G.Skill DDR4 RAM with speeds of 4266 MHz unveiled! (1.1-1.2v)

M-ursu

G.Skill Unveiling DDR4 Memory

While we have limited details regarding DDR4 memory at the moment, we do know that DDR4 Memory will be featuring have much lower power consumption over the previous design with rated voltages of 1.2 – 1.1 Volt. At the same time while aiming for lower power consumption, DDR4 memory would push the frequencies past the barrier with speeds of 4266 MHz and possibly even more knowing that current DDR3 DIMMs do around 3000 MHz. The early samples of DDR4 memory would end up around 3200 – 3466 MHz and would gradually increase over the time as more products start supporting the new memory type which include Haswell-E plus Skylake from Intel and Carrizo APU from AMD.

G.Skill would unveil their plans for their next Trident DDR4 series and more at the event
post-2255-0-18099700-1377832215.jpg

G.SKILL
G.SKILL International Co. Ltd., the leading high-performance memory designer and manufacturer, announced to participate this year’s Intel Developer Forum at San Francisco as part of Intel’s memory community at booth no. 165, displaying maximum DDR3 memory frequency & capacity on the new Intel Core i7 processor family for socket LGA-2011 platform, also sharing plans for future technology such as DDR4. “As this is our first time attending IDF, we are very excited to show our high performance quad channel DDR3 memory and also announce our plans for DDR4,” said Mark Yu, Technical Marketing at G.SKILL. G.Skill
In addition to DDR4 memory, G.Skill would also be showcasing their fastest clocked memory and highest capacity memory kits for the Ivy bridge-E platform from Intel which is going to launch at IDF13 on 11th September.
post-2255-0-82004300-1377832275.jpg
Source:

And I am still debating to get Haswell, DDR4 sounds great though. My A8 3850 is an unbelievable bottleneck to my 7970.

Great news for APU users.

However, I can imagine it being expensive as all hell.

Anyone got any speculations to what the CAS latency will be?

System specs
  • Graphics card: Asus GTX 980 Ti (Temp target: 60c, fan speed: slow as hell)
  • CPU: Intel 6700k @ 4.2Ghz
  • CPU Heatsink: ThermalRight Silver Arrow Extreme
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus Viii Gene
  • Ram: 8GB of DDR4 @ 3000Mhz
  • Headphone source: O2 + Odac 
  • Mic input: Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
  • Case: Fractal Design Arc midi R2
  • Boot Drive: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB 
  • Storage: Seagate SSHD 2TB
  • PSU: Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 550w

Peripherals

• Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q
  • Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma (16.5 inch/360)
  • Mouse surface: Mionix Sargas 900
  • Tablet: Wacom Intuos Pen
  • Keyboard: Filco Majestouch Ninja, MX Brown, Ten Keyless 
  • Headphones: AKG K7xx
  • IEMs: BrainWavs S1

Oh fock my eyes o.0

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

CAS Latency will be the same as it always is, should be about double what you'd find with DDR3 2133.  The actual latency time for DRAM does not really change from one generation to the next, but since CAS Latency is measured in RAM cycles (how many cycles pass before the RAM responds to a CPU requests), if it is clocked twice as fast and completes twice as many cycles in a given amount of time, twice as many cycles will pass before the RAM responds to the CPU, so the CAS Latency "doubles".  Like I said though, the actual time it takes in nanoseconds remains the same.

To be honest I don't really care about DDR4... Never once have I been in a situation when I was using my computer and I said "Gee, I wish my RAM was faster, it's really slowing me down".  Not even with DDR2... Lower voltage is cool for phones I guess but I have a feeling most manufacturers won't exactly jump on it... a lot of phones are using DDR2 still, even flagship ones like the HTC One.

Like Glenwig said, it probably won't matter much, especially for gamers with discreet graphics cards. I do think it would greatly benefit APU users though.

To be honest I don't really care about DDR4... Never once have I been in a situation when I was using my computer and I said "Gee, I wish my RAM was faster, it's really slowing me down".  Not even with DDR2... Lower voltage is cool for phones I guess but I have a feeling most manufacturers won't exactly jump on it... a lot of phones are using DDR2 still, even flagship ones like the HTC One.

I agree, my bro and my 2 friends have older PC-s with DDR2 and the only thing holding them back really is the GPU and for my bro the CPU as well, but since they all have dual channel there is a huge difference vs my DDR3 configuration, and since today not a lot of applications need fast ram, but usually they need more capacity, if they made affordable 16gig dimms for DDR3 i would go berserk, using ramdisk for cache and potentially other stuff is amazing!!

System

CPU: i7 4770kMotherboard: Asus Maximus VI HeroRAM: HyperX KHX318C9SRK4/32 - 32GB DDR3-1866 CL9 / GPU: Gainward Geforce GTX 670 Phantom Case: Cooler Master HAF XBStorage: 1 TB WD BluePSU: Cooler Master V-650sDisplay(s): Dell U2312HM, LG194WT, LG E1941

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15Keyboard: Logitech G710+Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus SpectrumSound: Focusrite 2i4 - USB DAC / OS: Windows 7 (still holding on XD)

That being said, I'm interested in what kind of performance benefits the next GDDR variant based on DDR4 (12016MHz?) might give us.

When volta comes, GDDR speeds wont matter anymore :) 

One exciting thing about DDR4 appears to be that it comes in much higher capacities though - another thread on the forum talking about samsung's DDR4 memory mentions 32GB modules at launch, which is insane! (4GB chips)

HTTP/2 203