15 amp fuse in place of 10 amp fuse in fuse box

Hi, so I am installing some aftermarket horns in my car and the car originally came with a single horn hooked up to a 10 amp fuse. Now that I am installing a pair of aftermarket horns, I used ohm's law to calculate the total power draw, and I'm looking at around 11 amps (aka 5.5 amps per horn). I know that my 10 amp fuse with blow up if i were to hook up both horns but would I be fine if i swap out the 10 amp fuse for a 15 amp fuse? I know that installing a bigger fuse in a smaller fuse spot could be bad if there is a short circuit since it would cause a fire, but in my case i should be fine right? What are you guy's thoughts on this? I'd like to hear from people with electrical knowledge down on the comment section below. 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

4 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

Hi, so I am installing some aftermarket horns in my car and the car originally came with a single horn hooked up to a 10 amp fuse. Now that I am installing a pair of aftermarket horns, I used ohm's law to calculate the total power draw, and I'm looking at around 11 amps (aka 5.5 amps per horn). I know that my 10 amp fuse with blow up if i were to hook up both horns but would I be fine if i swap out the 10 amp fuse for a 15 amp fuse? I know that installing a bigger fuse in a smaller fuse spot could be bad if there is a short circuit since it would cause a fire, but in my case i should be fine right? What are you guy's thoughts on this? I'd like to hear people with electrical knowledge thoughts down on the comment section. 

if the wire can support it you should be fine if not you can have a fire or just have the wire melt which ant good either , either find out this your self,google it or ask your auto-mechanic

main rig

Spoiler

corsair 750d | evga 1000w g2 | Gigabyte x99 soc champ | 5820k 4.0GHz | 1tb wd blue | 250gb samsung 840 evo  | Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB 8x2 DDR4-2400 | MSI GTX 970 x2 | monitor Acer B286HK 28" 4K | razor chroma blackwidow  | razor death adder chroma

CENTOS 7 SERVER (PLEX&docker stuff)

Spoiler

NZXT s220 | evga 500w 80+ | AMD FX 8320e | ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 | 2x8gb non ecc ddr3 WD red 2TBx2 | seagate 160gb microcenter 8gb flashdrive OS

4 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

Hi, so I am installing some aftermarket horns in my car and the car originally came with a single horn hooked up to a 10 amp fuse. Now that I am installing a pair of aftermarket horns, I used ohm's law to calculate the total power draw, and I'm looking at around 11 amps (aka 5.5 amps per horn). I know that my 10 amp fuse with blow up if i were to hook up both horns but would I be fine if i swap out the 10 amp fuse for a 15 amp fuse? I know that installing a bigger fuse in a smaller fuse spot could be bad if there is a short circuit since it would cause a fire, but in my case i should be fine right? What are you guy's thoughts on this? I'd like to hear people with electrical knowledge thoughts down on the comment section. 

I would advise against it, because if something goes wrong and draws too much power, the Fuse won't do it's job (won't blow), and could fry the horns, or, as noted, maybe cause a fire.

If you can, try and get a 12 A fuse (Dunno if you can get an 11 A one).

And yeah, as @gamerking noted, you've got to make sure the wire is proper gauge to handle 11 A in any case.

But in theory, if everything lines up, it could maybe work.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

depends on the type of fuse, fast blow or slow blow

but 15A is fine

Hmmm I wouldn't. The wire should probably be okay, but if it is too light then the uprated fuse won't blow, and instead either the horn will be fried or the wires will heat to the point where they melt, possibly starting a fire.

Why do the new horns draw more than the original?

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

Just now, Rangaman42 said:

Hmmm I wouldn't. The wire should probably be okay, but if it is too light then the uprated fuse won't blow, and instead either the horn will be fried or the wires will heat to the point where they melt, possibly starting a fire.

Why do the new horns draw more than the original?

because they are bigger and louder horns. plus it has 2 horns rather than a single horn. 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

1 minute ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

because they are bigger and louder horns. plus it has 2 horns rather than a single horn. 

Oh okay. I mean I guess you'll be okay with the 15A fuse, although personally, I wouldn't do it (mainly because I wouldn't replace my horn, I don't see the point but you do you).

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

Yeah bro, he doesnt know what hes talking about.

15A is fine bro.

To be on the safe side I'd run new cable (leaving the original in place) so you can be 100% sure it's a minimum of 15A cable and fit an inline fuse. The original cable is almost certainly, probably, fine, but for the cost of a few metres of 15A cable and an inline fuse it's not worth the risk. It may also save you cutting the plug of the original loom which will make it easier to return to stock if/when you sell it.

15 hours ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

Hi, so I am installing some aftermarket horns in my car and the car originally came with a single horn hooked up to a 10 amp fuse. Now that I am installing a pair of aftermarket horns, I used ohm's law to calculate the total power draw, and I'm looking at around 11 amps (aka 5.5 amps per horn). I know that my 10 amp fuse with blow up if i were to hook up both horns but would I be fine if i swap out the 10 amp fuse for a 15 amp fuse? I know that installing a bigger fuse in a smaller fuse spot could be bad if there is a short circuit since it would cause a fire, but in my case i should be fine right? What are you guy's thoughts on this? I'd like to hear from people with electrical knowledge down on the comment section below. 

Knowing the year, make, and model of the car would help. In general, assuming 16AWG and nothing else runs off the circuit it should be fine. Your horns are only run momentarily, and the switch side (usually the weak point in a circuit) powers a relay rather than the whole circuit. They wouldn't run long enough for the increased current flow to cause heat in the wire. 

Also remember while running your car will be at a higher voltage. Anywhere between 13-14.4 volts. Which will reduce your current draw if you haven't taken that in account. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

Bad idea, even worst with socket breakers @ homes. 

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)

Difference between 10A and 15A on a wire, is very small.

20awg to 19awg