Microsoft Surface Book

Rienks

I just saw the trailer for it and I know I'm a bit late but it looks amazing. It seems perfect for students or on the move business people who want a tablet that doubles up as a cool laptop, What are everyone's thoughts?

Do you play football/soccer?

Cause you look like a left-back

Yes. It's perfect for students which drive Lambos and F1 cars fly on helicopters to uni.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Yes. It's perfect for students which drive Lambos and F1 cars to uni.

Do they teleport between cars?

Do they teleport between cars?

no, they have butlers.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Yes. It's perfect for students which drive Lambos and F1 cars to uni.

It's around the same price point as MacBooks right? I think the Pro models to be more precise? I haven't really looked into them at all. 

Also F1 cars cost hundreds of millions of dollars to design and operate on the lowest end. And they're not street legal. They don't have turn signals and most likely don't meet the necessary ground clearance for speed bumps/humps.

Spoiler
Spoiler

Case Corsair Air 540 CPU AMD Ryzen 5 1600 GPU EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC2 iCX Motherboard Asus X370-F Memory G.Skill Flare X 16GB (2x8) 2400MHz Display Asus VG248QE Storage Samsung 960 Pro 512GB - Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD - 1TB Seagate Barracuda - 1TB WD Blue OS MS X Pro Peripherals Corsair K70 RGB Rapidfire -  Razer DeathAdder 2013

Spoiler

Case 15.4" Mid 2012 MacBook Pro CPU Intel Core i7-3720QM GPU Nvidia GT650M Memory Crucial 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600MHz Display 1680x1050 AntiGlare Display Storage 1TB 5400RPM or Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD OS OS X Yosemite (Maybe El Capitan?) - BootCamp MS X Pro Peripherals Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 -  Razer DeathAdder 2013 - Mionix Naos 7000 - Logitech K120 - Razer Tartarus Keypad

I just saw the trailer for it and I know I'm a bit late but it looks amazing. It seems perfect for students or on the move business people who want a tablet that doubles up as a cool laptop, What are everyone's thoughts?

I think it looks awesome. Being a techie, i can appreciate what looks like a fair bit of engineering ingenuity.

I'm waiting to see what the processor is. Also the price is rather massive. Justified, yes, but that doesn't make it any easier to bear...

I had a good lol when Microsoft said that the surface pro 4 is going to replace laptops. *What, like your laptop, Microsoft?*

CPU: Intel I5-4690k (stock) Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro gamer RAM: 2x4 - GB Avexir kit (xmp is not enabled) GPU: XFX R9 280X DD Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD 250GB PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750w Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM Cooling: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 200mm rear exhaust Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Sound: Kingston HyperX Clouds and Logitech Speakers Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Also F1 cars cost hundreds of millions of dollars to design and operate on the lowest end. And they're not street legal. They don't have turn signals and most likely don't meet the necessary ground clearance for speed bumps/humps.

Like that would stop them. Money buys everything mate  :mellow:

Spoiler

It's around the same price point as MacBooks right? I think the Pro models to be more precise? I haven't really looked into them at all. 

Exactly! If you're a student buying a surface book, then you can afford lots of F1 cars!

CPU: Intel I5-4690k (stock) Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro gamer RAM: 2x4 - GB Avexir kit (xmp is not enabled) GPU: XFX R9 280X DD Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD 250GB PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750w Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM Cooling: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 200mm rear exhaust Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Sound: Kingston HyperX Clouds and Logitech Speakers Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

You know, I don't know what to think until I use it. So, people are complaining about the lack of USB ports on the tablet, which I personally don't see as a con(I have a Latitude 10, rarely do I use the USB while holding it as a tablet. In fact, most USB's are fragile). The problem that I see with the device is the vents(and sadly this is an issue with all tablets with fans), but holding on to something that has 50c+ air coming out of it sucks, and sadly I think the exhaust is a place where most people would put their hands.

I also hate that Microsoft is saying it has a "Nvidia GPU" and not stating which one(not even on the specs list), just stop with that Microsoft(I would dread a day where the specs of a computer are "Is has a CPU, GPU, and RAM").

I'd get a Surface Pro 4 personally, Nothing can replace a Laptop for me(Latitude for life), but Tablets I'm welcomed to, which the Surfaces(Pro) do well,

Like that would stop them. Money buys everything mate  :mellow:

The cost of homologating an F1 car to road standards would defeat the purpose of owning an F1 car. It's why the Pagani Zonda R is such a sad triumph.

On a side note money doesn't buy morales or ethics.

Spoiler
Spoiler

Case Corsair Air 540 CPU AMD Ryzen 5 1600 GPU EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC2 iCX Motherboard Asus X370-F Memory G.Skill Flare X 16GB (2x8) 2400MHz Display Asus VG248QE Storage Samsung 960 Pro 512GB - Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD - 1TB Seagate Barracuda - 1TB WD Blue OS MS X Pro Peripherals Corsair K70 RGB Rapidfire -  Razer DeathAdder 2013

Spoiler

Case 15.4" Mid 2012 MacBook Pro CPU Intel Core i7-3720QM GPU Nvidia GT650M Memory Crucial 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600MHz Display 1680x1050 AntiGlare Display Storage 1TB 5400RPM or Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD OS OS X Yosemite (Maybe El Capitan?) - BootCamp MS X Pro Peripherals Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 -  Razer DeathAdder 2013 - Mionix Naos 7000 - Logitech K120 - Razer Tartarus Keypad

Exactly! If you're a student buying a surface book, then you can afford lots of F1 cars!

Then what about the medium to high-end custom PC community. Those computers cost just as much as a Surface Book

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

Then what about the medium to high-end custom PC community. Those computers cost just as much as a Surface Book

I know mate, just joking with you.

If i wanted to buy a laptop right now (well, when it releases), that would last, then it would probably be the surface book.

Bear in mind, i'm currently using a macbook mid 2010 (with an SSD) running windows 10, for when i'm away from my pc.

I know mate, just joking with you.

If i wanted to buy a laptop right now (well, when it releases), that would last, then it would probably be the surface book.

Bear in mind, i'm currently using a macbook mid 2010 (with an SSD) running windows 10, for when i'm away from my pc.

This is the internet, I err on the side of caution. But I don't think I would buy a Surface Book. For general use laptops I still feel like Apple has the market cornered.

I have a Mid-2012 with a 730 and OS X/ Windows 10 Pro. No PC yet :(

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

Overall I think it looks like a really nice piece of hardware my only gripes with it are the gap at the hinge when its closed, I would prefer a reversible hinge like in the Lenovo Yogas but being able to put the screen in upside down is acceptable and of course the price. If they could remedy any 2 of those 3 gripes I could probably justify buying one though.

For now I look forward to seeing what the new Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga brings, it'll probably cover all of my gripes and have the added bonus of the TrackPoint (I don't care about the 2-in-1 tablet mode as long as the screen can fold back on itself a.k.a convertable).

I like the idea, but the price will always differ from buying one. $1899 for a laptop with 950m in it is a lot. 

EVGA SR-2 / 2x Intel Xeon X5675 4.4Ghz OC / 24GB EEC 1800Mhz OC/ AMD RX570 / Enermax Evoliution 1050W / Main RAID 0: 2x256GB 840EVO SSD / BackUp(1) Raid 5: 3x2TB WD HDD / BackUp(2) 8x2TB / Dell U2412M / Dell U2312HM

This is the internet, I err on the side of caution. But I don't think I would buy a Surface Book. For general use laptops I still feel like Apple has the market cornered.

Haha fair enough, i would to. So i'm a Windows & Linux guy, who somehow got a macbook five years ago, and i've gotta say i love macbooks. They're ridiculously expensive, and they run OSX, but if i wanted a laptop that would last, i'd get one and slap windows on it, because honestly, they're really good.

But the surface book is a solid contendor.

On the other hand, i hate Apple for what they did with the BIOS & EUFI on my macbook. I'm not going to go into it, but basically i have pages upon pages of bookmarks for when i had to do research for installing windows on it (and i don't mean the pansy boot camp way)

I have a Mid-2012 with a 730 and OS X/ Windows 10 Pro. No PC yet :(

You will join sign up for a full membership with us one day :)

Haha fair enough, i would to. So i'm a Windows & Linux guy, who somehow got a macbook five years ago, and i've gotta say i love macbooks. They're ridiculously expensive, and they run OSX, but if i wanted a laptop that would last, i'd get one and slap windows on it, because honestly, they're really good.

But the surface book is a solid contendor.

On the other hand, i hate Apple for what they did with the BIOS & EUFI on my macbook. I'm not going to go into it, but basically i have pages upon pages of bookmarks for when i had to do research for installing windows on it (and i don't mean the pansy boot camp way)

You will join sign up for a full membership with us one day :)

I can't justify any of Apple's hardware choices or things like that. But the only reason I continue to support Apple is because I feel the OS X is a superior OS when compared to Windows when you look at from an end-user perspective. I just like how much fluid and easy the experience is for me. But I need my games so I have to have Windows. Also OS X is free so suck it Microsoft

Edit: Is there an annual fee for this membership? :P

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

I can't justify any of Apple's hardware choices or things like that. But the only reason I continue to support Apple is because I feel the OS X is a superior OS when compared to Windows when you look at from an end-user perspective. I just like how much fluid and easy the experience is for me. But I need my games so I have to have Windows. Also OS X is free so suck it Microsoft

Edit: Is there an annual fee for this membership? :P

Oh yeah i forgot to mention that, Apple also has crap hardware in there, but i don't use a laptop for gaming or video editing, so it doesn't matter that much to me.

OSX is definitely easier, but it achieves that by stripping away all the customisation. It's like the whole IOS and Android debate. Use the one which works for you. Windows & linux work better for me. Also, Windows is free as well! 

[okay, not really]

As for membership... Well the fee is that you won't be able to stop upgrading :D

I like the idea, but the price will always differ from buying one. $1899 for a laptop with 950m in it is a lot. 

Are you basing that on a guess as i have not seen any actual statement of what the GPU is based off of. Rumors go from 940m-960m due to size constraints  and the render shape of the GPU but i feel like if there ignoring the answer to this question right not its not as good as everyone on this forums are hoping it to be 

Are you basing that on a guess as i have not seen any actual statement of what the GPU is based off of. Rumors go from 940m-960m due to size constraints  and the render shape of the GPU but i feel like if there ignoring the answer to this question right not its not as good as everyone on this forums are hoping it to be 

I'm betting on a 955m, since it's an unreleased gpu (i read this.. somewhere)

Either way, still very low power. To me, it doesn't matter. This isn't a gaming laptop.

965m is best they will  put in it. I think 1899 will go with 940 / 2099 with 950 / 2699 with 965m. It's just speculations but when there is no info on it don't expect anything good.

EVGA SR-2 / 2x Intel Xeon X5675 4.4Ghz OC / 24GB EEC 1800Mhz OC/ AMD RX570 / Enermax Evoliution 1050W / Main RAID 0: 2x256GB 840EVO SSD / BackUp(1) Raid 5: 3x2TB WD HDD / BackUp(2) 8x2TB / Dell U2412M / Dell U2312HM

I am probably one of the first to say this but I am not a huge fan of it, it's really expensive and yeah I know it's nice and it's got a discrete gpu, but the gpu that is in it I guarantee that it will barely be able to run games at 1080p no higher cause it's probably a 950m, I think at the price point it is at for me I would rather spend a bit more money and rather get a razerblade 14

My Cheap But Good Rig: I7-3770s, Intel Motherboard (actually made by intel), 16gb DDR3, Nvidia Gtx 1070, 250gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 750gb HDD, Evga 500 BR power supply

I am probably one of the first to say this but I am not a huge fan of it, it's really expensive and yeah I know it's nice and it's got a discrete gpu, but the gpu that is in it I guarantee that it will barely be able to run games at 1080p no higher cause it's probably a 950m, I think at the price point it is at for me I would rather spend a bit more money and rather get a razerblade 14

I'm seeing this kinda thing a fair bit now.

IMO, the surface book is not a gaming laptop. It's got the nvidia gpu for on the go video editing. That's based on their marketing, and my gut feeling.

I'm seeing this kinda thing a fair bit now.

IMO, the surface book is not a gaming laptop. It's got the nvidia gpu for on the go video editing. That's based on their marketing, and my gut feeling.

That and basic word processing, powerpoint etc. but definitely not gaming