ID-Cooling Hunter VC-Twin CPU Cooler: Old fins, new fans, great price

brownninja97

Disclaimer: Dont quote the whole op. NEVER DO IT

84a.jpg

ID cooling have been a bit of a dark horse in the past, they have created decent or great products however there is the issue regarding many people just not knowing about them. If the past has told me anything though its that it can only take one good product to make a mark in this saturated market.

ID-Cooling announced the Hunter VC-Twin CPU cooler. Based on a classic "D-type" dual fin-stack design, the VC-Twin features a pair of thermal-grade anti-oxidation coated aluminium fin stacks, to which heat from the base is conveyed by five 8 mm-thick copper heat pipes. The CPU base features a vapor-chamber plate making contact with the CPU, and dissipating heat to the heat pipes. 

Now lets break this down into parts which are more understandable for the audience that doesn't understand this too well.84c.jpg

Firstly the D stack, this is a common array that was extremely popular 2-3 years ago, generally replaced embossed or exploded stacks which means the fins aren't straight as you see here. This does mean it will not cool as effectively because air will not have as much turbulence meaning less heat gets drawn away. The positive for this is that this is way cheaper to produce as a result cheaper end price.

Next is the 5 8mm copper pipes, there are commonly two types 6mm and 8mm, this uses the larger variant and has five of them, at this price point this means a lot more fluid is travelling. Be weary that they haven't mentioned what fluids they are using, this commonly means they haven't spent much money on that fluid which may negate the effect of the larger.

Paired with the above hardware is a vapour chamber this allows clouds to build up in your system and every few weeks you can scream horror as everything gets water damage. In reality this is a substitute for direct contact between the pipes and cpu. 

84b.jpg

The cooler includes two fans, a 120 mm intake, and a larger 140 mm conveyor between the two fin-stacks. Both fans support 4-pin PWM control. The 120 mm fan spins between 800-1,800 RPM, pushing up to 60.7 CFM of air, with a noise output ranging between 16.2-29.2 dBA. The 140 mm fan, on the other hand, spins between 800-1,600 RPM, pushing up to 76.8 CFM, with a noise output ranging between 16.8-32.6 dBA. Measuring 123 mm x 153 mm x 160 mm (L×W×H), the cooler weighs about 1,418 g.

Next up are fans and this has two types which are optimized for their roles. 

First up is 140mm fan in the middle of the fin arrays which pushes up to 76.8 cfm, this is decent for its size but it spins from 800-1600rpm controlled via pwm(the 4 pin headers) which ranges from silent to plane is bloody taking off.

The other 120mm fan spins between 800-1800rpm with a sound range of 16.2dBA to 29.2DBa which is low for 800rpm and high for 1800rpm oddly enough. 

Both fan however use rubber completely wrong. Basically they use steel tongs instead of grommets, the tongs vibrate a lot and thats likely why the sound is high at 1800rpm and 1600rpm for each of the fans.

Both fans use ​hydraulic bearings which im not really a fan of, i tend to get a whine with them a bit like coil whine, results may vary of course.  

Remember to take fans with a grain of salt, the airflow is measured without restrictions or fins or other fans and most of all cat hair, if you have a cat expect worse temps FACT

84d.jpg

Now cooler clearance is really good with a height of 153mm there is very little that it will not fit in amusing that you have a matx or atx case, i dont recommend throwing this WMD in a itx case unless you have a lot of time and a dremel.

The recommended thermal load is 200W which is surprisingly low for a dual tower. There are too reasons, the company is wetting themselves and going for the conservative route of attack or this really doesnt cool as well as it should on paper.

PRICES!!!!!

The beauty of being on this forum for so long is that i know a lot of people in industry hence i get the prices before every other news site. 

As a result i have the prices for this in Euros and Pounds(or sterling for you yappies) 

UK: £37.99

EURO: €41.99

US: (will update when information becomes available(generally its the same as euro))

This is interesting it puts in a very competitive area, raijintek, coolermaster and zalman have very strong competitors in this sector. Benchmarks will be very interesting for this tower. 

Sources

http://www.techpowerup.com/216892/id-cooling-announces-the-hunter-vc-twin-cpu-cooler.html 

http://www.idcooling.com/Product/detail/id/59/name/HUNTER%20VC-TWIN

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Looks nice, would be great for a low power build.

CPU: AMD FX-6350@4.2Ghz GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX2.0 RAM: 2x4Gb Kingston Fury Black + 2x4Gb Corsair Vengeance HDD: WD Green 1Tb SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300 60Gb CASE: DeepCool Tesseract SW

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fJLRWZ

I think that the paint might contribute to the "doesn't cool as well as it should on paper" as I doubt its more thermal conductive than the metal, looks nice though that's my one problem with noctua, how ugly they are

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

You had me really confused while I was skimming through the post. GG OP.

Looks nice, would be great for a low power build.

id recommend people wait for benchmarks, the ereboss is the current king of the hill in everywhere but america for bang for buck in this price point

I think that the paint might contribute to the "doesn't cool as well as it should on paper" as I doubt its more thermal conductive than the metal, looks nice though that's my one problem with noctua, how ugly they are

after the whole xigmatek craziness that occured a few years back the whole, black absorbs energy thing was proven to not help at all. It just turns into another layer of material for heat to pass through. The biggest benefit is a potential increase in surface area but a very small increase.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

You had me really confused while I was skimming through the post. GG OP.

sorry  thats just my way of writing posts, the news have changed vastly since i made news(seriously i made a lot) so it might be a bit janky. I blame this ridiculous 800x600 monitor. 

Listen if you care.

1: awesome post

2: awesome cooler

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

big and black just how i like it 

Have you ever been to a prison or something? ;)

Edit: Your avatar was pretty much my reaction to your post xD

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

God dammit those are AWFUL fans. I mean I know really good fans would be basically the cost of that entire cpu cooler, but those are total trash.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS