Massive AMD Graphics Price-Cuts Across The 7900 Series.

I would still rather a 760 than a 7950 but man that is nice. I like the idea of the new bundle too. 

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

I'm not sure how AMD can make any profit on a 352mm GPU die (7950), selling it for less than $200 that would barely cover the silicone cost.

Yeah, a company has to literally go bankrupt to give you this much value.

I would still rather a 760 than a 7950 but man that is nice. I like the idea of the new bundle too. 

Why is that ? you get better computer performance and more memory with a 7950 and it consumes less power than the 760.

Why is that ? you get better computer performance and more memory with a 7950 and it consumes less power than the 760.

this thread isnt about that if you would like to talk about it i can PM you :D I have derailed many a thread because of this argument. so i would rather keep this one clean :p

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

I like what AMD did here, instead of doing a re-badge of their graphics cards like Nvidia did, they just cut the prices.
You basically get a 7950 for the price of a 7870 now and a 7970 for the price of a 7950, this is really exciting, perhaps time to run crossfirex with that new driver.

this thread isnt about that if you would like to talk about it i can PM you :D I have derailed many a thread because of this argument. so i would rather keep this one clean :P

Good idea, yes please PM me, I'm genuinely interested :) .

Yeah, a company has to literally go bankrupt to give you this much value.

Indeed, if you look at the margin structure of Nvidia, you find that the cost to make a 770 & a 760 is less than the cost to make a 7970 or a 7950 because the die size is smaller (292mm vs 352mm) and they skimp on the memory so to speak (2GB vs 3GB) but they sell their cards for higher prices, that's why they make more money on every card they sell compared to AMD on average .

SON OF A.... they reduce the price of their gpus as i got mine weeks ago, damn if i waited then i would get a 7970

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

AMD is doing it right.

At least that's what I'd say to keep the prices from going back up.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I would like to see the 7850 get cheaper as well so that more PC gamers on a tight budget can get a quality GPU. Rather than buying 77xx series or even Gefore 650ti. That would give higher baseline performance for the PC gaming race overall, something better for devs to target. With the 99xx series coming out I'm hoping that the 7850 can dive down in price and we can phase out 7750 etc... That would be good for the industry. 

Indeed, if you look at the margin structure of Nvidia, you find that the cost to make a 770 & a 760 is less than the cost to make a 7970 or a 7950 because the die size is smaller (292mm vs 352mm) and they skimp on the memory so to speak (2GB vs 3GB) but they sell their cards for higher prices, that's why they make more money on every card they sell compared to AMD on average .

Yep, lately it seems like AMD is more interested in increasing their market share, rather than maximising profitability. Maybe some strategic reason for this I don't know...

newegg

7950 for 180$

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

doesn't any one remember when nvidia changed the price of a 470 from 450 to 250 :P

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

newegg

7950 for 180$

unfortunately its the shitty MSI version that has a tendency to overheat

Yep, lately it seems like AMD is more interested in increasing their market share, rather than maximising profitability. Maybe some strategic reason for this I don't know...

I think so too, they seem to be more after market share than profitability, which is totally fine by me, especially if they continue doing these crazy deals and game bundles.

I think so too, they seem to be more after market share than profitability, which is totally fine by me, especially if they continue doing these crazy deals and game bundles.

Get the average person using their tech now and it's more likely they'll stick with them in the future. AMD gaining market share now is a pretty wise move, even if it means minimal profit. Long term goals is what it's about.

i hope the price drop hits in australia

amd fx 6300  @4.4ghz @1.4/ga-970a-ud3/HD78702gb /antec 620w psu

I think what you guys are missing is, AMD has made their money on these cards already, how long have they been out and how many units have they sold. They have cut prices on these cards for the next line of cards due to come out and that is where they will make the money. Also, think of all the money they will make on new console releases as well. I don't think they are hurting at all.