Internal SSd Vs External USB SSD UPDATE!

Dragontamercos

(origonal post) http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/454846-internal-ssd-vs-external-usb-ssd/#entry6102289

after playing with my softmodded wii i i thought of someing

SD CARDS!!!! sd cards are FAST they are solid state (or im death.... or im just stupid YOU DECIDE) and with a max of 512GB for 350$ (PNY) i can make a fast SMOVE BIG storage

and i wont be filling my usb 3.0 slots if i have 3X 5 SD card drive bays

but again what do you think

A human who wants so destroy all else

-demonic satan Duane

(origonal post) http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/454846-internal-ssd-vs-external-usb-ssd/#entry6102289

SD CARDS!!!! sd cards are FAST they are solid state (or im death.... or im just stupid YOU DECIDE) and with a max of 512GB for 350$ (PNY) i can make a fast SMOVE BIG storage

SD cards are slow as fuck. 16 MB/s max read/write. You should not do this; it won't be worth it.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

External USB 3.0 SSD drives can cap out around 450-500 MB/s due to the 5 Gb/s limit of USB 3.0 (but USB 3.1 is faster than sata 6 and as such is capped at sata 6 speeds as that is actually what the usb connection transfers). That said, using external drives as boot devices is generally a big no-no and basically voids the point.

SD cards however are dogshit. They generally are around the 15-30 MB/s range with the fastest reaching 45 MB/s (this is actually due to the form factor lacking sufficient parallel processes to make nand fast enough to matter.)

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

well fuck

i guess i never had a fast small usb

*walks back to a board labeled drawing*

A human who wants so destroy all else

-demonic satan Duane

SD cards are slow as fuck. 16 MB/s max read/write. You should not do this; it won't be worth it.

That's because your SD card reader is connected via USB 2.0 , I'm getting 90-ish MB/s out of my Samsung Pro SD cards.

That's because your SD card reader is connected via USB 2.0 , I'm getting 90-ish MB/s out of my Samsung Pro SD cards.

SD cards generally have a maximum of around 20 MB/s read/write regardless of the interface used.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

http://www.amazon.com/PNY-SDHC-Flash-Memory-P-SDH32G10-EFS2/dp/B004LQYV5E

Those are high-tier SD cards meant for photo and video work, not cheap, consumer level performance. The ones you are showing are prosumer level.

I'm finding that PNY card on Amazon for $18.54, the Samsung for $27.99

Sure, they are 50% more expensive, but IMO they are worth that difference.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-32GB-Class-MB-SG32D-AM/dp/B00IVPU6AU/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1443992350&sr=1-1&keywords=Samsung+PRO+32GB

Oh, and congrats on 2k posts. 

Well even if they work fine, theyvare not desigbed for this workload. Little to no cache and low endurance.

Rhe TBW is fairly low I assune.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil