Hardline workshop

And as a bonus!

I have been asked a few times now how i bent my pipe for my SR 2 build,so i decided to do a little walk thru.

The tools you will need are these:

RU8F4.jpg

A Cup of Tea...mine was a milky number to get the juices flowing.

A set of benders...these are for half-hard pipe,not annealed pipe as annealed is thin walled and should be bent by hand.

A Cutter for the chosen OD of your tube

A Ruler

Some tape.

I recommend Rothenberger benders,these are high quality and are worth the extra.

Otherwise,you may have to 'mod' the benders..like this:

td7fT.jpg

The top guide was poorly aligned and needed a bit of work before use.

Poorly aligned guides can distort the tube and put creases down the length of the bend.

So..take a bit of tape to make a base mark.

llLB4.jpg

Place the base mark on the 0 point of the bender.

cKJZO.jpg

Line up the guide with the 0 mark.

39Xbb.jpg

Make the bend using constant pressure,dont snatch at it,use nice firm and even pressure.

gMo3C.jpg

Once you have made your bend,measure the distance from the 0 mark and the outer wall of the bend.

9roQO.jpg

This is the radius measurement,in this case 28mm,remember this as it will allow you to make accurate 90-90 bends to go 180 like this.

jMEG4.jpg

To cut the tube to length,use the cutter,rotating the the direction indicated on the tool.

Try to keep everything straight when cutting,the cutter can spiral if its not held 90 to the pipe.

x8Xsc.jpg

This a basic guide,for any specific info,please comment below.

God that chrome rigid tubing looks amazing :P

I wonder how it will look in black on a spray-painted-white ASUS sabertooth :huh:

I just use the strip wire heater at my school!

Hey qwe both have fans!

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Awesome! Just what I was needing thank you so much this was a great tut!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey I'm fairly new to watercooling but at work we do alot of stainless steel airline bending.  I am flirting with the idea of doing a rigid build out of stainless steel lines with compression fittings.  My question for you gentlemen is can I use 1/2" OD Stainless Tubing with standard watercooling (Primochill perhaps?) Rigid tube compression fittings?

• 2 months later...

Wow that seems way to complicated...I think I'll stick to regular tubing for a bit xD

Current PC build: [CPU: Intel i7 8700k] [GPU: GTX 1070 Asus ROG Strix] [Ram: Corsair LPX 32GB 3000MHz] [Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A] [SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB primary + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB secondary] [PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750w 80plus] [Monitors: Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2718Qs, 4k IPS] [Case: Fractal Design R5]

• 3 weeks later...

Metal hardline tubes are simple to ben to your needs, alot easier than the Acrylic based hardline tubes/kits. 

B Neg gets around, lol

Project Gray Scale
Intel Core i7 6900k @ 4.2Ghz - Dominator 32GB DDR4 2400 CL10 - Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB NVMe - 2 Samsung 840 EVO 1TB (Gaming and Sratch) - 2 Barracuda 2TB 
Asus x99 Deluxe - MSI Aero OC GTX 1080Ti - Seasonic 760 XP² - Mod1PC Custom Cables - EKWB CPU & GPU Blocks Nickle/Plexi - EKWB D5 PWM 
EKWB PE360 - Corsair ML120 (6)  - InWin 303- NK65 Entry Watermelon w/ Gat Laseron 70g (205g0 & Filmed) - Logitech G Pro x Superlight
Kanto YU2 - Sennheiser PC360 SE - Acer XF270HU

BUT DOES IT FOLD?! https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=963814

• 2 weeks later...

I'm confused, asked this question a few times, still confused.

What kind of fittings does soft copper need? Any higher risk of leaks?

Thanks.

@B NEGATIVE

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Thanks.

@B NEGATIVE

Exactly the same fittings as acrylic. Tube OD to match the fitting size and thats it.

SR-2-2x X5650 Xeons-3x 670 FTW-1x 120Gb Force GT-1x 240Gb Force GT-1tb WD Green-12Gb Dom GT 1866-Platimax 1500w-2x HK3-2xD5-24v controller-3x RX 480's-3x NiBlk HK GPU blocks-Koolance tops-BP res-15x SP120's-Little Devil V8.

Exactly the same fittings as acrylic. Tube OD to match the fitting size and thats it.

k thanks.

• 1 month later...

Can I ask questions in this thread?

I've gotten 3 bent rigid tubes in my build at the moment and I'm worried about "stress" on the tubing.... On all of them I put the tubing into fitting A, and to get it into fitting B I had to move the tubing ever so slightly.... Over time... can it shatter from stress? It's difficult getting it perfect and just not sure if this is common

Also could you explain "seating depth" I'm assuming that means how far the tubing is into the fitting, I'm assuming the further in, the better?

Enthoo Primo - ASUS Maximus Formula VII - 4790k 4.8ghz 1.28v - EK Supremacy Evo Clean - 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical - 1000w EVGA Supernova Gold - 2x Alphacool Monsta Rads in push/pull - 2x Galaxy 780 HoF with EK waterblock

Build Log http://imgur.com/a/UV6Wh Just want to warn everyone, my build log is pretty mediocre.

• 2 weeks later...

Can I ask questions in this thread?

I've gotten 3 bent rigid tubes in my build at the moment and I'm worried about "stress" on the tubing.... On all of them I put the tubing into fitting A, and to get it into fitting B I had to move the tubing ever so slightly.... Over time... can it shatter from stress? It's difficult getting it perfect and just not sure if this is common

Also could you explain "seating depth" I'm assuming that means how far the tubing is into the fitting, I'm assuming the further in, the better?

Seating depth is exactly that,its the depth that a tube will go into a fitting.

A little bit of play is acceptable.

Acrylic is not as weak as you may think.

SR-2-2x X5650 Xeons-3x 670 FTW-1x 120Gb Force GT-1x 240Gb Force GT-1tb WD Green-12Gb Dom GT 1866-Platimax 1500w-2x HK3-2xD5-24v controller-3x RX 480's-3x NiBlk HK GPU blocks-Koolance tops-BP res-15x SP120's-Little Devil V8.

Seating depth is exactly that,its the depth that a tube will go into a fitting.

A little bit of play is acceptable.

Acrylic is not as weak as you may think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YjQRU7GP6Q

Wow! So relieved to see this. Thanks, B Negative

Enthoo Primo - ASUS Maximus Formula VII - 4790k 4.8ghz 1.28v - EK Supremacy Evo Clean - 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical - 1000w EVGA Supernova Gold - 2x Alphacool Monsta Rads in push/pull - 2x Galaxy 780 HoF with EK waterblock

Build Log http://imgur.com/a/UV6Wh Just want to warn everyone, my build log is pretty mediocre.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

For your rigid tubing, what was the ID/OD that you used? Is there a preferred size and does it make a difference?

• 11 months later...
On 12/29/2014 at 10:18 AM, spwath said:

Thanks.

@B NEGATIVE

copper should use the same fittings as pteg so as long as the fitting and the copper has the same od.

On 8/14/2015 at 7:13 PM, Keeper_of_Precepts said:

For your rigid tubing, what was the ID/OD that you used? Is there a preferred size and does it make a difference?

If you're doing hardline don't worry about id the fitings only hold onto the tuberings outside unlike soft tubeing that has to fit over a barb.

• 3 months later...
On 5/20/2014 at 11:18 PM, B NEGATIVE said:

Primochill jumped on that bandwagon because MNPC said it was okay......with NO long term testing at all.

The same Primochill that brought some of the worst tube ever to market...

Its untested for long term use for our application,you may be the guinea pig if you wish,I will not recommend it until there is.

I have a PETG system up and running for over a year now. 0 leaks, 0 issues with it at all. I have UV lights in my rig, and my white tubes are exactly the same as when I first installed them. My machine is on pretty much 24/7 as well.

• 2 months later...

Rigid tubing related; going to be doing carbon fiber tubing soon. I just can't decide on glossy or matte. I'm asking tons of people on tons of places for opinions.

So, which do you guys think?

_DSC0323_small.jpg_DSC0325_small.jpg_DSC0326_small.jpg_DSC0329_small.jpg

• 1 month later...

any tips for getting the silicon in the tube ive tried oil it always sucks trying to get it in.

Especially bad if you need to bend the middle of a tube.

3800X, Corsiar 32gig 3200mhz LPX, Asus Hero X570. 2080ti black edition

• 11 months later...
On 3/28/2017 at 7:20 PM, kiwibacon said:

any tips for getting the silicon in the tube ive tried oil it always sucks trying to get it in.

Especially bad if you need to bend the middle of a tube.

soap and water 

Rig Specs:

Ryzen 7 1700 3.9ghz @1.33125v Cinebench Scores Best:1750cb Average: 1735cb

Asrock X370 SLI/AC  SOLD

Evga GTX 560 Ti 1gb    Just got a EVGA GTX 780 HydroCopper

G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8gb 2400mhz oc’d to 2666mhz (bought when ram was still cheap :()  

Corsair RM850

Enthoo Pro M Acrylic Changing to a Inwin 301 soon

Custom CPU Loop (watercooling is boring to me right now so I want to go back to air cooling and do like one more WC Loop in a Inwin 301)

Intel 256gb SSD

Kingston 240gb SSD

HyperX 90gb SSD

Not So Shitbox v3 Specs:

I7 2600k oc'd to 4.7 @ 1.4ish (will do more when I get a better cooler) 

MSI P67-GD55  Sold to fund my gpu

Gigabyte Windforce HD 6950

Team Elite Plus 8gb DDR3 (1 stick) @ 1600mhz

Thermaltake Toughpower 750 watt

Cooler Master T4

Enthoo Luxe 

Kingston 120gb SSD

WD Black 1tb HDD

Laptop:

Asus GL552VW-DH71

i7 6700HQ

2x8gb DDR4 

1tb hard drive

GTX 960m

15in IPS 1080p display

• 4 weeks later...

when bending rigid tube ( its my first time) i just managed to make my first bend without wrinkles or anything, but i did notice that in the curve of the bend the tube is flatter on 1 axis, does it happens because it's still too cold or because i overheated?

this is using EKWB PETG 10/12mm tubes, i noticed that when heating the tube the part being heated expands a lot and when i make the bend the diameter of the tube is greater in the bend 14,20mm in 1 axis and 12,10mm in the other.

im using the EKWB hardline kit silicone insert, i tried bending by hand or by using the XSPC bend tool with the same result.

any tips for this issues? pointers?

On 4/12/2018 at 10:34 AM, lacion said:

when bending rigid tube ( its my first time) i just managed to make my first bend without wrinkles or anything, but i did notice that in the curve of the bend the tube is flatter on 1 axis, does it happens because it's still too cold or because i overheated?

this is using EKWB PETG 10/12mm tubes, i noticed that when heating the tube the part being heated expands a lot and when i make the bend the diameter of the tube is greater in the bend 14,20mm in 1 axis and 12,10mm in the other.

im using the EKWB hardline kit silicone insert, i tried bending by hand or by using the XSPC bend tool with the same result.

Heat the part that stretches more than the compressing side. You will still tend to get a bit of flat but its not to bad. Also heat up a larger area on the part that stretches.

• 1 year later...
On 4/12/2018 at 10:34 AM, lacion said:

You will need to heat each sector As you move from one to the other and evenly along the tube. It takes longer but the result is much better as you can see in the picture. It is a gradual Bend allowing the petg to expand.

20190602_123736.jpg

1 hour ago, SeerreuS said:

You will need to heat each sector As you move from one to the other and evenly along the tube. It takes longer but the result is much better as you can see in the picture. It is a gradual Bend allowing the petg to expand.

20190602_123736.jpg

thanks for that, I kinda gave up on 12mm tubing and went to 16mm, in my opinion, its a lot easier to work with and way more forgiving.

• 2 months later...
On 11/5/2013 at 9:08 PM, B NEGATIVE said:

Well,had a bit of a result,Monsoon are sending me a Pro-kit for acrylic tube and some more info in what to expect from them

There are some very cool things being done behind the scenes as well,which im keen to share but its something for someone else to announce

All i can say is that it is an exciting time for Hardliners soon!

When it arrives,pics will be forthcoming in abundance.

That bending kit, come end of this year, when I build my loop (I need components worth cooling by then, new GPUs, memory and PSU) I am so using hard tubing. I've seen too many builds which look a little too awesome to opt out of it. Luckily for me I have a team of engineers/computer guys to help out.