Too many wifi devices?

velvet_man

Sorry for the noob question, but this is the first time I've run into this issue, and networking was never my thing. I'm staying at the in-law's place, and between them, my wife and I, and our kids (who love to stream Netflix), we have about 10 devices using the wifi at any given time. The problem is, the wifi router can't seem to support that many devices because it's constantly dropping connections. I saw something about using a dual band router for better performance with multiple devices, so I'm wondering if that's the problem. The router they have here is a D-Link DIR-615, which apparently isn't dual band. 

I did some reading, and I came across something about setting up static IPs for each device. I did that, and it improved the situation considerably but not entirely. I still can't connect at all on my phone (the last static IP I set up, so perhaps lowest in priority?), and my laptop will connect and drop its connection about half a dozen times when I first log in in the morning and then it'll be rock solid the rest of the day. 

On it's own, the internet connection is fairly fast and reliable high-speed broadband (though not fiber). Other times we've been here (before the in-laws and our kids started using smartphones and tablets) we had no problems with wifi speed or connectivity, which leads me to believe it has to be something to do with the high number of devices connected right now. I checked wifi analyzer, and there's no conflict with other wifi routers in the area, so I don't think that's an issue here.

Also relevant is that the router is placed centrally in the house, and it's a very open house with few walls and all one level. In case it matters, though I doubt it, the devices range from a desktop PC, several laptops (running a range of Windows, OS X, and Linux), Android phones and tables, and an iPhone and iPad. Connections issues are the same across all devices with the exception of my phone (Nexus 5, Android 5.1.1) having worse connectivity after setting up a static IP.

If the problem is the router, what would be a good replacement without breaking the bank?

snip

The only real solution I would do is turn off any devices not in use. And or have most of the connections wired and the rest wireless. Not sure why you have several devices on a router.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

consumer grade routers are just dont handle a lot of clients very well. I would look at a "midrange" dual band router($80-150), just find one with good reviews. future proofing a little upgrading to a ac standard router will not hurt either. Then the best way to setup a dual band router is devices mainly used for like web browsing throw onto the 2.4ghz band then devices used for gaming, heavy multimedia streaming, data transfer on 5ghz. 

if you want the best of the best...a asus RT-AC3200

is probabaly the best one the market
however..you don't really really need that
get a asus ac68u and flash the newest asus merlin firmware on it
that should pretty much solve all your problems

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile