Windows 8.1 Pro => Windows 10 Pro: the key changed

Tarzan

Hello,

I upgraded my Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro on July the 29th. I did the same day a clean install. At first it wouldn't activate my Windows 10 even if I had read that I hadn't to do anything, just logging intot my MS account will validate Windows. After desinstalling the key and from my MS account, and then logging in into the store through my account, it worked.

Anyway, I wanted to find the key of my W10 version to avoid any issue if I do a new clean install in the future. I followed this post to find the key of my W10. And it's not the same as the key of my W8.1 I bought! So, can I forget the previous key (8.1) and only keep the new one after upgrade (10)? I have read many times on this forum that the key would not change, but the key DOES change...

Thanks,

Tarzan.

Everyone has that same key, for future reinstalls the key doesn't matter. It's all tied to your motherboard/MS account.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Yes it's a new key, your old W8.1 key should be invalidated now. You shouldn't be able to use the W8.1 key anymore.