i7 4790k temps insain

ParksNeedsHelp

I upgraded my pc (put two 360 rads) and my temps would max out at 60c (overclocked to 4.5) when running stress test with the old set up. I start it up and went into bios and seen it was hitting 60 degrees so i down clocked it to 3.5ghz and it is still hitting 62c at IDLE!! I also upgraded the fans and it is moving twice as much air as before. The water block is firmly attached. Any ideas?

In the BIOS? It's never running at idle in the BIOS. It's pretty damn loaded in there actually.

If that is the case then my Intel stock cooler is a wizard, BIOS temps for my I3 are 32C. Note this is a prebuilt with NO chassis fans.

Check you have flow and nothing is blocked. Is it hitting 60C in the bios after a clean boot? aka shut down for 10 mins then reboot?

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

In the BIOS? It's never running at idle in the BIOS. It's pretty damn loaded in there actually.

I am in w7 with hwmonitor and checking temps with it. 

Check you have flow and nothing is blocked. Is it hitting 60C in the bios after a clean boot? aka shut down for 10 mins then reboot?

Yes jus starting up after it has sat. There are no air bubbles in the block (it is clear) and the flow is good.

I'd check voltages, sounds like it's over volting. Mines boots a 4.4ghz on 1.3v and sits at around 31C in the bios running a 360mm + 240mm rads (cpu loop only)

Ryzen Ram Guide

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

I'd check voltages, sounds like it's over volting. Mines boots a 4.4ghz on 1.3v and sits at around 31C in the bios running a 360mm + 240mm rads (cpu loop only)

My volts was the same. I just put the volts to 1.1 and that brought the temp down to 50 at idle but that is crazy and i dont see what the issue is.

Can you give me a little more detail please?

What cooling set up did you have prior to the new rads? Are you sure you removed the plastic cover from the CPU block? (seen it done lol) Is the the same block?

What items have you replaced and what are they/were they? What fans are you using? How are they fitted (push or pull?).

Ryzen Ram Guide

Have you tried delidding?

Makes no sense to spend all that money on cooling but not delid it. Literally, all that heat is stuck inside the IHS barely being transferred over with the crappy TIM Intel uses.

Mid-range Emulation Gaming and Video Rendering PC

[CPU] i7 4790k 4.7GHz & 1.233v Delidded w/ CLU & vice method [Cooling] Corsair H100i [Mobo] Asus Z97-A [GPU] MSI GTX 1070 SeaHawk X[RAM] G.Skill TridentX 2400 9-11-11-30 CR1 [PSU] Corsair 750M 

>i3

No way the Intel stock cooler keeps 2 3.5Ghz Hyper Threaded cores at 30C under load in a poorly ventilated case.

Makes no sense to spend all that money on cooling but not delid it. Literally, all that heat is stuck inside the IHS barely being transferred over with the crappy TIM Intel uses.

Its a 4790k theres no need to delid.

Id hazard a guess and say there is trapped air/bad mounting

this is literally the worst advice ever.

delidding only makes a notable difference when overclocking on more extreme scales than this. and its best left to the pro's, rather than telling everyone and their mom to delid to OC 500MHz

EDIT: actually, if you're advocating delidding as a must, you probably have some before & after numbers to back it up.

Lol he don't need to delid, my 4790k is sat at 31C at the moment at idle granted, however ive never seen it above 60C even when stress testing at 4.9Ghz

Ryzen Ram Guide

I upgraded my pc (put two 360 rads) and my temps would max out at 60c (overclocked to 4.5) when running stress test with the old set up. I start it up and went into bios and seen it was hitting 60 degrees so i down clocked it to 3.5ghz and it is still hitting 62c at IDLE!! I also upgraded the fans and it is moving twice as much air as before. The water block is firmly attached. Any ideas?

This makes no sense. You have more surface area to dissipate heat in the loop from the CPU. I'd say that you should double check the thermal compound between the block and CPU.

Your temps should go down, not up. 

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

I

Can you give me a little more detail please?

What cooling set up did you have prior to the new rads? Are you sure you removed the plastic cover from the CPU block? (seen it done lol) Is the the same block?

What items have you replaced and what are they/were they? What fans are you using? How are they fitted (push or pull?).

It is the same CPU block and yes the plastic is removed lol. I had a 360 and a 240 rad in there with generic fans. I upgraded to two slim 360 rads with corsair sp fans running 100%. The fans are pulling air threw the rads. I am going to pull the cpu block off and check thermal compound and see if there is a issue there. I am sure it isnt running as hot as it says tho, before when i ran 60c and i put my hand near the rads the air being pushed threw them was pretty warm and now it is extremely cool. Is there any way the software\sensors on my board are bad? 

I

It is the same CPU block and yes the plastic is removed lol. I had a 360 and a 240 rad in there with generic fans. I upgraded to two slim 360 rads with corsair sp fans running 100%. The fans are pulling air threw the rads. I am going to pull the cpu block off and check thermal compound and see if there is a issue there. I am sure it isnt running as hot as it says tho, before when i ran 60c and i put my hand near the rads the air being pushed threw them was pretty warm and now it is extremely cool. Is there any way the software\sensors on my board are bad? 

If they were working before then why would changing the rads break them?

There is an issue with your loop somewhere. I'd strongly suggest you drain it and remove all the tubing from the loop, double check everything is going where it should and that all the tubing is clear. You've probably wired up the loop wrongly somewhere, maybe the join from the block to the rad or the rad to the second rad. Its possible you've joined the wrong end of the tubing up to the wrong part of the loop effectively skipping your rad or rads entirely. You can check this by examining the tubing going into your rad and out of your rad to see if it actually has water flowing through it. Yes I know it sounds really dumb but its very easily done with a complicated loop, especially if there is tubing already in place and your adding new parts to the loop.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

If they were working before then why would changing the rads break them?

There is an issue with your loop somewhere. I'd strongly suggest you drain it and remove all the tubing from the loop, double check everything is going where it should and that all the tubing is clear. You've probably wired up the loop wrongly somewhere, maybe the join from the block to the rad or the rad to the second rad. Its possible you've joined the wrong end of the tubing up to the wrong part of the loop effectively skipping your rad or rads entirely. You can check this by examining the tubing going into your rad and out of your rad to see if it actually has water flowing through it. Yes I know it sounds really dumb but its very easily done with a complicated loop, especially if there is tubing already in place and your adding new parts to the loop.

I changed because i wanted the two matching rads and they are thinner than the older ones and it was getting a little too hot for my liking. My old setup ran at 40c at 100% load. Thats not the problem and everything is getting good flow. My R9 295x2 that is in the same loop is running at 32c. As we all know that card puts off a lot of heat. The order of the loop is pump to rad to cpu to rad to gpu the res.  

well if the gpu is in the same loop as cpu and it's running cool, I would suggest its a bad sensor. Try clearing the CMOS and trying again. If that doesnt work, reflash the bios and report findings

Ryzen Ram Guide