How Fast Is USB 3.0 Really? Not Sure If Working

BigDay

i'm not sure if my usb 3.0 ports are working properly. i'm pretty sure i installed the drivers on them.

right now, i'm trying to transfer 21gb from my hdd to my external hdd. the transfer speed is 17.0mb per second. is this usb 3.0 speed or 2.0?

my external is the wd mypassport 1tb; it says it's usb 3.0 compatible.

what dah fux is going on here?

thanks

BigDay

i'm not sure if my usb 3.0 ports are working properly. i'm pretty sure i installed the drivers on them.

right now, i'm trying to transfer 21gb from my hdd to my external hdd. the transfer speed is 17.0mb per second. is this usb 3.0 speed or 2.0?

my external is the wd mypassport 1tb; it says it's usb 3.0 compatible.

what dah fux is going on here?

thanks

That is pretty fast.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

That is pretty fast.

off the top of my head thats USB2.0 tho.

is it connected to an USB3.0 port on your computer, using an USB3.0 cable?

off the top of my head thats USB2.0 tho.

is it connected to an USB3.0 port on your computer, using an USB3.0 cable?

my external hdd is connected to a usb 3.0 port on the motherboard directly, but here's the thing, i'm not sure if the cable connecting the two is a usb 3.0 cable. you would think that it would come with one. i have no idea...

this whole thing seems very slow to me

BigDay

Thats HDD speed?

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

SSD to Seagate 3tb Expansion Usb 3.0
17MB/s is USB 2.0
Captura%20de%20tela%202015-07-29%2018.58

Don't expect speeds that USB can achieve. It's mostly up to device.

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB

my external hdd is connected to a usb 3.0 port on the motherboard directly, but here's the thing, i'm not sure if the cable connecting the two is a usb 3.0 cable. you would think that it would come with one. i have no idea...

this whole thing seems very slow to me

if the cable is using the full width of the connector on the drive its an USB 3.0 cable.

~snip~

Hey BigDay,

The WD My Passport does come with a USB3.0 cable and should work with USB3.0 speeds. 
I would make sure the proper drivers are installed, the actual port is a USB3.0 port and that this speed is the same when transferring one large file and many smaller ones. 
I'd also try all the ports of the computer to rule out a faulty port. 
Speed depends on many things including the number and size of the files that you are transferring. Try putting a smaller file on the drive and see how that goes. Try with a larger single file. If you are transferring many small files it's completely normal for the speed to be lower. 

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Hey BigDay,

The WD My Passport does come with a USB3.0 cable and should work with USB3.0 speeds. 
I would make sure the proper drivers are installed, the actual port is a USB3.0 port and that this speed is the same when transferring one large file and many smaller ones. 
I'd also try all the ports of the computer to rule out a faulty port. 
Speed depends on many things including the number and size of the files that you are transferring. Try putting a smaller file on the drive and see how that goes. Try with a larger single file. If you are transferring many small files it's completely normal for the speed to be lower. 

Captain_WD.

Thanks for the reply bro

Do the speeds I refer to in my op reflect usb 3.0 speeds?

BigDay