EVGA Announces its DisplayPort Hub

TheProfosist

Today I saw a facebook post for EVGA's new DisplayPort Hub

Im glad to finally have a company that sells their stuff in the US has a DP Hub available but now I actually dont need one. There is one thing that bothers me though and thats the fact that they only list 3x the same monitor resolutions as being compatible. However Club3D's DP Hub for example can do 1x 2560x1600 and 2x 1920x1080. I really hope this is just EVGA thinking some one is only going to use it for surround not that it actually has those restrictions.

cool

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

Very interesting and nice on the part of EVGA. I see this a a valued product with some multi-screening users :)

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Once you got triple screen 4K monitors that thing will totally cook three slices of bacons in a matter of seconds.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

Once you got triple screen 4K monitors that thing will totally cook three slices of bacons in a matter of seconds.

The EVGA Hub? It doesnt even do 3x 4K since 1 4K taxes a current gen DP port more than enough.

Isn't displayport daisy chainable...?

I haven't bought a monitor in a while, I just assumed they would all be doing a DP in and out.

I haven't bought a monitor in a while, I just assumed they would all be doing a DP in and out.

yes If everything you have support it I think thats DP 1.2, also the monitor has to have DP in and DP out jacks. Which since DP is just now getting less rare on monitors there are few that has it. The only one I know does from personal experience is the PA279Q.

Yes, DP can daisy chain, but a lot of consumer and even some professional monitors don't have an in and out.

yes If everything you have support it I think thats DP 1.2, also the monitor has to have DP in and DP out jacks. Which since DP is just now getting less rare on monitors there are few that has it. The only one I know does from personal experience is the PA279Q.

Yes, DP can daisy chain, but a lot of consumer and even some professional monitors don't have an in and out.

Its crazy how long these things take to catch on...

Pretty much every GPU and laptop has had DP out for 2-3 years now, and you still can't freaking daisy chain them which I personally think is a key feature. Oh well, I'm sure it will happen eventually.

Its crazy how long these things take to catch on...

Pretty much every GPU and laptop has had DP out for 2-3 years now, and you still can't freaking daisy chain them which I personally think is a key feature. Oh well, I'm sure it will happen eventually.

Nvidia Geforce GPU's had had it standard since the 600 series and it was an option, that not many companies utilized, on the 400 and 500 series. I know AMD had mini display port sooner than nvidia for consumer stuff but it has no means been standard in the consumer market for 2-3 years. Also business laptops have had DP for at least 3 years now, however I didnt really see them on consumer laptops until the ultrabooks started coming out. Even then its only really picked up this last year. I also believe that the daisy chaining was added in 1.2 which is definitely only on the more recent stuff.

Not sure why mini displayport isn't catching on. Sure thunderbolt uses the same connector, but there aren't too many monitors. Not like there are compatibility issues since it is the same connector, and it's not like mini display connectors break (do they? they seem pretty solid)

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

Not sure why mini displayport isn't catching on. Sure thunderbolt uses the same connector, but there aren't too many monitors. Not like there are compatibility issues since it is the same connector, and it's not like mini display connectors break (do they? they seem pretty solid)

Why use the smaller port when the normal one fits just fine (like on the back of monitors)? Also the normal one is locking.

Why use the smaller port when the normal one fits just fine (like on the back of monitors)? Also the normal one is locking.

I have never had the use of locking connector; even on dvi I usually don't tighten them up and they still stay on fine. And mini dp has feels like it won't be more likely to fall out than a standart usb connector. 

I have never had the use of locking connector; even on dvi I usually don't tighten them up and they still stay on fine. And mini dp has feels like it won't be more likely to fall out than a standart usb connector.

Which is why its fine on portable stuff but on stuff that isnt so portable and yo have the room a locking connector is always better. They do make locking options to usb and HDMI. the USB one looks basically like a serial port and the HDMi one has once thumb screw on the top.

Which is why its fine on portable stuff but on stuff that isnt so portable and yo have the room a locking connector is always better. They do make locking options to usb and HDMI. the USB one looks basically like a serial port and the HDMi one has once thumb screw on the top.

well if they have one connector for one peice of gear and another for a different piece of gear, I still have to have and adapter for one of the cases which doesn't seem ideal to me

well if they have one connector for one peice of gear and another for a different piece of gear, I still have to have and adapter for one of the cases which doesn't seem ideal to me

this is always going to haoppen as a different connector is more optimal for other purposes than another.

Mini display port will probably never be on the monitor end, only the graphics card end and even then only on cards that need to have so many connectors a standard DP won't fit. A standard display port connector is basically exactly the same size as HDMI which is actually pretty small when you are talking about how much room is available for connectors for the monitor.

Mini display port will probably never be on the monitor end, only the graphics card end and even then only on cards that need to have so many connectors a standard DP won't fit. A standard display port connector is basically exactly the same size as HDMI which is actually pretty small when you are talking about how much room is available for connectors for the monitor.

Mini dp has actually been on monitors for years now. Dell has had some and so has Apple's cinema display

Mini dp has actually been on monitors for years now. Dell has had some and so has Apple's cinema display

Apples monitors are actual thunderbolt, I dont know about dell though can you link me to an example?

Apples monitors are actual thunderbolt, I dont know about dell though can you link me to an example?

the old Apple Cinema displays used mini dp. The new displays from apple are called the Thunderbolt displays, not Cinema displays. Here is a list of some dell monitors with mini dp http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors/?filter=503360_17735874_

the old Apple Cinema displays used mini dp. The new displays from apple are called the Thunderbolt displays, not Cinema displays. Here is a list of some dell monitors with mini dp http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors/?filter=503360_17735874_

So their 3 2013 models? Also im not surprised as it probably for mac compatibility for the most part as I know a few people that use Dell monitors with their Mac Pro's. Also not many people will be plugging portable devices into those monitors, so i doubt its for that.

O and Apples new ones are called thunderbolt because that what they use. It carries the video, audio, and all of the data the ports on the monitor use. Its quite slick but there is almost no adoption on the PC front. My guess its because the best use for it now would be for professional use and X79 doesnt have thunderbolt capability. Only haswell has true thunderbolt ports. Ivy had a header but yo ustill had to run video from a different device via a displayport cable.

So their 3 2013 models? Also im not surprised as it probably for mac compatibility for the most part as I know a few people that use Dell monitors with their Mac Pro's. Also not many people will be plugging portable devices into those monitors, so i doubt its for that.

O and Apples new ones are called thunderbolt because that what they use. It carries the video, audio, and all of the data the ports on the monitor use. Its quite slick but there is almost no adoption on the PC front. My guess its because the best use for it now would be for professional use and X79 doesnt have thunderbolt capability. Only haswell has true thunderbolt ports. Ivy had a header but yo ustill had to run video from a different device via a displayport cable.

Yeah, i'm aware of thunderbolt. And ivy also has support for native thunderbolt.  here's just one of the mobo's supporting it :http://www.anandtech.com/show/5904/gigabyte-dual-thunderbolt-on-z77

And the reaons x79 doesn't support it is because they don't have integrated graphics, a necessity for thunderbolt because as you mentioned, thunderbolt carries a video signal, atleast for now.

Today I saw a facebook post for EVGA's new DisplayPort Hub

Im glad to finally have a company that sells their stuff in the US has a DP Hub available but now I actually dont need one. There is one thing that bothers me though and thats the fact that they only list 3x the same monitor resolutions as being compatible. However Club3D's DP Hub for example can do 1x 2560x1600 and 2x 1920x1080. I really hope this is just EVGA thinking some one is only going to use it for surround not that it actually has those restrictions.

How can Club3d do that? If you're playing a game how will the FPS be? The 1600 will have less FPS but the 1080 will have more FPS, will it be balanced out?

I'm a bit confused. 

Selling my parts of my 900D rig for a jacked up Ncase M1. PM me for offers if interested (will take some reasonable-low offers because I'm desperate).

Parts that I'm selling: 900D (1 slot cover broken for stealth DVD drive mod) | Asus Z87 Deluxe | Cooler Master 212 Evo | Corsair 4x2GB black ram @1600mhz | EVGA 1000G2 PSU (2 cables with missing heat shrink) | DVD drive | HP membrane keyboard | Ducky Shine 3 YOTS in blue switches (warranty sticker broken)

Yeah, i'm aware of thunderbolt. And ivy also has support for native thunderbolt.  here's just one of the mobo's supporting it :http://www.anandtech.com/show/5904/gigabyte-dual-thunderbolt-on-z77

And the reaons x79 doesn't support it is because they don't have integrated graphics, a necessity for thunderbolt because as you mentioned, thunderbolt carries a video signal, atleast for now.

oh i didnt know that there were board they did it with Ivy, im guessing there were a very limited number then.

You could bring DP into it with a cable. As far as im aware it isnt on the chipset as all which is probably because it kinda behind launch cycle wise.

How can Club3d do that? If you're playing a game how will the FPS be? The 1600 will have less FPS but the 1080 will have more FPS, will it be balanced out?

I'm a bit confused.

Because they are not using it for surround just to run 3 monitors off 1 DP port. DP until recently has only been on business grade stuff mostly and those people usually wouldnt be running surround. I was looking into one at the time for that exact reason 3 monitors all different each with their purpose.

oh i didnt know that there were board they did it with Ivy, im guessing there were a very limited number then.

You could bring DP into it with a cable. As far as im aware it isnt on the chipset as all which is probably because it kinda behind launch cycle wise.

Because they are not using it for surround just to run 3 monitors off 1 DP port. DP until recently has only been on business grade stuff mostly and those people usually wouldnt be running surround. I was looking into one at the time for that exact reason 3 monitors all different each with their purpose.

No, I'm pretty sure they were as popular as they are now. Asus had atleast 2-3 boards with thunderbolt, and MSI had 1-2, and then gigabyte had alteast one.