Best Mechanical Keyboards for Programming?

Hi guys,

so i'm looking to buy a new keyboard and i have no idea of which one to buy. I want it to be mechanical and easy to type on. I was considering the corsair K65, but im not too sure whether i want it or not. What keyboards do you guys use and possibly recommend(English Keyboards would be great!). I was also considering the CODE Keyboard for programming. Do any of you guys know where i could order this from in the UK?

Thanks.

Also, anything around 60 - 80 quid would be good. Thanks!

Edited by Trippyninja

Kind of depends on your personal preferance

Hope I could help!

Specs: CPU: AMD FX-8320 @4.0ghz GPU: ASUS DCUII GTX 770 PSU: EVGA Supernova 750g CASE: Fractal Define R4 RAM: 8 Gigabytes ADATA 1333 Mhz MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3

MX Blue switches, keyboard wahtever

I don't want it to be too loud so i was considering Reds or Browns. Also any smaller keyboards like the K65 would be nice.

I like the Qpad - MK80 In Mx blue or brown.

Main: AMD Athlon X4 750K| Coolermaster Hyper TX3 EVO | Gigabyte GA-F2A75M-HD2 | 8GB Kingston 1333mhz | WD Caviar Green 1tb | Coolermaster N200 | OCZ coreXstream 500w | Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB | |Kingston 3k ssd 128gb |

Kind of depends on your personal preferance

Well i dont have much experience with mechanical keyboards so far, and i heard they are great for long period typing sessions. So iw as hoping some other programmers out there would recommend some good ones. :P

I would say Black switches.

Also, look out for the Dell AT-102w

Compatible with Windows 95

"When in doubt, don't take your wallet out." - Dad

† TTCF Member †

I would say Black switches.

Also, look out for the Dell AT-102w

Haha :D I love how so many programmers use such old school keyboards.

I don't want it to be too loud so i was considering Reds or Browns. Also any smaller keyboards like the K65 would be nice.

You'll be typing a lot, I'm a programmer too and I use the Tournament Edition of the Blackwidow, so it's smaller. It feels amazing even after staying up the whole night coding.

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

You'll be typing a lot, I'm a programmer too and I use the Tournament Edition of the Blackwidow, so it's smaller. It feels amazing even after staying up the whole night coding.

Hmm... I'm not too keen on gaming keyboards due to there pointless features that cause them to be overpriced for no reason.

Hmm... I'm not too keen on gaming keyboards due to there pointless features that cause them to be overpriced for no reason.

it's $75 and it doesn't have that many features, it has gaming mode that locks windows, and a function that lets you overwrite any key to make it do whatever you want.

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

it's $75 and it doesn't have that many features, it has gaming mode that locks windows, and a function that lets you overwrite any key to make it do whatever you want.

I may consider it looking at it. It's either that or the K65. Just have to wait for bloody amazon to refund me my money as i ordered the wrong item and realised once it had been dispatched -.-

Coolermaster QuickFire TK, Blues if you are not bothered about noise, Browns if you want a more silent blue.

Cherry mx blacks might go alright.

You can try sourcing for Keycool, here're some from MK:

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/search.php?keyword=keycool&switch_id=ALL&size=Tenkeyless&man=ALL&key_plastic=ALL&interface=ALL&cord_length=ALL&usb_kro=ALL&ps2_kro=ALL&x=79&y=17&in_stock=on

Keycool is of pretty good quality, and I'd rate it easily as good as Razer (or even better) in term of build quality. I've had ample opportunities to buy Razer keyboards, but I'd refused to taint my collection with a Razer.....but when I'd the chance to get a Keycool keyboard, or two, I'd jumped on them. Below is a pic of the two KC keyboards I have, a white KC 87 MX Brown with white PBT key caps, and a KC 84 LED MX Black.Pardon the bad quality of the pic, taken at low resolution....

20131001_182753_zps12b96644.jpg

BTW, have you actually tried an MX Brown or MX Black keyboard? It's best for you to at least try them before committing to a purchase, you are your own best judge as to what switch type would suit you best. I started out liking Red, then Blue and Brown, then Black, Green and Clear.....my current fave MX switches tend to be the heavier/stiffer ones like Clear, Black and Green.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

I'm using a CM storm quickfire rapid w/Cherry Blacks, and I really believe that it is a great budget mechanical keyboard.  It doesn't have any useless features that jack up the price, and it fits in a small form factor.  I bought mine for 69 US dollars, and you can get it for below 80 If you look hard enough.  Another benefit is that it comes in almost every common cherry switch type.  Coolermaster also released a "stealth" edition, which is the same keyboard but with front-printed key caps.  If you want a good starter keyboard to get your feet wet with mechanical switches,  I recommend any of coolermaster's wide range of options.  Hope this helped!

Edit:  Sorry! I forgot that you wanted to order in the UK.  Nor worries, Coolemaster is very well-known , so you should have no trouble finding a reputable vendor where you live.  Again, I hope I at least helped a little!

Edited by Grape Guild