Windows 8 vs Windows 7 Pro

Vek1313
Go to solution Solved by STRMfrmXMN,

Well, windows 7 is alot more sluggish even on an SSD. On my system, windows 8.1 pro ran alot snappier than windows 7 did. I thought my windows installation was corrupted or something, but all windows 7 machines I've tried after that are just as sluggish compared to 8.1. But as of today it won't matter since windows 10 is coming soon.

I think you should check your installation. I see literally no difference on either one. Specs are on my profile page. They're nothing pathetic and are quite average. Literally no difference. I did happen to notice a difference when I was using both OSs on my old Core 2 Quad system with a HDD but, if you had a skin to make both OSs look the same on my current hardware I honestly couldn't tell a difference.

How would I download the start button? Sorry noobish with OS, and does it have the ability to be in desktop mode like 8.1 or no?

Ok thanks, I forgot about Windows 10...So if I use Windows 7 Pro, is it a Pro version of Windows 10 or is it Windows 10 only no pro or whatever?

You can download Classic Shell here. http://www.classicshell.net/ That creates a nice start button for ya :)

And if you use Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate you get Windows 10 Pro for free in the upgrade. Anything less means you get the standard version.

So which one is better? I heard about a lot of bugs with 8, but that it is a bit faster. I have both at home and didn't know what is a better choice. I am used to Windows 7 but can adapt pretty easy to Windows 8. Also is Windows 8 able like 8.1 to have the desktop look or is it just 8.1 for that?

Windows 8 is way better, download a start button and you won't miss Windows 7 at all :)

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

So which one is better? I heard about a lot of bugs with 8, but that it is a bit faster. I have both at home and didn't know what is a better choice. I am used to Windows 7 but can adapt pretty easy to Windows 8. Also is Windows 8 able like 8.1 to have the desktop look or is it just 8.1 for that?

Doesn't matter as you'll be using it for a month and then getting Windows 10 for free. Windows 7 Pro should have a higher max RAM allotment while standard Windows 8.1 has a max of 16GB (unless they removed that without me noticing) while I believe the Pro version has a 64GB limit (or maybe 32, don't quote me on that) and also access to group policy if that's important to you. Honestly, check your system's components to make sure that everything works well with Windows 8 and, if it's cheaper go ahead and buy it.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Windows 8 is way better, download a start button and you won't miss Windows 7 at all :)

Eh, I use 7 because my motherboard hates Windows 8.1 and because I like the aeroglass with blur of Windows 7. My opinion of course. I don't see a speed difference though being on an SSD, just wish I could get that super nice task manager back from Windows 8 :/

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

How would I download the start button? Sorry noobish with OS, and does it have the ability to be in desktop mode like 8.1 or no?

Doesn't matter as you'll be using it for a month and then getting Windows 10 for free. Windows 7 Pro should have a higher max RAM allotment while standard Windows 8.1 has a max of 16GB (unless they removed that without me noticing) while I believe the Pro version has a 64GB limit (or maybe 32, don't quote me on that) and also access to group policy if that's important to you. Honestly, check your system's components to make sure that everything works well with Windows 8 and, if it's cheaper go ahead and buy it.

Ok thanks, I forgot about Windows 10...So if I use Windows 7 Pro, is it a Pro version of Windows 10 or is it Windows 10 only no pro or whatever?

Eh, I use 7 because my motherboard hates Windows 8.1 and because I like the aeroglass with blur of Windows 7. My opinion of course. I don't see a speed difference though being on an SSD, just wish I could get that super nice task manager back from Windows 8 :/

Well, windows 7 is alot more sluggish even on an SSD. On my system, windows 8.1 pro ran alot snappier than windows 7 did. I thought my windows installation was corrupted or something, but all windows 7 machines I've tried after that are just as sluggish compared to 8.1. But as of today it won't matter since windows 10 is coming soon.

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

If I loaded it on after the release date of Windows 10 do I still get a free download of Windows 10? If so I am assuming just go to the Microsoft website to find the download?

Done just 4 months ago, timewise,...its not that far away its not relevant.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I think you should check your installation. I see literally no difference on either one. Specs are on my profile page. They're nothing pathetic and are quite average. Literally no difference. I did happen to notice a difference when I was using both OSs on my old Core 2 Quad system with a HDD but, if you had a skin to make both OSs look the same on my current hardware I honestly couldn't tell a difference.

You can download Classic Shell here. http://www.classicshell.net/ That creates a nice start button for ya :)

And if you use Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate you get Windows 10 Pro for free in the upgrade. Anything less means you get the standard version.

If I loaded it on after the release date of Windows 10 do I still get a free download of Windows 10? If so I am assuming just go to the Microsoft website to find the download?

For a whole year you should. Update comes through windows update.

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

yea, you just go to the website and install it like any other program. I personally use Start Menu X

509305ca53f3b47f2f28f4ab17fac26b.png

BUT, most people prefer Classic Shell as it looks more like the windows 7 button. Here's the website :) http://www.classicshell.net/

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Nah, the difference is there. I could easily tell the difference between the two OSes. Windows 8.1 is alot snappier. I reinstalled multiple times with different mediums.

Nah, the difference is there. I could easily tell the difference between the two OSes. Windows 8.1 is alot snappier. I reinstalled multiple times with different mediums.

Pretty sure you have weaker hardware than I. There really isn't a huge difference. What is Windows 8 snappier doing? On an SSD, nothing.

Windows 8 is quite hard to get used to because of the Charms bar. You can, of course, download Start8/Classic Shell.

(500TH POST HYPUUUUUUUUUUU)

Blue Jay

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k (OC'd 4.4GHz) Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1x8GB) SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black/Blue PSU: Corsair CX430M

Other Stuff

Monitor: Acer H236HL BID Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Keyboard: I don't even know Mouse Pad: SteelSeries QcK Headset: Turtle Beach X12

GitHub

Ok thanks, I think I want that pro version B)

Windows 8 is quite hard to get used to because of the Charms bar. You can, of course, download Start8/Classic Shell.

(500TH POST HYPUUUUUUUUUUU)

DON'T BE AFRAID TO CHANGE YOUR MEMBER TITLE YO 

Pretty sure you have weaker hardware than I. There really isn't a huge difference. What is Windows 8 snappier doing? On an SSD, nothing.

Weaker hardware? With a 3960x and a 840 pro? It's a huge difference. Windows 8 is snappier at everything, opening windows, animations in general, etc. Even closing a window is snappier on 8.1

Weaker hardware? With a 3960x and a 840 pro? It's a huge difference. Windows 8 is snappier at everything, opening windows, animations in general, etc. Even closing a window is snappier on 8.1

Well if you can show me numbers that prove it's a world of difference faster then be my guest. However I cannot tell the difference on modern hardware and many things still have better compatibility with Windows 7 (ahem, Gigabyte's sh*tty software). 

Well if you can show me numbers that prove it's a world of difference faster then be my guest. However I cannot tell the difference on modern hardware and many things still have better compatibility with Windows 7 (ahem, Gigabyte's sh*tty software). 

It's on modern hardware that the difference is so noticeable. Windows 7 is noticeably sluggish. I should note I'm using a 144hz monitor. 60hz is a blurry pile of shit, you can't see anything smooth on it.

It's on modern hardware that the difference is so noticeable. Windows 7 is noticeably sluggish. I should note I'm using a 144hz monitor. 60hz is a blurry pile of shit, you can't see anything smooth on it.

I use a 75Hz TN panel and can tell a small difference between it and my 60Hz panel next to it. I don't see Windows looking slow on it with their lower refresh rate. Then again, I get motion sickness on anything higher than what my 75Hz can go to so maybe I'm not as sensitive to animations like this and such.

I use a 75Hz TN panel and can tell a small difference between it and my 60Hz panel next to it. I don't see Windows looking slow on it with their lower refresh rate. Then again, I get motion sickness on anything higher than what my 75Hz can go to so maybe I'm not as sensitive to animations like this and such.

I'm super sensitive to stutters. It may be because my eyes are used to fast movements, 60hz, and even 75hz, gives me cancer when playing games. That's also one reason I can't play on console even if I want to, it's to stuttery for me. Windows 7's animations have stutters, it's not as snappy as windows 8, i might be a rare case of being over-sensitive, but windows 8 is snappier non the less.

This also applies to smartphones, I don't understand how people can keep using a LG G3 or note 3, the stuttering on those devices are cancerous.

I'm super sensitive to stutters. It may be because my eyes are used to fast movements, 60hz, and even 75hz, gives me cancer when playing games. That's also one reason I can't play on console even if I want to, it's to stuttery for me. Windows 7's animations have stutters, it's not as snappy as windows 8, i might be a rare case of being over-sensitive, but windows 8 is snappier non the less.

This also applies to smartphones, I don't understand how people can keep using a LG G3 or note 3, the stuttering on those devices are cancerous.

I be rollin with my Note1 Bro... don't hate.. :)

/I hate stutters too, and while my phone annoys me, I'm only on my phone an hour or two a week at most.

PC however, fuck stutters, completely agree its so bad and distracting.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I do believe Windows 8's theme is less visually heavy making it very light in terms of RAM usage. It would probably physically move at a higher framerate, though that doesn't make it "faster"