Intel shows GLNext (Vulkan) at SIGGRAPH 2015

f**ing amazing, just look at it .. I'm in love :wub:  :

---

come on Khronos Group, work faster :rolleyes: release it, naw!

just imagine if GLNext performs just as good, if not better, under Linux ... MicroSoft will have problems; but only if ValvE get off their collective arses and fix STEAM (for linux x64)

^ skip to 1H 11M

press release: https://www.khronos.org/news/press/khronos-expands-scope-of-3d-open-standard-ecosystem

Let's hope that once this comes developers won't waste time not developing on this platform.

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900X – Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wifi  – RAM: 4 x 16 GB G. Skill Trident Z @ 3200mhz- GPU: ASUS  Strix Geforce GTX 1080ti– Case: Phankteks Enthoo Pro M – Storage: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo, 1TB Intel 800p, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB & WD Blue 1 TB PSU: EVGA 1000P2– Display(s): ASUS PB238Q, AOC 4k, Korean 1440p 144hz Monitor - Cooling: NH-U12S, 2 gentle typhoons and 3 noiseblocker eloops – Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB Mouse: G502 Rgb & G Pro Wireless– Sound: Logitech z623 & AKG K240

Let's just see if NVIDIA will complain about this Benchmark as well xD

Ok, the death bell for DirectX has been rung. Since Vulcan is platform independant and provides the same benefits of DirectX 12 while also running on mobile devices (think ARM) DirectX definitely won't be as popular as it was-which is good for the open source community and gamers on any platform.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

you can thank AMD for this.... this is basically the fully evolved Mantle. Finally AMD did something right...

If only their driver team were this good...

but damn, this is nice

Awesome!

Title should be intel shows Vulkan tho

All game devs better start using this API asap. I'd be pissed if they don't. I'm guessing the hexacore is gonna be the new entry gaming cpu.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

you can thank AMD for this.... this is basically the fully evolved Mantle. Finally AMD did something right...

If only their driver team were this good...

but damn, this is nice

what about AMD64, AMD pushed 64bit. 

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

what about AMD64, AMD pushed 64bit. 

Intel had a solution ready before AMD64. But intels solution is not backwards compatible with their own x86.. meaning if we went with Intels solution, we would either buy 32 bit or 64bit CPUs. AMDs 64bit system was based within the X86 system, and thus were backwards compatible. This caught on with devs around the world because it would be less of a hassle for them... So AMD64 went mainstream while intel just put their own 64bit system on a shelf. Waiting for the day they need it again.

I hope Vulkan is succesful, since it can be used on multiple platforms, we have better choice, and the devs have more potential customers.

Intel had a solution ready before AMD64. But intels solution is not backwards compatible with their own x86.. meaning if we went with Intels solution, we would either buy 32 bit or 64bit CPUs. AMDs 64bit system was based within the X86 system, and thus were backwards compatible. This caught on with devs around the world because it would be less of a hassle for them... So AMD64 went mainstream while intel just put their own 64bit system on a shelf. Waiting for the day they need it again.

thats my point AMD has done alot of useful things in the past. that some people didn't realize they did.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

It'll be fun to see how they work Bajor and Romulus into their naming schemes.  Gotta love trekkies :)

Hopefully now that intel has shown this we can look forward to less dogmatic prattle from the mob.

Though I don't think Vulkan will help with androids battery life sucking issues, it would be nice to see it be implemented.

wait so is this meant to improve gpu or cpu performance or both?

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

wait so is this meant to improve gpu or cpu performance or both?

Both while also reducing power consumption by apparently a large amount.

PMSL

Both while also reducing power consumption by apparently a large amount.

ok how much is it said to do

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

ok how much is it said to do

Just watch the video, I have to say that it will be a really good thing for everyone who uses any device that is capable of running OpenGL-which is any smartphone and PC. Unlike DirectX where its Microsoft Windows x86/x86-64 only.

PMSL

Ok, the death bell for DirectX has been rung. Since Vulcan is platform independant and provides the same benefits of DirectX 12 while also running on mobile devices (think ARM) DirectX definitely won't be as popular as it was-which is good for the open source community and gamers on any platform.

Not to mention this works on Windows 7. If devs accept this, no one who doesn't want to upgrade to Windows 10 should feel compelled to.

Just watch the video, I have to say that it will be a really good thing for everyone who uses any device that is capable of running OpenGL-which is any smartphone and PC. Unlike DirectX where its Microsoft Windows x86/x86-64 only.

Correction: xbone and Windows 10 only.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Not to mention this works on Windows 7. If devs accept this, no one who doesn't want to upgrade to Windows 10 should feel compelled to.

Microsoft have made a big mistake having DirectX only compatible with Windows.

PMSL

If this thing takes off, it's going to blow DX12 out of the water simply because of the fact that it has better compatibility. 

Problem with Mantle: Only on AMD Cards.

Problem with DX12: Only on Windows 10.

Problem with OpenGL: Shit performance.

Also, Microsoft made a huge mistake ditching all of their old operating systems for Xbone and Windows 10. 

inb4 Microsoft makes a desperate attempt to redeem themselves in the PC graphics market.

Microsoft have made a big mistake having DirectX only compatible with Windows.

There's a good reason that so many games jumped straight from Dx 9 to Dx 11. It's not the first time Microsoft have done something silly like tying it to an OS in the vain hope it'll make it do well.

Though I don't think Vulkan will help with androids battery life sucking issues, it would be nice to see it be implemented.

Has no effect on normal android non-gaming usage. It will increase the possible gaming time on battery power, reducing CPU power consumption when gaming. Apparently having 4 cores lightly loaded takes less power than 1 core being stressed while the others idle.