Akasa Cobra Power Supply?

managash

Has anyone had any experience with this power supply or any links to unboxings/reviews. It's on a pretty good deal and has all black ribbon cables which makes me wonder is it's too good to be true.

Here's the link to the deal for the 850W version. 

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-072-AK

Thanks in advance for any help

i would not trust it. it could be like an rebranded thortech

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

Has anyone had any experience with this power supply or any links to unboxings/reviews. It's on a pretty good deal and has all black ribbon cables which makes me wonder is it's too good to be true.

Here's the link to the deal for the 850W version. 

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-072-AK

Thanks in advance for any help

Well it is on offer and technically its only semi-modular but looks like a good deal. I don't exactly know how reliable their power supplies are though.

I can't find any reviews of it anywhere.. It's not even rated at least 80plus bronze. $80 for 850w is really fishy. I would personally avoid it

Since it appears to be not rated, I would in general avoid this (or any other unrated) PSU! The PSU is one of the few parts, where you shouldn't cheap out! 

If you really want flat cables, the RM - Series PSU's from Corsair might be worth a look 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CP-9020054-UK-Series-Modular-Supply/dp/B00FG9FWF8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383050846&sr=8-1&keywords=Corsair+RM650

The RM - Series is currently one of the best deals in PC tech. It's 80+ Gold and fully modular. Of course, if you want more watts, you're going to pay more, but again it's really worth the extra. You want your PSU to be very reliable (as this is most likely going to be the longest lasting item in your PC) and deliver clean power to your components to not have any problems with overclocking or longevity of your components! :)

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

Thanks for the quick replies. It does seem a bit weird, I'll keep looking unless anyone has any personal experience

Since it appears to be not rated, I would in general avoid this (or any other unrated) PSU! The PSU is one of the few parts, where you shouldn't cheap out! 

If you really want flat cables, the RM - Series PSU's from Corsair might be worth a look 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CP-9020054-UK-Series-Modular-Supply/dp/B00FG9FWF8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383050846&sr=8-1&keywords=Corsair+RM650

The RM - Series is currently one of the best deals in PC tech. It's 80+ Gold and fully modular. Of course, if you want more watts, you're going to pay more, but again it's really worth the extra. You want your PSU to be very reliable (as this is most likely going to be the longest lasting item in your PC) and deliver clean power to your components to not have any problems with overclocking or longevity of your components! :)

I was looking at the RM power supplies but the 850W version was just too expensive, but you get what you pay for, I think I'll opt for the 650W version and carry on saving those pennies :), thanks

I was looking at the RM power supplies but the 850W version was just too expensive, but you get what you pay for, I think I'll opt for the 650W version and carry on saving those pennies :), thanks

I don't know, what Specs you're running, but unless it's something with serious horsepower, meaning High End SLI, I don't think that you really need anything more than the 750W and depending on the efficiency 780 SLI on 750W can also be achieved, that is when you're not going crazy on the overclock. 

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

Get psus from xfx, seasonic, pcpower&cooling, corsair. Dont get the cm or rm series from corsair. They have crappy (FORGOT THE NAME!!) in them.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

Get psus from xfx, seasonic, pcpower&cooling, corsair. Dont get the cm or rm series from corsair. They have crappy (FORGOT THE NAME!!) in them.

Seasonic, XFX and Corsair are the same power supplies basically. They're all re - branded Seasonic PSU, and the X - Series from Seasonic (RM Series Corsair) are great and very reliable PSU! No bad capasitors whatsoever, but very high quality components. 

Seasonic, XFX and Corsair are the same power supplies basically. They're all re - branded Seasonic PSU, and the X - Series from Seasonic (RM Series Corsair) are great and very reliable PSU! No bad capasitors whatsoever, but very high quality components. 

The back end capacitors are quite bad in the corsair one from what i have heard. The warranty is quite nice so i guess its fine.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

The back end capacitors are quite bad in the corsair one from what i have heard. The warranty is quite nice so i guess its fine.

Again, Corsair doesn't change anything but adding Corsair Link, at least from my understanding. Seasonic is one of, if not the best manufacturer of consumer grade PSU's. Saying Seasonic is bad, is like saying Mercedes is bad :D 

Okay, that was a weak comparision, but you get my meaning ;) 

There's only three Corsair units that are manufactured by Seasonic that hasn't been discontinued - Six if you wish to count the TXv2 that is still be sold in store. These units are the HX650v2 (Seasonic G), AX 760/860 (KM3), and TXv2 650/750/850 (SS-***AT).

The vast majority of Corsair power supplies are made by Channel Well Tech. I believe 22 units within the VS, CX, GS, TX, RM, and HX series if I have done my addition correctly in my head. The 450-650w and 1000w model are CWT and 750-850w are Hipro.

There have been various of discussion on this site as well as site like Jonnyguru regarding the cap choice in the RM (CapXon and Ltec).

I haven't heard about that brand. I checked their site. It looks crappy. Power supply doesn't even have 80+ certificate and it's very cheap for 850watts psu. So I wouldn't recommend that power supply.

I found only this: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Akasa-CobraPower-PSU,22931.html

one of the comments:

"Looks like they are Sirtec units http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page7625.htm

They lack even an 80+ certification."

And generally, I would suggest you avoid PSUs that doesn't have 80+ certificate.

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |