Need help choosing a controller

Elapo

Hey everybody!

So I have a couple of games that unfortunately don't play that well on KB/M so I'm in the market for a controller. Now, I'm finding it difficult to get some decent opinions on what the positive and negative things about each controller, as each "vs" thread/video/article is either written by fanboys of one side or tries to stay neutral. That's why I'm looking for some opinions.

I've got the following choices:

- Dualshock 4 (Which apparently requires some non-official software, not sure if that'll even work well)

- Xbox One Controller

- Logitech F710

I can honestly say that I have only ever touched a Wiimote, an Xbox360 controller and a dualshock 2, so I'm pretty lost when it comes to making the choice.

I'm personally leaning towards the Xbox controller, because I rather like it, but I haven't used the rest so any input is welcome!

"It's a taxi, it has a FARE METER."

well ps4 controller is supported by a software which i use and the software is quite nice so its more like looks and size (BECAUSE SIZE MATTERS:p)

On 11/19/2014 at 2:14 PM, Syntaxvgm said:
You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

Xbox 360 controller works well from experience, and is super easy to install. If you're lucky enough to have friends who have moved on from their 360s, you can just take em from them (that's what I did, and now I have 2 :) )

But yeh, it's the only one I have experience on for playing on the PC.

Have you taken a look at the Xbox Elite Controller? It was announced at E3 and is coming out in October. Its a bit more expensive than all other controllers but its going to be compatible with windows 10 and its customizable.

Don't forget to Like the things you like!

well ps4 controller is supported by a software which i use and the software is quite nice so its more like looks and size (BECAUSE SIZE MATTERS:p)

also i use a ps3 controller myself it is very nice but sweaty after long use, personly if i had to choose my next upgrade i would go for a ps4 controller because its big and i have big hands

On 11/19/2014 at 2:14 PM, Syntaxvgm said:
You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

The Xbox One controller or the Lotgitech F710 have the best experience across all titles. I would recommend the Xbox One, but the F710 is a good second choice that costs a bit less and has a layout similar to a Playstation controller if you like that 

Playstation controllers require extra effort to set them up and may not work properly in all games

Have you taken a look at the Xbox Elite Controller? It was announced at E3 and is coming out in October. Its a bit more expensive than all other controllers but its going to be compatible with windows 10 and its customizable.

I read all Xbox one controllers were going to be compatible with windows 10 (and are with Win7, but only wired)

Also, it's €159, a bit more than what I'm willing to spend, especially since the other controllers are all around €50 :P

Xbox 360 controller works well from experience, and is super easy to install. If you're lucky enough to have friends who have moved on from their 360s, you can just take em from them (that's what I did, and now I have 2 :) )

But yeh, it's the only one I have experience on for playing on the PC.

I don't have any console-playing friends I'm afraid : <. If I had I'd go there to try the controllers out, would've been easier to choose :P

What software do you use? The only ones I could find for using a DS4 were all third party, which I find rather risky, especially since I'm upgrading to Win10, and I don't want it to break.

I don't like the third party software for the PS controllers. Some of them hide even after uninstalling. Had to do some deep digging to get rid of it on my pc.

I stick to the wireless 360 and love it. No problems at all and works with most games.

Just my 2 cents.

Also the xbox one controller now has a usb adapter that will allow it to work wirelessly.

“Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes. working jobs we hate, so we can buy shit we dont need.”- Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

"Oh, beauty is a beguiling call to death and I'm addicted to the sweet pitch of its siren."- Johnny Quid

"Without our imaginations, we'd be like all those other poor... dullards."- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Go with a 360 controller. I had a 360 controller but over time it wore out so I decided to go with an xbone controller and I've had nothing but problems even after manually installing drivers. It randomly disconnects or won't connect at all and sometimes the games don't pick up that I'm using a controller. The 360 controller is plug and play. It works every time without an issue.

I don't like the third party software for the PS controllers. Some of them hide even after uninstalling. Had to do some deep digging to get rid of it on my pc.

I stick to the wireless 360 and love it. No problems at all and works with most games.

Just my 2 cents.

Also the xbox one controller now has a usb adapter that will allow it to work wirelessly.

So that's what I was afraid of. I don't really mind having to fiddle with drivers if It's not the device's primary function, but I'd like stuff to work and keep on working if I buy it for that specific purpose.

Any real big differences between the Xbox 360 and Xbox one controller I should be aware of? For some reason the Xbox one controller is slightly cheaper where I'm buying.

Wait for the New XBone controller maybe? Will be legit.

KILLING IS HIS BUSINESS...

AND BUSINESS

IS GOOD!

Wait for the New XBone controller maybe? Will be legit.

Do you mean the Elite controller? Because I'm not sure it's worth the additional €100

So that's what I was afraid of. I don't really mind having to fiddle with drivers if It's not the device's primary function, but I'd like stuff to work and keep on working if I buy it for that specific purpose.

Any real big differences between the Xbox 360 and Xbox one controller I should be aware of? For some reason the Xbox one controller is slightly cheaper where I'm buying.

Right. Functionality out of the box without having to troubleshoot is ideal when purchasing a controller, and on that part I think the xbox controller definitely takes the cake.

No BIG differences other than they have a different feel in the hands, but not enough to warrant one over the other.

I prefer the 360 controller only because I spent a lot of time on the 360 as a teenager and it simply feels most comfortable to me.

However when I use the xbox one controller it is just fine. I say if it is cheaper it is best to go with that.

edit: In my opinion the xbox one controller is more aesthetically pleasing as well. My opinion...looks are subjective.

“Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes. working jobs we hate, so we can buy shit we dont need.”- Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

"Oh, beauty is a beguiling call to death and I'm addicted to the sweet pitch of its siren."- Johnny Quid

"Without our imaginations, we'd be like all those other poor... dullards."- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Do you mean the Elite controller? Because I'm not sure it's worth the additional €100

Ya, and you might be right there, but I know the original XBone controller works quite well windows ATM, and probably better with 10, yet to try that out.

KILLING IS HIS BUSINESS...

AND BUSINESS

IS GOOD!

Right. Functionality out of the box without having to troubleshoot is ideal when purchasing a controller, and on that part I think the xbox controller definitely takes the cake.

No BIG differences other than they have a different feel in the hands, but not enough to warrant one over the other.

I prefer the 360 controller only because I spent a lot of time on the 360 as a teenager and it simply feels most comfortable to me.

However when I use the xbox one controller it is just fine. I say if it is cheaper it is best to go with that.

edit: In my opinion the xbox one controller is more aesthetically pleasing as well. My opinion...looks are subjective.

I like the Xbone controller a bit more in terms of looks too, and if the differences are minor I think I'm going for the Xbone controller!

Thanks to everyone for the info!