some random FPS drops here and there which have gotten me killed many times, and for some reason only do it whenever an enemy pops around a corner or I can get an easy kill. So my question is, bottleneck or just faulty card? I wanna say bottleneck but my friends on steam were telling me it's not...so I'd figure I'd ask on here. 

Definitely a bottleneck. I had an i5-760 before my current rig, same GPU, and playing BF3 was like chalk and cheese.

Just to be clear, the bottleneck isn't with your GPU however, it is with your CPU on that particular game. Multiplayer is extremely CPU reliant.

MAXIMUS VII HERO | i7 4770K w/ H100i | 2x8GB 1600MHz | GALAX GTX 970 x2
250GB SSD boot | 250GB x2, 1TB SSD storage | Corsair 400C | Corsair RM550

That's definitely a bottleneck or a lemon of a gfx card. I have a FX 6350 and with my SLI 780 I get about 110fps on Ultra. With 1 card I was getting about 80

Main Rig CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700x GPU: Asus TUF Gaming RX5700XT MBASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Master Liquid LC240E SSD: Crucial 250gb M.2 + Crucial 500gb SSD HDD: PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Gran RGB 850W 80+ Gold Case: Corsair Carbide 275R KB: Glorious GMMK 85% MOUSE: Razer Naga Trinity HEADSET: Go XLR with Shure SM7B mic and beyerdynamic DT 990

unRAID Plex Server CPU: Intel i7 6700 GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2000 MB: Asus B150M-C RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32gb DDR4 3000MT/s CPU Cooler: Stock Intel SSD: Western Digital 500GB Red HDD: 4TB Seagate Baracude 3x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf PSU: EVGA BT 80+ Bronze 450W Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO KB: Cheap Logitech KB + Mouse combo

Well, thank you for the answers :)

I should be getting my new CPU and motherboard in a week or so I won't have to go through this pain much longer :P Was debating between 3770k and 4770k but after looking into it the 4770k just doesn't seem worth it. 

I should be getting my new CPU and motherboard in a week or so I won't have to go through this pain much longer :P Was debating between 3770k and 4770k but after looking into it the 4770k just doesn't seem worth it. 

Is it a strictly gaming rig?

Is it a strictly gaming rig?

I do some things in Photoshop occasionally and I'd like to stream once my entire rig is built, but aside from those two things it's really just for gaming. 

I do some things in Photoshop occasionally and I'd like to stream once my entire rig is built, but aside from those two things it's really just for gaming. 

If it's only occasional Photoshop and stuff, you should be fine with a 4670K. The extra money probably isn't worth it for what you're doing. 

EDIT: Nvidia cards have Shadowplay Twitch streaming, which I think is done mainly on a separate chip or something on the card so it shouldn't take much from your CPU. 

EDIT 2: Yep, here you go http://blog.twitch.tv/2013/12/shadowplay-twitch-streaming-functionality-enters-beta/

3770K will kill everything. No need to spend more. You can overclock yours to get better than 4770K performance. I speak from experience.

Buying on a budget is all good and well, however buying old tech means you don't get the benefits of the current chipsets eg. all SATA3 ports, energy saving etc.

Either chip will perform similarly though, so it's all your choice.

3770K will kill everything. No need to spend more. You can overclock yours to get better than 4770K performance. I speak from experience.

That makes total sense maybe a stock 4770K but if you overclock the 4770K as well it definitely gets beat...

Buying on a budget is all good and well, however buying old tech means you don't get the benefits of the current chipsets eg. all SATA3 ports, energy saving etc.

Either chip will perform similarly though, so it's all your choice.

There's only a 10$ price difference so it's not that bad.

There's only a 10$ price difference so it's not that bad.

If it's only $10 I'd 100% go for the 4770K and Z87 chipset combo. Hands down

If it's only $10 I'd 100% go for the 4770K and Z87 chipset combo. Hands down

What would you recommend for a 3-way SLI capable motherboard?

What would you recommend for a 3-way SLI capable motherboard?

Budget? Location?

Budget? Location?

I can drop ~300$ on a motherboard, although if there's a good quality motherboard that's only 200$ and is similar in performance to a 300$ motherboard, obviously I'd go with the 200$. 

I can drop ~300$ on a motherboard, although if there's a good quality motherboard that's only 200$ and is similar in performance to a 300$ motherboard, obviously I'd go with the 200$. 

Location? And 3-way SLI is definitely something you're going to need?

Location? And 3-way SLI is definitely something you're going to need?

South-west USA, and I'm eventually going to get 3 monitors once the TI gets a price drop(I assume in a year or two?) Only thing that i'd be worried about is if the 4770k could handle it or if I'd have to bump up to the 2011 socket CPU's. 

South-west USA, and I'm eventually going to get 3 monitors once the TI gets a price drop(I assume in a year or two?) Only thing that i'd be worried about is if the 4770k could handle it or if I'd have to bump up to the 2011 socket CPU's. 

I'd suggest 2-way SLI for three monitors, I'm presuming at 1080p? The third 780Ti won't be worth it with the limited gains you'd get from the SLI (roughly 25%).

Those two cards will run happily on a 4770K. The only reason to jump to 2011 would be 3/4-way SLI needing the extra lanes.

Take a look at these boards for reference. It mostly doesn't matter what brand you get, however my personal opinion is only ever ASUS then Gigabyte, the others are backup options.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-maximusvihero

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-gaz87xud5h

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-motherboard-z87mpower