Should I buy a refurbished power supply?

~Expertise
Go to solution Solved by STRMfrmXMN,

I'm talking about this power supply:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139132&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL083115CA&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL083115CA-_-EMC-083115-Index-_-PowerSupplies-_-17139132-L06C

It's an AX series, which is considered a top tier power supply. To add on, it's fully modular and platinum.

What do you think, should I get it?

Refurbished PSUs are often better than used ones. The AX series is quite good though often suffers from coil whine.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139132&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL083115CA&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL083115CA-_-EMC-083115-Index-_-PowerSupplies-_-17139132-L06C

It's an AX series, which is considered a top tier power supply. To add on, it's fully modular and platinum.

No. SOrry. No psu used, case, hdd, ssd. They all are important and get worn down. From newegg I would say its ok but not ebay.

Just because you don't care, doesn't mean other others don't. Don't be a self-centered asshole. -Thank You a PSA from the people who do not say random shit on the internet. 

Refurbished PSUs are often better than used ones. The AX series is quite good though often suffers from coil whine.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

No. SOrry. No psu used, case, hdd, ssd. They all are important and get worn down. From newegg I would say its ok but not ebay.

I could use cardboard as a case. The case could be old and have no paint it would still work.

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

I could use cardboard as a case. The case could be old and have no paint it would still work.

you could yes. It would be ugly and not stable

Just because you don't care, doesn't mean other others don't. Don't be a self-centered asshole. -Thank You a PSA from the people who do not say random shit on the internet. 

you could yes. It would be ugly and not stable

It would be cheap and functional. If u use good cardboard it would be strong enough to sit on.

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

Not a bad deal at all for an AXi PSU which is our top tier. Plus, should anything happen to it, you still have a one year warranty from us. 

I sure as heck know I wouldn't.  Why mess around when picking the most important part of your pc?

Not a bad deal at all for an AXi PSU which is our top tier. Plus, should anything happen to it, you still have a one year warranty from us. 

Do you know if these power supplies are refurbished by the manufacturer or by a third party?

Thanks!

Do you know if these power supplies are refurbished by the manufacturer or by a third party?

Thanks!

They're usually refurbished by the manufacturer from what I can tell. A competent person with soldering irons and electrical wiring knowledge and whatnot can often fix many PSU problems.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

They're usually refurbished by the manufacturer from what I can tell. A competent person with soldering irons and electrical wiring knowledge and whatnot can often fix many PSU problems.

Correct. All refurb products are thoroughly checked before sale, reconditioning process are done in house (HQ), then we send them over to retailers once it passes all the test. 

Correct. All refurb products are thoroughly checked before sale, reconditioning process are done in house (HQ), then we send them over to retailers once it passes all the test. 

By "in-house" do you mean the OEM (usually CWT) or do you mean by a Corsair employee (doing the repairing process)? Something I always wondered.

Edited by STRMfrmXMN

By "in-house" do you mean the OEM (usually CWT) or do you mean by a Corsair employee (doing the repairing process)? Something I always wondered.

That would be Corsair. We have our own facility and equipment to process refurbish products, hence the 1 year warranty (in this case) is directly from us.