Why NOT to get the 760/770 4GB

TechSage

Okay so in a nutshell, don't get the 760 or 770 4GB version because the memory bus simply isn't big enough to accommodate for the amount of VRAM that it has.

The general rule of thumb is 128 bit per gigabyte of VRAM. But the 770 has 256 bit bus so that means that 2GB of VRAM can be used, but not 4GB since it just isn't big enough. If you look at the R9 290X, it has a 512 bit bus, so that means it can use all 4GB of VRAM that it has.

Edit: Although you  may use a little over 2GB, there is so much data going through the bus and due to the bus not being big enough, it will drop your FPS.

Feel free to link this if someone doesn't know why everyone is saying not to get the 770 4GB 

Update: It's confirmed, you don't benefit by getting the 4GB version (this benchmark is only for the 770): http://alienbabeltech.com/main/gtx-770-4gb-vs-2gb-tested/3/

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

I want a gtx 770 ti then a R9 200 series because they only give BF4 and Nvidia offers more games

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

Interesting... Then why they made 4gb versions of those cards?

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

"Hey that card has more GB than that one so it must be better"

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

to lure people into believing they are getting a better card. its easier to satisfy people with what they want (MORE RAM0 then to teach to them that in some cases it can do absolutely nothing. as in this case

The 4GB of vram can be used, but currently the only game to utilize it would be Skyrim with a lot of texture mods. Maybe other games with high resolutions and high levels of AA. At that point, both cards would crawl, even if most of their vram was being used.

5820K - ASUS X99-A - 16GB Corsair LPX - HD 7970 GHz - Qnix 1440p @ 96Hz - Waiting for Polaris/Pascal

The 4GB of vram can be used, but currently the only game to utilize it would be Skyrim with a lot of texture mods. Maybe other games with high resolutions and high levels of AA. At that point, both cards would crawl, even if most of their vram was being used.

Still incorrect, no matter what the game or much RAM it uses, the memory bus cannot use all the VRAM, so essentially you are paying extra for nothing

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

I want a gtx 770 ti then a R9 200 series because they only give BF4 and Nvidia offers more games

My tip would be, wait for Maxwell (Nvidia's new Architecture) if you don't want to go AMD then don't go 760 or 770 since the 2GB VRAM will hold you back in the future, or you can go for 780 or 780Ti

My tip would be, wait for Maxwell (Nvidia's new Architecture) if you don't want to go AMD then don't go 760 or 770 since the 2GB VRAM will hold you back in the future, or you can go for 780 or 780Ti

MOAR RAM!

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

Guys, when is Maxvell expected? I'm think to buy GTX 780 or wait for Maxwell? I can't decide.. What would you do if you were me?

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

Still incorrect, no matter what the game or much RAM it uses, the memory bus cannot use all the VRAM, so essentially you are paying extra for nothing

Do you have a source?  You got me interested..

5820K - ASUS X99-A - 16GB Corsair LPX - HD 7970 GHz - Qnix 1440p @ 96Hz - Waiting for Polaris/Pascal

Do you have a source?  You got me interested..

Google it, I'm going out so I can't right now but it shouldn't be hard to find.

Guys, when is Maxvell expected? I'm think to buy GTX 780 or wait for Maxwell? I can't decide.. What would you do if you were me?

Q1 2014

A 512-Bit 4GB 770Ti or a 384-Bit 3GB 760Ti would be awesome.

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

Q1 2014

month?

month?

don't know

Q1 2014

Imo I doubt it. 4-7 months if its 28nm 8-10 for 20nm and that's being optimistic about 20nm yields vs demand.

4770k @4.4 / 16GB @2400 / Plextor MP5X 128GB / MSI Mpower Z87 / MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC / AX860 / XSPC RX240 & EX240 / Koolance 380i / CM 690 II / Qnix 1440p @96Hz / Benq XL2420G

Current Status: Mourning the loss of my 780 ti 

Imo I doubt it. 4-7 months if its 28nm 8-10 for 20nm and that's being optimistic about 20nm yields vs demand.

It's coming in March

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-roadmap-confirms-20nm-maxwell-gpus-2014-kepler-refresh-arrives-1h-2013/

Okay so in a nutshell, don't get the 760 or 770 4GB version because the memory bus simply isn't big enough to accommodate for the amount of VRAM that it has.

The general rule of thumb is 128 bit per gigabyte of VRAM. But the 770 has 256 bit bus so that means that 2GB of VRAM can be used, but not 4GB since it just isn't big enough. If you look at the R9 290X, it has a 512 bit bus, so that means it can use all 4GB of VRAM that it has.

Feel free to link this if someone doesn't know why everyone is saying not to get the 770 4GB 

Sorry, but this is false information.

Even with all my high res texture mods and enb stuff I never exceed 2GB of vram in skyrim.

A rumor site from 1 year ago... and only a 3 month life span for their flag ship gtx card that just launched? I don't think so. Unless tsmc has magical fabs with 100% yeilds or apple loosens their stranglehold on TSMCs 20nm chips we won't see an nvidia 20nm gpu for a while. If I had to guess amd will be the first to launch 20nm then nvidia 1q later.

4770k @4.4 / 16GB @2400 / Plextor MP5X 128GB / MSI Mpower Z87 / MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC / AX860 / XSPC RX240 & EX240 / Koolance 380i / CM 690 II / Qnix 1440p @96Hz / Benq XL2420G

Current Status: Mourning the loss of my 780 ti 

A rumor site from 1 year ago... and only a 3 month life span for their flag ship gtx card that just launched? I don't think so. Unless tsmc has magical fabs with 100% yeilds or apple loosens their stranglehold on TSMCs 20nm chips we won't see an nvidia 20nm gpu for a while. If I had to guess amd will be the first to launch 20nm then nvidia 1q later.

There are other websites too, look at them

There are other websites too, look at them

Its can use more than 2gb, it just can't use the full 4gb. If you do the maths you'll find its around 3.4gb therefore you aren't paying something for nothing. Also my gt610 has a 64bit memory bus. The highest memory usage i've had was over 1.2gb through a 64bit bus.

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

Even with all my high res texture mods and enb stuff I never exceed 2GB of vram in skyrim.

Sounds like it's not modded enough :)   I see @ 1080P 2.8GB of vram use.