Watercooling 2 980s / CPU / RAM / and Northbridge! 2 Separate loops.

Lej

Is there any good way to pair the loops?

I thought I saw a Linus video stating that it was better to do the GPU and CPU on one, and the ram/northbridge on the other. Reasons for this? Thanks! Also here is a quick build list:

• Koolance Pmp-450s 24v (x2)
  • Koolance 60x200mm 393ml (x2)
  • 480mm Hardware Labs Black Ice (x1)
  • 420mm Hardware Labs Black Ice (x1)
  • Koolance Compression Rings 10/13 (3/8 OD 1/2) (?)
  • PrimoChill Tube 10/13 Blue And Clear (?)
  • Water Blocks For Memory Ek--Ram-Monarch (x1)
  • EK-FC980 -GTX TI (x2)
  • ASUS Crosshair V Formula -Z (x1)
  • Full Board EK-FB-Asus-C5F-2 (x1)
  • CPU EK-Supremacy Evo-Blue (x1)
  • Corsair 900D (x1)
  • Corsair Dominator 2x16GB (32GB) (x1)
  • Evga Ge-Force 980 TI (x2)
  • Corsair AX1500i (x1)
  • Mod/Smart Maxcord Cable Set Blue/White (x1)
  • Samsung Evo 850 500GB (x2)
  • AMD FX-9590 Vishera 8-Core 4.7GHz

Do these parts line up nice? I've build about 20 PCs now, but watercooling was absent in most.. Unless you count the little closed loop Corsair kits.

Honestly not familiar with any of these water cooling brands. I've tried to research a little, but unsure at this point.

Also needing fans for the radiators.. Noctua? Also worried about fittings not "fitting" well with tubing since two different manufactures / tolerances.

Why would you ever go with FX-9590? i5 performs better in games. If you have that kind of mad cash you cloud just as well go with something like 5820k

FX-6300 cooled by Nepton 240M | EVGA GTX 970 SuperClocked | 8GB G.Skill ValueRAM | Cooler Master 690 III | Sharkoon WMP 500 Bronze

Power supplies:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/406160-psu-ranking-and-tiers/ My F@h stats: http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=zyntaxable Intel vs. FX for gaming: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/401217-more-updated-fx-vs-intel-for-gaming/

It's because everything besides the cooling components and 900D are already owned. Also this is for a friend. I'm just building it. He's picking out everything and I'm just making sure he's got everything.

-SNIP-

Welcome to the Forums!

To first answer your questions having a separate CPU and GPU loop doesn't really make a difference as long as there is adequate rad space, the fluid in the loops at a fairly rapid pace so the order of which things go also are not a problem, only part is to have the res just before(above) the pumps. The tubing and fittings you have are the correct size for the soft tubing, in terms of radiator fans Noctua NF-F12 are probably some of the best out there.

As said before it would be wise to upgrade to a different CPU since that current one will bottleneck the two 980TI in SLI.

Thanks for the great reply! Any ideas on what board and CPU combo would go well with type setup? I've tried pitching the idea of the 4790k.. Unsure of a board that has a good watercooling block.

And yep! I'm not extremely worried about the fittings and the tubes, but I thought I'd bring it up because I know that sizes between brands have been an issue in the past with other things besides cooling.

Thanks for the great reply! Any ideas on what board and CPU combo would go well with type setup? I've tried pitching the idea of the 4790k.. Unsure of a board that has a good watercooling block.

And yep! I'm not extremely worried about the fittings and the tubes, but I thought I'd bring it up because I know that sizes between brands have been an issue in the past with other things besides cooling.

A 4790K would be a good option if you really want to do SLI, a 5820K as suggest is also a good option if your planning to do 4K or very heavy multi-threaded applications. 

For a Z97 platform this from Asus has a built in block for watercooling if you really want to go all out and add it into the loop:

https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VII_FORMULAWATCH_DOGS/

I'm personally liking the looks of that board. To bad he's going for a white/blue/black color scheme. I don't know if he'd go for it. How bad of a bottleneck do you think the CPU is going to be? (Keeping in mind that it will probably be pushed to it's limit) .. I have no idea how to really gauge the severity bottleneck based on what I know.

Seems fine to me, apart from the AMD part. That's up to you if you want to switch to Intel.

Double and triple check your fittings (when you put it all together). Use Zip ties or hose clamps if you're not confident in your work.

Be careful, take your time, check everything and you'll be fine.

It's not a race to the bottom.

I'm personally liking the looks of that board. To bad he's going for a white/blue/black color scheme. I don't know if he'd go for it. How bad of a bottleneck do you think the CPU is going to be? (Keeping in mind that it will probably be pushed to it's limit) .. I have no idea how to really gauge the severity bottleneck based on what I know.

It's mainly the lower single core performance and IPC that will make it suffer more than say a 4790K, in a SLI setup that would make it be the thing that holds it back by how much I'm not sure if I can't really quantify.

It's mainly the lower single core performance and IPC that will make it suffer more than say a 4790K, in a SLI setup that would make it be the thing that holds it back by how much I'm not sure if I can't really quantify.

Plus no PCI-e 3.0 for AMD at the moment. Doesn't make much difference in single GPU set ups, but may have an effect on SLI when running x8.

It's not a race to the bottom.

Plus no PCI-e 3.0 for AMD at the moment. Doesn't make much difference in single GPU set ups, but may have an effect on SLI when running x8.

Ahh! Very true. I love the information! I'm definitively going to relay this to him because it's starting to sound a bit silly now to have SLI'ed 980s yet such big drawbacks.

Guess I'm going to bump this with some new information!

So the fans have been ordered now: ek-vardar-f3-120's and the F1 140's.

Also now going with PrimoChill Rigid Ghost/Revolver Compression Fittings with PETG Tubing....

It has been a WHILE since I bent some tubes.... Is there any new helpful tools or advice as far as PETG bending goes? I have a good heat gun.