Console form factor build. Tight size restraints. HELP!

hnsnsnevil

1. Budget & Location
Roughly $1000 USD located in the USA. I am flexible on the budget, mainly looking to put together the best system I can (within reason) that will fit into the small space that I have available. 

2. Aim
Looking to play at 1080 on high settings for new AAA titles. The tricky part that is really causing me difficulty is that it has to fit into my existing tv stand/ tv cabinet. It will replace the ps3 in one of 3 cubby holes that are set below the tv. Each hole is only 17" wide x 16" deep x 5" tall. Per agreements with my roommate, it must fit into this space or I cannot build a computer. I tried putting together something myself that would meet these needs, but I wasn't able to do so successfully. \Any help is greatly appreciated. 

3. Monitors
Single monitor( (well actually a tv will be used to run it because its going to be in my living room.

4. Peripherals
I will need windows.

5. Why are you upgrading?
Building a first computer to replace an aging ps3.

I'm all for building your own aswell. But why not get one of those "steam machines" if size is really that important of a factor?

TX10 Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/456229-tx10-build-log/

Case: TX10-D   Proccessor: i7-5820k   MotherBoard: Asrockx99 Extreme4   Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (DDR4-2400)   GPU: Asus Strix OC 980ti   Storage: 850pro 500gb, 850pro 500gb, 850pro 256gb, WD black 16tb total, Silicon Power S60 120GB   PSU: Seasonic snow silent 1050   Monitors: Three of Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0"

I havent liked what I have seen about steam os, as well as game compatibility of the linux based os. Also I would like to use it from time to time to stream netflix and other online video so the ease of doing so from windows is a big plus to me 

Looks like Linus did the work for you already!

You can change out that case for something like a Lian Li PC-Q19

"Not breaking it or making it worse is key."

"Bad choices make good stories."

The case is too big it wont fit into the space. =( The case/ parts that will fit into such a small case and not be potato powered

1. Budget & Location

Roughly $1000 USD located in the USA. I am flexible on the budget, mainly looking to put together the best system I can (within reason) that will fit into the small space that I have available. 

2. Aim

Looking to play at 1080 on high settings for new AAA titles. The tricky part that is really causing me difficulty is that it has to fit into my existing tv stand/ tv cabinet. It will replace the ps3 in one of 3 cubby holes that are set below the tv. Each hole is only 17" wide x 16" deep x 5" tall. Per agreements with my roommate, it must fit into this space or I cannot build a computer. I tried putting together something myself that would meet these needs, but I wasn't able to do so successfully. \Any help is greatly appreciated. 

3. Monitors

Single monitor( (well actually a tv will be used to run it because its going to be in my living room.

4. Peripherals

I will need windows.

5. Why are you upgrading?

Building a first computer to replace an aging ps3.

If there's no way to make some fan space, go full water cooling, and get a fury x. Is there anywhere you can place some case fans/ fans will get some air flow?

If there's no way to make some fan space, go full water cooling, and get a fury x. Is there anywhere you can place some case fans/ fans will get some air flow?

Place the fans, as in outside of the case?

Place the fans, as in outside of the case?

No, you say it's going to be in a kind of cubby, is there anyway for fans to get air form inside of it?

No, you say it's going to be in a kind of cubby, is there anyway for fans to get air form inside of it?

Ah I see what you mean now. It is open at the front and the back but not on the sides. Here is the tv stand it will be going in: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80297021/

Its not very clear from the picture but it is open in the back, roughly a 5" opening at either end

Ah I see what you mean now. It is open at the front and the back but not on the sides. Here is the tv stand it will be going in: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80297021/

Its not very clear from the picture but it is open in the back, roughly a 5" opening at either end

So the backside of the drawers have a five inch tall opening?

So the backside of the drawers have a five inch tall opening?

No it wont be going into one of the drawers, it will go into one of the three opening above the drawers

No it wont be going into one of the drawers, it will go into one of the three opening above the drawers

Ah. Damn that might cause some problems... Would any modding to the stand be possible?

Would you friend complain if you had a caseless PC?

What do you mean by caseless? Could you maybe show me something similar?

Ah. Damn that might cause some problems... Would any modding to the stand be possible?

Im afraid not

Pretty much you attach the parts straight to the table.

I think that would be objected too/ we have a cat who would easily be able to reach the exposed parts

You don't need to necessarily attach the parts. You could leave them loose.

A caseless PC means that there is no case and the parts sit in the cubby.

I think that would be objected too/ we have a cat who would easily be able to reach the exposed parts

Could you take a piece of wood and cover up the front of the cubby and cut a hole for the I/O and power button?

Could you take a piece of wood and cover up the front of the cubby and cut a hole for the I/O and power button?

That'd just make air flow even worse. Maybe that but with a kind of mesh with a fan?

No i really cant do any modding to the stand like that.

Is it not possible to essentially build a steam machine as discussed earlier only from scratch and have it run windows?

Is it not possible to essentially build a steam machine as discussed earlier only from scratch and have it run windows?

It's possible. Difficult? You better believe it.