Will the current consoles(PS4&Xbone) really live 8 years?

The last generation of consoles were WAY closer to higher end gaming PCs than the current generation. This is part of what allowed them to live so long.

However, it is very clear at this point that games have begun to hit the wall of diminishing returns in terms of graphical fidelity. You can't get better than photorealistic, and a lot of games are already almost there. After that it will be purely improvements in framerate and resolution, two things that also stop mattering after a certain point. Depending on how fast technology evolves, and how quickly it can be made affordable, it's possible that we will get something that resembles a "last" console generation in 10-20 years. By then though, I envision console gaming being sold as a streaming service instead of being sold how they are now.

RIP future where everything in the world is sold as a service and the consumer owns nothing and is completely at the will of the service provider.

More like 6 years, the PS4 and Xbox One were pretty much outdated on their first year.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

• 2 weeks later...

The PS4 & Xbox One will probably be the leading consoles for a few years (4-5?) before there is a transition period to the next gen. With potential advances in tech (VR, 4K, etc) perhaps there'll be a '1.5 gen' release with improved hardware for PS4/Xbox One as well. IMHO of course ;)

PS4 and Xbone can't even handle some games at 1080p.... it's pretty much already out of date. PC users want 4K GPU's or 1440p and console users are not even having a good 1080p experience.

Ps2 and 3 were great.  Consoles had their time, now let's get back to PC gaming folks.

The step up from the previous generation to now is negligible for the most part, and the gaming capabilities on the newest generation don't trump the old, so it's basically just a minor graphic update.

Unless I missed it how come NO ONE mentioned gaming over Internet. Xbox could last along longer if your box isn't doing all the rendering. Limitation will just be your service.

The step up from the previous generation to now is negligible for the most part, and the gaming capabilities on the newest generation don't trump the old, so it's basically just a minor graphic update.

The Jump from PS4 to PC is smaller than the jump from PS3 to PS4, so i don't see your argument

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

GTX or GT? Or Ultra?

395801evga.jpg

Specifically it was a 9800GT 512 though

it could play AC4 at 1080p med or 720 at mostly high

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

395801evga.jpg

Specifically it was a 9800GT 512 though

it could play AC4 at 1080p med or 720 at mostly high

Wow, that Old Card ? And It's weaker than Gtx 260 right?

AMD Ryzen R9 5900X  | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360  |  GIGABYTE X570S AERO G  |  2x32GB G'skill TridentZ 4000MHz  | MSI RX 6900 XT Gaming Z Trio 16GB Dark Base Pro 900 (Orange)  | TOSHIBA 4TB 3.5" Drive - Game Drive | Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" SSD - Boot Drive | Cooler Master V750 PSU |

Living Room PC: AMD Ryzen 2400G | MSI RX VEGA 56 8GB AERO | 2x8 GB Crucial Ballistix 2400MHz | Intenso 250GB SSD | Seagate 500 GB HDD | Node 202 + 850W PSU |

PS4 most likely will see at least 8 years though I think 4k TVs might end up being a bit of a fad in TVs under 60".

I'd rather a 1080p OLED/AMOLED TV vs a 4k LCD or LED TV.

And if 4K TVs do gain more traction then maybe a little spec bump is needed (which is something Microsoft could do as well).

4k computer monitors make more sense (and 1080p to 1440p for phones and tablets is enough.)

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization