Pump/Res combo question.

Hello to any kind person that reads this,

I have recently saved up cash and am looking to buy a pump/bayres combo as it is easier for me to manage, first time watercooling, however, I have an Air 540 which the bays are vertical. Just asking, would this work in a vertical setup?

1-8.jpg?format=750w

Don't know, because I can't see it on the picture. But if it looks somewhat like on the following picture it works:

1140144.jpg

Just make sure the pump sits as low as possible. So in this case you would have to rotate it 90° clockwise so the little window is above the XSPC logo. Then you have to fill up the res as high as possible so the pump doesn't run out of water.

Will be a little tricky to fill, because the fillport will be on the side, instead of the top, but it should work.

As long as the water line is above the pump it's going to work. I've seen a couple of build logs with Air 540s using Bay pump-res combos. Nonetheless, the hard part is to actually fill the damn thing.

You may get away with this particular bayres if you modify the 5,25" holding bracket from the rear panel, making a small cut that would allow you to use the fill port with the res mounted.

Like this:

fpyJsL6.png

Another option would be to get a res that has the fill port on the front. Like this one from Alphacool

E46fzpk.jpg

I have that alphacool bay res vertically as shown in the post before me.

9/10 bayres/pump combos work fine vertically. Just make sure the pump can not run dry and you might have to consider working out some way to fill it if the fillport gets blocked of for some reason

Do consult the manual/forums to check if the pump can work in that orientation.

Edit:

I have managed to track down the manual for you. I can not give a conclusive answer to your question but I do suspect that it can not be mounted vertically. It appears the pump is feeding on the right-hand side (in the first picture in the manual that is). If mounted vertically the pump fights gravity on the intake which is rarely a good idea, Or has a very small window of usable water in the res.

Again I have no experience with this pump nor any similar product so for a definit answer I hope someone more experienced can jump in right about now xD

Edited by QBtech