X99a and Quad Channel Memory

It will work fine, youre buying 2x 4x4 kits? Why not just 1x 4x8 kit?

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Buying 2X4 = 8 modules

Buying 1X8 = 8 modules

It would be exactly the same

Zeus: Dual Xeon E5-2695v3 | 128GB DDR4 ECC | Asus Z10PE-D16 WS | 2-way SLI EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 | Corsair AX1200i | Fractal Design Define XL R2 | Das KB & Razor Chroma mouse

Yoda: HP DL380p Gen8 | Dual Xeon E5-2697v2 | 256GB DDR3 ECC | Dual Nvidia Tesla K40c | Dual 1200w PSU | 3X 146GB 15K SAS 2.5" HDD | CentOS 7 | Headless

Either cheaper to buy or buying one lot then another later on. Which is what i plan on doing.

Professional Graphics Designer | Case: NZXT Phantom Orange and Black | Motherboard: MSI SLI PLUS X99S

CPU: Intel i7 5820K | Graphics Card: Zotac nVidia 1080 AMP!

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4 2400Mhz | Storage: Samsung 850 PRO 256GB, Western Digital Black 3TB & Western Digital Red 3TB | 

Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HU 27", Acer Predator XB270HAbprz 27" and BenQ GL240 24" | PSU: Corsair AX860i |

Why do you need 32GB of memory?

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

Buying 2X4 = 8 modules
Buying 1X8 = 8 modules

It would be exactly the same

No i am buying 4x8gb.... (4 sticks in total)

My motherboard supports 8 sticks of RAM.....

I was watching Linus's video on RAM channels and he was saying that if you do not buy the amount you want in a kit they will not be able to "cooperate" correctly....

example... buying a 2x4gb kit and buying another 2x4gb kit (4 sticks total) they wont work together efficiently because they are not setup to work with more then the amount of sticks in the kit...

I was going to buy TWO 4 sticks at 8gb each.... one set has four sticks the other set has four sticks.... Will the two kits be able to work together even thought they are not bought in a 8x8gb (8 total in one kit))

Why do you need 32GB of memory?

Why not :P?

Either cheaper to buy or buying one lot then another later on. Which is what i plan on doing.

Yeah was seeing that it is cheaper to buy it all in one kit, but DDR4 is expensive atm and dont have the budget for that whilst trying to buy the rest of my parts...

Why not :P?

It depends on your budget and what you're using it for, but it's just a waste of money that could be used on a better GPU/SDD etc.

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

I was watching Linus's video on RAM channels and he was saying that if you do not buy the amount you want in a kit they will not be able to "cooperate" correctly....

That's complete garbage. So long as the memory type, speed, and amount are the same and you're filling all your channels there is absolutely no difference. 

Zeus: Dual Xeon E5-2695v3 | 128GB DDR4 ECC | Asus Z10PE-D16 WS | 2-way SLI EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 | Corsair AX1200i | Fractal Design Define XL R2 | Das KB & Razor Chroma mouse

Yoda: HP DL380p Gen8 | Dual Xeon E5-2697v2 | 256GB DDR3 ECC | Dual Nvidia Tesla K40c | Dual 1200w PSU | 3X 146GB 15K SAS 2.5" HDD | CentOS 7 | Headless

Yeah was seeing that it is cheaper to buy it all in one kit, but DDR4 is expensive atm and dont have the budget for that whilst trying to buy the rest of my parts...

I got mine on a really big deal. £80 from £320. Now it's £160 on Amazon. It's coming down. If you want to wait then you can but the longer you wait then the longer you wait.

Professional Graphics Designer | Case: NZXT Phantom Orange and Black | Motherboard: MSI SLI PLUS X99S

CPU: Intel i7 5820K | Graphics Card: Zotac nVidia 1080 AMP!

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4 2400Mhz | Storage: Samsung 850 PRO 256GB, Western Digital Black 3TB & Western Digital Red 3TB | 

Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HU 27", Acer Predator XB270HAbprz 27" and BenQ GL240 24" | PSU: Corsair AX860i |

That's complete garbage. So long as the memory type, speed, and amount are the same and you're filling all your channels there is absolutely no difference. 

Actually what linus was saying was you can have stability issues, especially if you plan on overclocking your ram. If you plan on going past 2133, then you're overclocking your ram.

There are things you can do to limit this. Buy the another copy of the same ram kit when you upgrade, failing this at least make sure the speed, and CAS timings are the same. If and only if you plan on pushing your RAM past the ragged edge I would advise replacing your current ram with a matched 8 dimm set, as they have been binned to work properly together. If you're not pushing the ram to far, then you're fine with slightly mismatched dimms.

Actually what linus was saying was you can have stability issues, especially if you plan on overclocking your ram. If you plan on going past 2133, then you're overclocking your ram.

There are things you can do to limit this. Buy the another copy of the same ram kit when you upgrade, failing this at least make sure the speed, and CAS timings are the same. If and only if you plan on pushing your RAM past the ragged edge I would advise replacing your current ram with a matched 8 dimm set, as they have been binned to work properly together. If you're not pushing the ram to far, then you're fine with slightly mismatched dimms.

I have yet seen - and please correct me if you know - of any actual testing that shows there is any difference in kit performance (including stability) when type, speed and CAS are the same with the same manufacturer. 

I have yet seen - and please correct me if you know - of any actual testing that shows there is any difference in kit performance (including stability) when type, speed and CAS are the same with the same manufacturer. 

Actually I haven't seen any recent ones either. All the cases I've heard of were anecdotal dating back to DDR2, and previous. Basically the people who were pushing back then weren't getting the same performance. I suspect with modern production tolerances that the differences would be minimal.

ehhh whut? :huh:

Haha. I thought he wanted 64GB not 32GB so I shorthanded it meaning

2X4X8 = 64GB = 8 sticks (2 kits)

1X8X8 = 64GB = 8 sticks (1 kit)

Haha. I thought he wanted 64GB not 32GB so I shorthanded it meaning

2X4X8 = 64GB = 8 sticks (2 kits)

1X8X8 = 64GB = 8 sticks (1 kit)

ah allrighty that makes sense :D