Why do sata power cables come in 3?

Why do sata power cables always have 3 cables in one makes no sense to me.. is there a reason or what? And do some psus come with single sata power cables or all with 3?

Space saving is probably the reason. Why have an individual cable for every SATA device when you can chain them to save space. More importantly, SATA devices are low power in comparison to other devices you connect to your power supply so chaining is again a good option. Also, I'm pretty sure my EVGA SuperNOVA G2 has a SATA cable with 4 heads on it, I'll double check tonight to see if that is correct or I am seeing things.

im sure its gonna save space when your optical drive isn't near your hdd's and you have to use 2 sata power with 3 cables on each.

Because they're capable of carrying enough power for 3 sata devices and usually a molex or two. You can usually find extension or direct adapters for your satapower cables but usually it makes no sense as most cases have their power plugs for drives on the back of the case and not the main cavity.

im sure its gonna save space when your optical drive isn't near your hdd's and you have to use 2 sata power with 3 cables on each.

Your case has plenty of room, and isnt something where an extra satapower port would be showing if you have correct cable management...

Gaming PC: CPU: i7 4770k@4.2GHz w/ CM Nepton 140xl, GPU: Gigabyte 1070 @2050, RAM: ADATA XPG V1 16GB@2133MHz, Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 7, Case: Corsair NZXT S340.

Because, when you want to put more than one drive in a system, it makes perfect sense: 

120830-45.jpg

My Seasonic PSU came with five cables with three connectors on them, two cables with single connector and one cable with five connectors

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

Because, when you want to put more than one drive in a system, it makes perfect sense: 

120830-45.jpg

My Seasonic PSU came with five cables with three connectors on them, two cables with single connector and one cable with five connectors

i know why its used for multiple hard drives, but imagine if you wanted to add a optical drive to that, another cable with 4 connectors come out of it to manage for one optical drive

Your what???

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

2 for HDD Raid, 1 for SSD.