Microsoft issues a global mass recall on Surface Pro 1, 2, and 3 AC power cord

GoodBytes

Microsoft is announcing a global scale recall on the AC cable of the power charger block (PSU), for the Surface Pro 1, 2, and 3.

This cable specifically (Obviously the end that goes on the wall varies based on region):

Surface-power-cord-type-A-en-US.png

211dc2dc-6441-4215-9615-9ea0ae01afdc.png

The "power brick" (power supply) is not affected, only the power cord.

The recall does not affect the Surface Pro 4 users, Surface (non-Pro) 1, 2 and 3, not Surface Book. Only the Surface Pro 1, 2 and 3.

More precisely:

• all first-generation Surface Pro tablets
  • all Surface Pro 2 tablets
  • Surface Pro 3 tablets sold in the US and Canada before March 15, 2015
  • Surface Pro 3 tablets sold in all other markets before July 15, 2015

The issue is due to a possible damage to the power cord if it is wounded too tightly, twisted or pinched over an extended period of time, it can break at the inside, and cause overheating (and potentially a fire).

Microsoft says that they are so far no reports of serious injury, the company did receive complaints from some users, which made the company investigate, and in consultation with safety regulators, confirmed the issue in production of the power cord, and resolved it.

While there are no reports of serious injury, a small number of our customers have reported this issue and we are taking action to address by making free replacement cords available to all eligible customers. The safety of our customers is our top priority.

Microsoft has launched a website for the recall, to verify if you are affected, and place an order for the new power cord.

http://www.surface.com/powercord

Source: https://blogs.windows.com/devices/2016/01/21/how-to-get-a-replacement-ac-power-cord-for-your-surface-pro/

Just buy a new cord, it's a simple figure 8 cord anyway? I wouldn't bother returning mine  :lol:

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

if its not "hoverboards" exploding, its Microsoft tablets

Why is everything trying to catch fire these days

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

nvidia shield tablets too

yes that too

China

true

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Cutting corners.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

...unfortunate, but I guess it could have been worse...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

...unfortunate, but I guess it could have been worse...

It could be the battery. Now that would be a disaster.

Spoiler

No, cutting conductors

ayyyy

Spoiler

You don't need to ship it. Microsoft says to "discard or recycle it in accordance with local requirements."

Oh, so will they be just sending you a new one? Then it's nice.

Spoiler

Because these companies are on fire releasing these great products.

And now you are from this BUUURRN!

(sorry I could not resists)

Reminds me of a comment I saw on cheap Chinese lithium battery knockoffs.

Never buy a lithium battery with the word "fire" in the name, as it will likely do as the name implies

*points to door*

you should give yourself a warning point for bad jokes :P

Reminds me of a comment I saw on cheap Chinese lithium battery knockoffs.

Anything cheap and Chinese is bad xD

Anything cheap and Chinese is bad xD

I am perfectly happy with the things I buy from ebay, just stay away from mains powered equipment or things with lithium batteries in them and you should be fine

Wait. Can you actually do that? Can a mod ban themselves or give themselves warning points? Can a mod warn another mod?

Also, sorry:

attachicon.gifDerailed_thread_by_StareOfGreed.jpg

No thats why he said "IF I COULD"

Wait. Can you actually do that? Can a mod ban themselves or give themselves warning points? Can a mod warn another mod?

Oh wait I can warn myself. :)

But no banning.

We have senior mod, and admins. They can warn/ban mods if they wanted. Well, Admin can do anything really.

ok Back to topic!

Anyone remember the recall on the original xbox's power lead? The power lead was actually fine, it was the socket on the PCB that was the issue. It broke free of its solder joint and could arc, so they replaced the leads with an arc fault interrupter. Interesting. For those interested...

Reminded me of this recall. Microsoft needs to stop failing at making powered things.