Exynos 8890 first SoC to hit 100,000 on Antutu

patrick3027

there must still be a department that decides what both of those divisions need to focus on. I'm not against advancement in any way, but I'm against the idea of 850$ phones when we could be having a just as good experience on a 300$ one, but it simply doesn't happen because samsung etc. are so absorbed in trying to be the fastest at all costs. This sort of soc would be amazing in compute modules on the raspberry pi model (but obviously more expensive, in proportion with the power boost), whereas a phone would benefit more from medium performance, but extremely power sipping chips.

On a side nore, we have reached a point where you could legitimately use an arm soc for desktop grade tasks and get intel off its ass, stuffing them in a phone seems pointless when all it does is push the price up and limit the performance potential. Imagine a version of this with 12 high performance cores and none of the heat concerns, comfortably housed in a small form factor desktop pc - it would probably give i3s a run for their money.

I do get that phones sell more though, it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to a practical minded guy like me is all.

Not quite. I believe they're technically separate companies under the same Samsung umbrella; Samsung Semiconductor, and Samsung Electronics.

Samsung is a huge corporation consisting of over 78 separate companies. It's possible they have no contact with each other at all, and in fact I believe there were articles pertaining to such a couple of years ago.

See, you're wrong there as well. We can't have $300 flagships. I mean, sure we can if we use what's already been developed, that's what OnePlus does. However, in order to get better parts and not stagnate the market, there has to be higher priced devices. How else do you think Samsung is going to profit and make advances? R&D is by no means cheap. In the past 2 years alone Samsung has invested $29,000,000,000 in R&D. You won't get that kind of cash making $25 profit off each device sold.

So, chips like the SD615? I mean sure they're all find and dandy, but they lag. I've experienced it. Not only that, but what about gaming? Yes, phones don't have to do this as a core feature, but it's there and people expect it to function well.

There's also other features that SoC advancement brings. The smaller nodes generate more power as a byproduct.

True, but I don't think we'll see that for a few years. I think that's Microsoft's push. Soon desktops will be much less common place and most people will do what they need on their phone or tablet.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Not quite. I believe they're technically separate companies under the same Samsung umbrella; Samsung Semiconductor, and Samsung Electronics.

Samsung is a huge corporation consisting of over 78 separate companies. It's possible they have no contact with each other at all, and in fact I believe there were articles pertaining to such a couple of years ago.

See, you're wrong there as well. We can't have $300 flagships. I mean, sure we can if we use what's already been developed, that's what OnePlus does. However, in order to get better parts and not stagnate the market, there has to be higher priced devices. How else do you think Samsung is going to profit and make advances? R&D is by no means cheap. In the past 2 years alone Samsung has invested $29,000,000,000 in R&D. You won't get that kind of cash making $25 profit off each device sold.

So, chips like the SD615? I mean sure they're all find and dandy, but they lag. I've experienced it. Not only that, but what about gaming? Yes, phones don't have to do this as a core feature, but it's there and people expect it to function well.

There's also other features that SoC advancement brings. The smaller nodes generate more power as a byproduct.

True, but I don't think we'll see that for a few years. I think that's Microsoft's push. Soon desktops will be much less common place and most people will do what they need on their phone or tablet.

Actually samsung's revenue on flagship phones is pretty low. certainly nowhere near apple's, and just enough to turn a profit. I'm pretty sure they could do just as well by selling 300$ phones that they paid 180$ to manufacture. r&d can be paid for by selling the soc to other companies and by not investing in nonsense like 1440p screens, fingerprint scanners and edged phones. Qualcomm does it no problem, why can't samsung?

I don't mean like the sd615. Oneplus has an 801 on a 250$ device, and it does not lag. Gaming? Who wants to play high fidelity 3d games on a 5" touch screen? There are portable consoles for that, and their low sales (for the psvita, the 3ds is different) clearly indicate that not a lot of people care about that experience. The most demanding game most will play is something like temple run, and that's hardly crysis 3. There's very little in the play store that an 801 won't run in a satisfactory way, and what it can't run is mainly nvidia k1 optimized stuff that won't run particularly well on anything else anyway.

As for tablets taking over desktops, it's been said over and over and I don't think it's any closer to being true. Even a surface is nowhere near as good a user experience as a desktop, not to mention you're paying much more for the performance you get. The surface is a premium complementary device for power users on the go. Average joe is much better off with a desktop or a normal laptop, both of which could become significantly cheaper for the same power of arm chips like this became more adopted on them. Not with android of course, you'd want some standard linux distro on something like that, but it can definitely be done.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Actually samsung's revenue on flagship phones is pretty low. certainly nowhere near apple's, and just enough to turn a profit. I'm pretty sure they could do just as well by selling 300$ phones that they paid 180$ to manufacture. r&d can be paid for by selling the soc to other companies and by not investing in nonsense like 1440p screens, fingerprint scanners and edged phones. Qualcomm does it no problem, why can't samsung?

I don't mean like the sd615. Oneplus has an 801 on a 250$ device, and it does not lag. Gaming? Who wants to play high fidelity 3d games on a 5" touch screen? There are portable consoles for that, and their low sales (for the psvita, the 3ds is different) clearly indicate that not a lot of people care about that experience. The most demanding game most will play is something like temple run, and that's hardly crysis 3. There's very little in the play store that an 801 won't run in a satisfactory way, and what it can't run is mainly nvidia k1 optimized stuff that won't run particularly well on anything else anyway.

As for tablets taking over desktops, it's been said over and over and I don't think it's any closer to being true. Even a surface is nowhere near as good a user experience as a desktop, not to mention you're paying much more for the performance you get. The surface is a premium complementary device for power users on the go. Average joe is much better off with a desktop or a normal laptop, both of which could become significantly cheaper for the same power of arm chips like this became more adopted on them. Not with android of course, you'd want some standard linux distro on something like that, but it can definitely be done.

Qualcomm doesn't just make SoC's. They, too, manufacture displays. They've also been in the business a lot longer than Samsung and thus have a much larger pool of devices their chips are in, thus have a much higher revenue.

Millions upon millions of people would. I would. Why carry around two devices when I can have one that will do both? Their sales are likely low due to phones, just like compact digital cameras sales are low due to phones.

True, the 801 will run it, but will consume a ton of battery life doing it. Advances in SoC's have had huge improvements in GPU performance, which results in much less battery drain.

You basically just backtracked on your own argument.

It will replace them for most users. Most people don't need a PC at home. I have several family members who have given up their PC in favor of a tablet with a keyboard.

People on this forum obviously don't fit that demographic, I don't fit that demographic, but it's foolish not to acknowledge its existence.

I'm with you on the laptop front. I honestly don't know why people buy a tablet with a keyboard when you can get an ultrabook that's only a couple mm thicker .

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Qualcomm doesn't just make SoC's. They, too, manufacture displays. They've also been in the business a lot longer than Samsung and thus have a much larger pool of devices their chips are in, thus have a much higher revenue.

Millions upon millions of people would. I would. Why carry around two devices when I can have one that will do both? Their sales are likely low due to phones, just like compact digital cameras sales are low due to phones.

True, the 801 will run it, but will consume a ton of battery life doing it. Advances in SoC's have had huge improvements in GPU performance, which results in much less battery drain.

You basically just backtracked on your own argument.

It will replace them for most users. Most people don't need a PC at home. I have several family members who have given up their PC in favor of a tablet with a keyboard.

People on this forum obviously don't fit that demographic, I don't fit that demographic, but it's foolish not to acknowledge its existence.

I'm with you on the laptop front. I honestly don't know why people buy a tablet with a keyboard when you can get an ultrabook that's only a couple mm thicker .

I brought in the 801 to show that we don't need more performance. Not to show that we don't need architectural improvements, because I don't believe that. Portable consoles don't sell much because most people don't care about that sort of game, therefore are content with what their phone offers - casual 2d titles like candy crush for the most part. All people I know who have bought a tablet when in need of a new computer have, without exception, bought a desktop or laptop within a year or two. Tablets are not a substitute to a desktop/laptop and will most likely never be, because nobody wants to use a 12" screen and a mushy undersized keyboard at home or at work if they can possibly avoid it - not to mention anything running android or ios is fundamentally crippled when trying to get anything serious done. You can do a lot of things on a tablet, but not everything, and you can get a sufficient prebuilt for 400 bucks and sometimes less (or have a friend build you something that is both better and cheaper if you have that option). Laptops ont he other hand can replace a desktop for most people, but tend to be expensive in comparison so if you don't need the mobility, why bother?

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Sort of impressive I guess? I'll wait for some real world numbers and devices until I get too excited about it. I mean sure, it'll use a little less power and that's always nice, but I'd really like to see them implement some advances in screens on their phones, like the tech that eliminates one of the layers the light has to pass through, saving 50% of the screen usage.

That's where we'll see some real battery life savings.

I get what you mean here, but I think you're misunderstanding something. It's not like every phone manufacturer produces the batteries they use. AFAIK most order from a catalog of hundreds of different types of cells. Also, I believe Samsung is currently working on improved battery design. It just hasn't made it to a device yet.

The SoC department does not work on batteries. They have different R&D departments for each. Processors are probably just easier to advance.

I wouldn't regret it. You're still a whole year away from the next Nexus release. You may as well just rock it until it comes out.

There will always be something great just around the corner.

Except thats so NOT TRUE LOL you people always say oh theres something great around the corner like no man no its not. Only ONCE IN A WHILE we get a major jump in nodes... thats not like other times. Like i had my oneplus one before this with the 801 chip and I DIDNT GIVE A CRAP ABOUT THE 810 COMING OUT I REALLY DIDNT 810 SUCKS ASS. I only bought the 6p cuz my opo screen broke and i didnt wanna pay for repairs else i wouldve waited for this processor jump and got on that 100k chip on antutu. Going from like 50k-60k on 801-810 is WHATEVER. Going from 60k-100k 810 to 820 THATS HUGE but whatever im not even concerned because honestly the 6p has been the greatest phone ive ever had. So yolo. 

• FX-8320  GTX 970  M5A97 R2  Corsair H100I GT  500W PSU  RIPJAWS 8GB DDR3  SAMSUNG 840 EVO 120GB  1TB HDD 

On a side nore, we have reached a point where you could legitimately use an arm soc for desktop grade tasks and get intel off its ass, stuffing them in a phone seems pointless when all it does is push the price up and limit the performance potential. Imagine a version of this with 12 high performance cores and none of the heat concerns, comfortably housed in a small form factor desktop pc - it would probably give i3s a run for their money.

The software is the problem though.

Let's see if Windows 10 will be able to change anything about that.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

The software is the problem though.

Let's see if Windows 10 will be able to change anything about that.

linux has enough arm compatible software to allow for a pretty complete desktop experience. if they sold exynos based laptops with ubuntu on them they would be pretty damn functional. of course ubuntu is not as familiar as windows to the average joe, but more than one non-techie friend has thanked me after I installed it on their (previously) sluggish hardware.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

linux has enough arm compatible software to allow for a pretty complete desktop experience. if they sold exynos based laptops with ubuntu on them they would be pretty damn functional. of course ubuntu is not as familiar as windows to the average joe, but more than one non-techie friend has thanked me after I installed it on their (previously) sluggish hardware.

Yeah , that's the problem.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case.