Vulcan vs DX12

imminentferret

I am just curious what exactly is Vulcan and is this something that can benefit me on my Windows 10 gaming machine?

I am just curious what exactly is Vulcan and is this something that can benefit me on my Windows 10 gaming machine?

Vulcan and DX12 both use very similar underlying technologies. Vulcan is open source and cross platform, while DX12 is closed source and Windows 10 exclusive. You can take advantage of either of them on your Win10 machine. It doesn't matter which you use, both should give you comparable performance due to their underlying similarities.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

I just can see that i have DirectX 12 in dxdiag, OS is Windows 10 and ive dont see improvement in games because my GPU and CPU are beast (for me yes but for others maybe not)

I just can see that i have DirectX 12 in dxdiag, OS is Windows 10 and ive dont see improvement in games because my GPU and CPU are beast (for me yes but for others maybe not)

First of all, your GPU is not even close to being a beast ^^

Second of all, the games you play need to be DX12 optimized to be any difference, not the DX12 itself.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

GTX 960 = "Beast"????

REDLINECore i7 6700k 4.8ghz 1.37v.Noctua NH-u12s.MSI Z170A Gaming M7.16GB Kingston Hyper X Fury Black.MSI Gaming R9 390 8GB Crossfire + GTX 780 PhysX.Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD.Fractal Design Define R5 Midi Black.SeaSonic X Series 1050w Gold.Logitech G302 Deadalus Prime.Ducky DK2108 Zero Mech Cherry Blue.

vulkan will take the place of opengl. it's an api just like dx12, but unlike dx12 it will be open source and cross-platform.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

@EpicAdom as said.

The only advantage that DX12 has are the same one from any DirectX vs OpenGL, for developers:

-> You can fully debug DirectX. OpenGL you can't. You only have absolute pain in the ass, and super primitive debug tools on OpenGL, making development slow and tedious (and as time is money, cost more)

-> DirectX has jam packed documentation for all levels from beginners to advanced. Lots of books. Lots of online resources.

-> DirectX has strong Nvidia support

-> Microsoft support (although not free)

-> Full integration in the best IDE software platform available in programming language where you normally do big games, for developers: Visual Studio

-> Integration with Windows Presentation Foundation and any framework from Microsoft using XAML, allowing developers of applications to use DirectX with greater ease in their software for hardware acceleration, including Direct2D (part of DirectX) by default without the developer knowing as he/she does the program GUI, allowing in providing a rich and nice looking user experience, that is fast and responsive.

-> 'Exclusive mode', where when a game runs in full screen it has exclusive hold of a GPU for greater performance.

-> DirectX runs on XBox One with little to no modification (maybe Windows Phone, but I don't know for sure), while Sony and Nintendo uses a modified version of OpenGL.

So, on the PC side of things, DirectX has a lot of advantages for developers, hence why it has and probably will continue to have strong support, despite the fact that OpenGL is multi-platform (despite that on the mobile side of things, except for a few GPUs chips, it only supports a subset of OpenGL, called OpenGL ES)

So while Vulkan and DirectX12 are the same, unless Vulkan has TRULY a BIG step up over DirectX12, I don't see most PC gaming switching to Vulkan, not unless the points or most points mentioned above are solved.

Also, DirectX12 is out now. We need content. Vulkan is still in the works, and only has an expected release date of 2015 (and we will need games that fully utilizes it.. so expect late 2016 or 2017)

Its worth worth noting that despite what the press tells you DirectX is not a graphics API. Its a way of accessing accelerated hardware. One major part is the GPU graphics pipeline but there is also input, sound and networking which are all important for games. Vulkan is a replacement for openGL, it does graphics but not the other parts, for those you need an additional library. They exist, for both Windows, Linux and Mac as cross platform but they often aren't as capable and they certainly are not as well supported.

Having not developed in DX12 yet I can't comment as to how easy it is to debug compared to DX11 or openGL but DX11 was vastly easier than openGL to understand from a code point of view, so much better documented and with a lot more code fragments.

I hope the support kronos is getting on the vulcan project derails directx12 as I don't like windows 10 and vulcan is open source so I would benefit from it's adoption

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

First of all, your GPU is not even close to being a beast ^^

Second of all, the games you play need to be DX12 optimized to be any difference, not the DX12 itself.

GTX 960 = "Beast"????

guys, he said it was beast for him, not beast for everyone, just him

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

Still. I have a 960. Not beast.

And yes, this is taking into account the bottlenecks from my shitty CPU.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

Still. I have a 960. Not beast.

And yes, this is taking into account the bottlenecks from my shitty CPU.

well for you its not but for him it is

Spoiler

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

well for you its not but for him it is

That makes literally no sense at all. It's the same GPU. Mine is clocked 50MHz below his. I've OC'd to 1500, and I know what it performs like. It's good, but not "beast" by any means.

That makes literally no sense at all. It's the same GPU. Mine is clocked 50MHz below his. I've OC'd to 1500, and I know what it performs like. It's good, but not "beast" by any means.

its dependent on the person for some poeple its more then they need so its beast but for others its not enough so its not beast

Spoiler

its dependent on the person for some poeple its more then they need so its beast but for others its not enough so its not beast

Ok...yeah it depends upon what you use it for. Now I get what you're saying.

+1