PC Gaming in the living room?

-ism

Hello friends,

So I'm in my college dorm and my PC is of course in my room. But we have a TV out in the living room, so I was thinking of gaming out there. I was considering getting a really long HDMI cable and running it from the TV all the way to my PC in my room. I know very little about A/V signals and whatnot, but my question is, is there any drop in latency or response time or whatnot from having a really long HDMI cable? I know there is some signal loss with ethernet (obviously a very different thing) so I just wanted to make sure this was even feasible before I tried it. The game plan is to buy USB extensions so I can use my Xbox controller, a long ass HDMI cable for video, and audio extensions to plug into my speaker system out in the living room. 

Thanks to anyone who can answer these (probably simple) questions! If any of you guys are living room gamers, how do you like it, what's your setup like, and what would you have done differently?

Corsair 5000D / Intel Core i7 12700k / Noctua NH-D15 / MSI Z690 Pro-Wifi DDR4 / RTX 3080 Ti Founder's Edition / 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz / EVGA SuperNova 650w / Samsung 850 Pro EVO 256GB / ADATA SX8200 Pro / MSI Mag 274QRF-QD / LG CX 55" / Logitech G-Pro Wireless

I think it'd be fine with one really long cable. As long as you don't use extensions hdmi plugs.

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

If the TV has HDMI, USE IT!

HDMI carries both Video and Audio.

Because he had a hard drive.

the TV may even have a USB input for the controller.

i do have to ask though, why not move the system out there?

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

no latency, it will either work or not work (if its too long)

but I would just put the PC there, or move the tv to your PC

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I don't think there would be any drop in visual quality or latency, although you'll have cables all over the place.

Main PC: i5 4590 @ 3.5 GHz ♦ RX 480 Armor OC ♦ 16 GB DDR3 ♦ GA-Z97-HD3 ♦ 120 GB 840 EVO ♦ 120 GB Intel 520 ♦ W10 Home

Scrapyard PC: Xeon X5460 @ 3.8 GHz ♦ HD 7870 ♦ 8 GB DDR2 ♦ GA-P35-DS3L ♦ 80 GB Intel 320 ♦ 160 GB WD Caviar SE ♦ W10 Home

My dorm room is small as hell, I got pretty unlucky and I am squeezed into a room with another guy that is meant for only one person to live in. I have a bunk bed and underneath it is a desk, with my computer and cables all meticulously managed to use as little space as possible. There are 5 of us total and it really just doesn't make sense for me to have my computer out in the living room. The only reason I would want to have long cables going back to my room is for the occasional time when I wanna chill out on the couch and play the very few games that I would actually play with a controller. And the TV we have out in the living room has no aux in, only out (who knows why) so I would have to get another extension for my audio. 

Corsair 5000D / Intel Core i7 12700k / Noctua NH-D15 / MSI Z690 Pro-Wifi DDR4 / RTX 3080 Ti Founder's Edition / 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz / EVGA SuperNova 650w / Samsung 850 Pro EVO 256GB / ADATA SX8200 Pro / MSI Mag 274QRF-QD / LG CX 55" / Logitech G-Pro Wireless

I game in my living room from time to time. Overall it's fun and different than playing on a smaller screen. I don't have an issue with latency, I do struggle with the aggressive sharpening and other processing from my television. Don't be turned off right away if you have the same issues. There are a lot of settings you can turn off that make PC gaming much better on a tv. Every model is a little different, so make sure you go through each item to see if the result is more pleasing to you.

In terms of cable length... You have nothing to worry about. Stick with 50 feet or less. Don't buy the absolute cheapest model you can find.