Hardline workshop

This will work for PETG tubing right?

Yes,however using PETG is an unknown,its water permeable and turns yellow with exposure to UV.

If PETG was so good for watercooling,manufacturers would be using it for block tops etc....they dont because it isnt.

SR-2-2x X5650 Xeons-3x 670 FTW-1x 120Gb Force GT-1x 240Gb Force GT-1tb WD Green-12Gb Dom GT 1866-Platimax 1500w-2x HK3-2xD5-24v controller-3x RX 480's-3x NiBlk HK GPU blocks-Koolance tops-BP res-15x SP120's-Little Devil V8.

Yes,however using PETG is an unknown,its water permeable and turns yellow with exposure to UV.

If PETG was so good for watercooling,manufacturers would be using it for block tops etc....they dont because it isnt.

It only turns yellow in extreme exposure to UV rays, I would like to see where you got the information that it is water permeable.

Check out my Build Log: Project Contrast

Is it worth it to buy the monsoon kit if I was only going to use it once or twice?

I was debating the same thing. 

It all depends on what you think the "Worth" is I suppose. For me, Not doing hard-line tubing before (Moving to it on my next upgrade) I feel it is worth it. I don't trust myself to get the exact look I want without it, especially on my first go. If I was a full time WC system builder and was doing hard-line once / twice a month it may be more hassle than its worth. I will split the cost with my Farther in law though. I know when I swap to hard-line and do a good Job, he will want me to upgrade his for him. Could be a risk though. Do a poor job and I will of wasted cash on all the Hardline equipment and be ashamed on my rig. Excuse to do it again though.  ;)

1 thing I did spot, is the Monsoon tubing is slightly larger size... Monsoon is 3/8" ID 1/2" OD (13mm)  EK is 10/12mm Is this technically the same? I realize that 1/2 is 12.7mm which is about in the middle. so are they technically the same?

I was debating the same thing. 

It all depends on what you think the "Worth" is I suppose. For me, Not doing hard-line tubing before (Moving to it on my next upgrade) I feel it is worth it. I don't trust myself to get the exact look I want without it, especially on my first go. If I was a full time WC system builder and was doing hard-line once / twice a month it may be more hassle than its worth. I will split the cost with my Farther in law though. I know when I swap to hard-line and do a good Job, he will want me to upgrade his for him. Could be a risk though. Do a poor job and I will of wasted cash on all the Hardline equipment and be ashamed on my rig. Excuse to do it again though.  ;)

1 thing I did spot, is the Monsoon tubing is slightly larger size... Monsoon is 3/8" ID 1/2" OD (13mm)  EK is 10/12mm Is this technically the same? I realize that 1/2 is 12.7mm which is about in the middle. so are they technically the same?

No, not the same, I'm pretty sure you have to use EK fitting with their tubing.

No, not the same, I'm pretty sure you have to use EK fitting with their tubing.

That would make sense. I generally would use the Fittings made by the tube manufacturer...

How would this affect the mandrels? I mean if the EK tubing doesn't work in the mandrals that limits your choices. As I don't trust myself without the mandrels, does this limit me to using the Monsoon solution? looking at the prices here in the UK, it would be about the same price...

It only turns yellow in extreme exposure to UV rays, I would like to see where you got the information that it is water permeable.

http://www.plasticsmachining.com/magazine/199802/petg.html

Its primary used for food and medical packaging,PET is used for fluid based materials.

PETG is gas and water permeable.

PET's primary market is packaging for soft drinks, bottled water, fruit-based beverages and iced teas. PETG is chiefly utilized in food, medical and electronic packaging

"We foresee improvement in impact strength, service life and resistance to hot water, as well as a broadening of the size range produced, leading to new applications," said Leger regarding the market for PET.

Remember that PET is better for fluids.......not PETG. Hot water temps not given however.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=HJr7aQKXAPQC&pg=PA187&lpg=PA187&dq=is+PETG+water+permeable&source=bl&ots=jAMA5eI4WE&sig=N2My40HEJOFc95KVaFKWZ4R5ypQ&hl=en&sa=X&ei=74p7U6WuHoyVhQetr4GgDQ&ved=0CG0Q6AEwBg#v=onepage&q=is%20PETG%20water%20permeable&f=false

See that the application list is restricted to oil bases.

SR-2-2x X5650 Xeons-3x 670 FTW-1x 120Gb Force GT-1x 240Gb Force GT-1tb WD Green-12Gb Dom GT 1866-Platimax 1500w-2x HK3-2xD5-24v controller-3x RX 480's-3x NiBlk HK GPU blocks-Koolance tops-BP res-15x SP120's-Little Devil V8.

http://www.plasticsmachining.com/magazine/199802/petg.html

Its primary used for food and medical packaging,PET is used for fluid based materials.

PETG is gas and water permeable.

Remember that PET is better for fluids.......not PETG. Hot water temps not given however.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=HJr7aQKXAPQC&pg=PA187&lpg=PA187&dq=is+PETG+water+permeable&source=bl&ots=jAMA5eI4WE&sig=N2My40HEJOFc95KVaFKWZ4R5ypQ&hl=en&sa=X&ei=74p7U6WuHoyVhQetr4GgDQ&ved=0CG0Q6AEwBg#v=onepage&q=is%20PETG%20water%20permeable&f=false

See that the application list is restricted to oil bases.

Because that TOTALLY explains why PrimoChill now stocks it.

http://www.primochill.com/product/petg/

Primochill jumped on that bandwagon because MNPC said it was okay......with NO long term testing at all.

The same Primochill that brought some of the worst tube ever to market...

Its untested for long term use for our application,you may be the guinea pig if you wish,I will not recommend it until there is.

• 2 weeks later...

Primochill jumped on that bandwagon because MNPC said it was okay......with NO long term testing at all.

The same Primochill that brought some of the worst tube ever to market...

Its untested for long term use for our application,you may be the guinea pig if you wish,I will not recommend it until there is.

How fragile is acrylic? I'm just about to order the tubing for my loop and I agree with you and feel that it would be safer to go with what is known to work well especially considering this is my first water cooling build.

How fragile is acrylic? I'm just about to order the tubing for my loop and I agree with you and feel that it would be safer to go with what is known to work well especially considering this is my first water cooling build.

Its very tough,it lacks impact strength but thats not an issue unless you plan on hitting it with a hammer? xD

Its very strong and has excellent clarity.

I am planning out my first water cooling build, most components have arrived including some basic rigid compression fittings. Though I am deathly scared about popping a leak so I want to be able to drain my loop fast, though the cost of all the extra fittings required to achieve it is quite substantial. What I am saying is can I get away with having no drain valve in my loop?

Random Question: Is this tubing good?

I am planning out my first water cooling build, most components have arrived including some basic rigid compression fittings. Though I am deathly scared about popping a leak so I want to be able to drain my loop fast, though the cost of all the extra fittings required to achieve it is quite substantial. What I am saying is can I get away with having no drain valve in my loop?

Random Question: Is this tubing good?

Yeah, it's good tubing.

Really all you need for a drain is one of these

Drain tap - http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=38528

And a couple extra fittings.

Ignore this

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Ok, @B NEGATIVE

can you tell me a good 1/2inch OD bender uner 50$ and good coper tubing.

Or another size tubing and fittings for it?

And also, where to get copper tubing chromed

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Okay so first post on here and first time attempting this...so yeah: how is it? Lol.

post-77554-0-07952900-1403314721_thumb.j

• 3 weeks later...

There is a 3 part video guide by Monsoon on YouTube, it's well worth checking out, they show you how to precisely measure in 3 dimensions and using the mandrels to make equally precise 3d bends. I've just started working on a hardline build and after watching the guide it's made things a lot more straight forward.

Part 1 - simple right angle:

Part 2 - 2 bends:

Part 3 - 2 bends in different directions:

Those videos were provided to me on reciept of my pre production kit and are already in the 1st post.....and have been for a while.

Why the repost?

I just use the strip wire heater at my school!

Which doesnt work.....

Question: Which is more likely to leak, hardline or flex tubing?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Question: Which is more likely to leak, hardline or flex tubing?

Depends on the quality of install and fittings used.

Neither are likely to leak over the other if installed correctly.

For new builders I would recommend a traditional tube first,not because its easier to fit but rather lets you plan and replan your loop routing easily.

Experience will soon direct you to clean routing techniques then move on to acrylic.

Hmmm would you recommend a heat gun over the bender?

If you've previously won the build off please pm me so we can get something worked out.

Hmmm would you recommend a heat gun over the bender?

Read the first posts.

• 5 weeks later...

Depends on the quality of install and fittings used.

Neither are likely to leak over the other if installed correctly.

For new builders I would recommend a traditional tube first,not because its easier to fit but rather lets you plan and replan your loop routing easily.

Experience will soon direct you to clean routing techniques then move on to acrylic.

Which is more likely to crack over time? (or dryrot, whatever you want to call it)

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

The acrylic tube will last years rather than months that traditional tube lasts.

Copper is for life,you will never need to change it.