How do I transition from windows 10 to linux?

Noober62

I'm getting tired of windows and I would like to know how I can switch to linux as a daily operating system. I've used linux before, but not as a daily driver. Im going to switch to elementary os because Im very familiar with that and I have used it in the past. But how do I replace programs like Adobe phototshop, premiere pro, and after effects? What about gaming and drivers for video cards? I've used wine and play on linux, but those don't do justice. Got any Ideas?

---Nate the Great!

Yeah, I wouldn't use linux as a daily driver.

After doing some research, it seems too complicated for me to use as a daily OS.

---Nate the Great!

I'm getting tired of windows and I would like to know how I can switch to linux as a daily operating system. I've used linux before, but not as a daily driver. Im going to switch to elementary os because Im very familiar with that and I have used it in the past. But how do I replace programs like Adobe phototshop, premiere pro, and after effects? What about gaming and drivers for video cards? I've used wine and play on linux, but those don't do justice. Got any Ideas?

specs of your machine ?

(similar to nothing you have seeing, is awesome)

(similar to windows, and no need for updates)

(and why linux)

But how do I replace programs like Adobe phototshop, premiere pro, and after effects? What about gaming and drivers for video cards?

You'll need to dual-boot with Windows, emulate Windows, or find Linux-native alternatives. Windows application have to run in Windows, one way or another.

Honestly, for the ease of use Ubuntu is probably the best distro to choose.  Easy to install drivers, easy to install programs, huge community support, etc.  Some games/applications work fine in WINE, others don't.  You can actually look at a database and see what applications work, and do not.  I am always very skeptical of people who say they need "Adobe product".  Do you really, or do you just do silly things on the side  for fun.

Alternatives to...

Photoshop: GIMP

Premiere Pro: Lightworks, Kdenlive, Pitivi

After Effects: Jahshaka, Blender, Natron

After doing some research, it seems too complicated for me to use as a daily OS.

You did research and changed your mind in 3 minutes?

Either way if you want Adobe suite and to play a lot of games Linux really isn't suitable.

If only I could play all my games and use my software on Linux... I would be sooo happy.

●CPU: i7-4790K w/H100i ●Mobo: MSI Z97 MPower ●RAM: Corsair 16GB Dominator ●GPU: EVGA ACX SC 780 3GB(X2) ●SSD: 850 Pro 256GB ●Case: 450D ●PSU: AX 860i ●Monitor: Asus PB278Q 1440p

If only I could play all my games and use my software on Linux... I would be sooo happy.

Vulkan (thanks AMD) is on way friend  ^_^

(is the DX12 of Linux)  :ph34r:

Vulkan (thanks AMD) is on way friend  ^_^

(is the DX12 of Linux)  :ph34r:

Vulkan on its won will change nothing, its up to developers to actually add support for it and unless the game was getting OpenGL support anyway I wouldn't expect Vulkan to magically change developers minds.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Linux is no fit state as a solo daily driver for most power users. I have done it in the past when things were worse yes. But I can't recommend it to you?

Dare I say OS X...depending on your hardware could be though

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

I prefer dualbooting windows and linux myself

CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6 Core 12 Threads Motherboard TUF B450M-PLUS GAMING RAM 32GB Dual-Channel DDR4 GPU 11GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti Case be quiet! White OS Linux Mint Cinnamon