Internal SSd Vs External USB SSD

Dragontamercos

While looking at parts for a new pc Build i was thinking about putting in a
"SERVER" 100tb (Not inspired by linus well up until i seen the video i was going to have 20 enclosures just stacked) then i was looking at ssds And i realized something a  8TB externeal ssd goes at arround 300-500$ but an INTERNAL GOES FOR 2000-4000 thats possibly more expensive then the OMEGA TITAN Z anyway i was thinking of building my pc with an external ssd

SO WHAT DO YOU THINK

A human who wants so destroy all else

-demonic satan Duane

yeah external is really slow

also it has little endurance, since those drives are made for data storage long-term

basically you fill it up once and dont touch it for years

its not something to use as your OS or data drive that you read/write to hours a day

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

"Go internal or get out" as I've said this one time.

Internal Drives will be far faster, as they'll be operating over the SATA connection where an external drive will most likely be operating at USB 3 / 2.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

I don't think those external ones are solid state drives. If you are planning to use multiple external drives, then you might quickly run out of USB ports. And they are not really meant for that kind of use.

Well.................

i was going to grave an enclousher but most high end come with arround 4-6 spots usb 3.0 headers i would just grave 3 then i would have 24TB HHD or not

-demonic satan Duane

"Go internal or get out" as I've said this one time.

Internal Drives will be far faster, as they'll be operating over the SATA connection where an external drive will most likely be operating at USB 3 / 2.

well i have never had a fast hard drive the fastest ive had was 150Mb/S so it doesent matter to me

-demonic satan Duane

well i have never had a fast hard drive the fastest ive had was 150Mb/S so it doesent matter to me

Oh trust me, when you boot to desktop in like 12 seconds it'll matter. 

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

8tb external SSD? Where?!?!?!?!? I'll buy that off you for $1000 u go buy it for $500 pretty plzzzzzzzzzz

is that good or is it bad??

-demonic satan Duane

is that good or is it bad??

That's great, and then programs launch instantaneously. USB SSD's can match that type of speed, at least not for a reasonable price.

There is a lot of confusion in here...

I'm pretty sure OP is confused between a solid state drive and a hard drive. 8TB external hard drives are around that $300-$500, and you CAN find 8TB enterprise internal hard drives for $2000-$4000. If you compare similar drives they will be roughly the same price for both internal and external.

If you want mass storage, go buy a bunch of 4-8TB internal drives, for $150-$500/ea depending on what you buy. Seagate 8TB archive drives are $260/ea, which I believe is the best storage for dollar, but could be wrong. Most people don't like Seagate because of the Backblaze "reports" where tons of mainstream shucked Seagates (held in version 1/2 cases and supported by rubber bands...) failed, where other manufacture's commercial drives held in updated cases with proper support didn't fail as often. To each their own, go with what you trust and are willing to risk, I personally haven't had issues with all my Seagates, save one if I remember correctly.

Even though you technically could plug a ton of external drives into USB ports, just because you have 10+ USB ports, doesn't mean you get full bandwidth on all of them, they go through a hub on the motherboard that is the bottleneck. If you really wanted you could add a bunch of PCIe USB cards, but its just not worth all the additional components to fail. Keep it simple and use SATA with either RAID cards or HBAs.

Keep in mind, you aren't going to be building a 100TB server for less than $6,000 or so.

He is talking about using them for mass storage, not as a boot drive.

While looking at parts for a new pc Build i was thinking about putting in a

"SERVER" 100tb (Not inspired by linus well up until i seen the video i was going to have 20 enclosures just stacked) then i was looking at ssds And i realized something a  8TB externeal ssd goes at arround 300-500$ but an INTERNAL GOES FOR 2000-4000 thats possibly more expensive then the OMEGA TITAN Z anyway i was thinking of building my pc with an external ssd

SO WHAT DO YOU THINK

Hey there :)

Regarding the main question, Internal drives generally work faster compared to external ones due to the fact that the SATa nd PCIe ports work much faster and more stable compared to external ones such as USB. 
What are you going to use the SSD for? I would imagine that using one internally would make much more sense. 
Posting examples of the products that you are interested would be useful. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/