Do Motherboards have a TDP rating?

Eventually, I'll be putting together a new system.  

With the resources here, I've learned a few things I was unaware of.  One of them was what TDP (Thermal Design Power) means when it comes to a processor. 

What I curious about now is if motherboards come with these values.  Or is it more like if a motherboard supports a specific chip/socket - the TDP of any chip that fits the socket will never be higher than the motherboard can handle.

I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

Thanks!

no, unless you are planning using FX9xxx series cpu's  :huh:

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Boards have a TDP they support up to. A lot of boards are known to be able to exceed stated TDP (i.e. 140W Phenom on 125w board.) There are probably still some AMD boards out there with a 95w TDP limit.

If you mean in terms of the boards TDP consumption, it usually isn't stated but typically <50. That's being generous.

Error: 410

no, unless you are planning using FX9xxx series cpu's  :huh:

oh yeah, I forgot about that

Motherboards by themselves don't output enough heat to make the manufacture measure it but motherboards to have a limit on how much power they can handle for example if you pull 300watts through a CPU socket odds are that board will end up exploding or ending up with bad parts because of the heat.

I guess I should have mentioned I am (currently) planning on the FX-8350 with an ASUS Sabertooth board.

So I guess it's good news that I don't have to really worry, since the ASUS board it one on the upper shelf of quality.

Thanks everyone for their help! 

I guess I should have mentioned I am (currently) planning on the FX-8350 with an ASUS Sabertooth board.

So I guess it's good news that I don't have to really worry, since the ASUS board it one on the upper shelf of quality.

Thanks everyone for their help! 

Any 970 or 990 chipset would work for the 8350.

990 only really recommended if you're pushing a high overclock.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

You also have to worry about like the older Z68 boards.  Even tho, CPU's like the I7-2600K can run on a 4 pin connector, you def won't get decent overclocks on a 4 pin connector :(

<3

Steph

My PC: CPU: I7-2600K CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Evo, Mother Board: MSI Z77 Mpower, Ram: 4x4GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Corsair Vengeance (Black), Case: HAF 932, PSU: CM GX 650 (Upgrading to RM750 soon), SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 120GB SSD, HD:  750GB Seagate 7200 RPM, Optical: Samsung Blu-ray burner, GPU: MSI GTX 560 TI Twin Frozr (Upgrading to an HD R9-290X on launch)

Any 970 or 990 chipset would work for the 8350.

990 only really recommended if you're pushing a high overclock.

I would get something like a M5A97 R2.0 for the 970 chipset and the Asus M5A99FX PRO for the 990FX chipset. These motherboards will support your 8350.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I would get something like a M5A97 R2.0 for the 970 chipset and the Asus M5A99FX PRO for the 990FX chipset. These motherboards will support your 8350.

I was thinking more like 970A-G43 or 970 Extreme 4 for sli/crossfire

or 990FXA-UD3

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

• 3 years later...
On 8/13/2013 at 6:06 AM, TygerStrype said:

Eventually, I'll be putting together a new system.  

With the resources here, I've learned a few things I was unaware of.  One of them was what TDP (Thermal Design Power) means when it comes to a processor. 

What I curious about now is if motherboards come with these values.  Or is it more like if a motherboard supports a specific chip/socket - the TDP of any chip that fits the socket will never be higher than the motherboard can handle.

I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

Thanks!

Then why 'asus h61m-k' does not support i5 2400?

Generally , a motherboard ( and the VRM/power delivery etc ) supports all the cpu's on a given socket , and TDP isn't an issue .

However , their have been some cases where this has been untrue .

The AMD FX 9000 series were released quite a bit after the 8000 series , and featured significantly higher TDP , despite being for the same socket . As such , many existing motherboards of the time ( meant for the 8000 series ) were unable to support the high power of the new chips , and had to specifically support the 9000 series . granted , the chips would boot no problem , but shortly after there were horror stories about boards catching fire due to inadequate VRM's . 

this was also the case for the pentium 4 series ( mainly prescott ) and pentium D back in the day.

But nowadays , processors have gotten considerably more efficient , to the point that power circuitry on your boards won't be a problem , unless you plan to do hardcore overclocking.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

4 hours ago, Shaharair_Veyron said:

Then why 'asus h61m-k' does not support i5 2400?

probably an oversight . given that chipset and socket , i have no doubt the chip would boot in that board.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case