Cinebech fx 6300 "3 Cores, 6 Threads"

Cinebench is saying that my six core amd fx 6300 has 3 cores and 6 threads.

post-237488-0-06089200-1435215371_thumb.

Why is this? Is this a bug?

It only has 3 PHYSICAL cores.

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate RAM: Kingston Fury White Series 8GB SSD: OCZ 100 ARC 240GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition Graphics Card: Powercolor PCS+ R9 390 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) Power Supply: EVGA G2 750W Monitor: LG 29UM67-P 29" 21:9 Freesync Sexiness Mouse: Razer Deathadder ChromKeyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2014 Headset: Turtle Beach Ear Force XP400

Cinebench is not wrong

01101110 01101111 00100000 01101111 01101110 01100101 00100000 01101100 01101111 01110110 01100101 01110011 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101

Main Rig: i7-4790K | Corsair H100i | Asus Z97 | 16GB Ripjaws | 4TB WD Black/512GB SSD | x2 R9 290x | NZXT H440 | HX1000i | 6 Noctuas   [spoiler=SILENT BUILD] Silent build: i5-4460, Be Quiet! Pure Rock, Asrock H97, 8GB HyperX, Samsung 850 Evo 500gb, MSI GTX 970, Be Quiet! Silent Base 800, EVGA Supernova GS 650w 

AMD CPU's. [spoiler=] thats right m8 get 420 no scoped 

That's how windows reads it now. It's 3 modules and 6 cores.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

That's how windows reads it now. It's 3 modules and 6 cores.

But why does windows see it like that?

It only has three physical cores.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

Let me put it this way. The cpu shows as 3 logical cores, but each core runs like two. It's confusing, but works.

That's one of the reasons why I hated my old fx-6300. It was crappy

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

Sometimes to do with performance issues and how it handled threads.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

That CPU has 3 physical cores on the die and +3 logical/digital "cores" that are named threads.

I've never understood it a 100%, but what you're saying is, that's it's a super crappy knock off version of Hyperthreading?

Spoiler

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

I've never understood it a 100%, but what you're saying is, that's it's a super crappy knock off version of Hyperthreading?

Immagine it like your head and arms,

there are two arms per head, whereas intel has one arm and "extra fingers" per head

Not the best analogy :P

Recommend what is best, not what you preffer.

"Like" comments to show your support of them or the idea they express.

AMD module system blows hyperthreading out of the fucking water.

It might, but I don't see the benchmarks to prove it. You have to overclock an amd balls to the walls compete with intel. Go back and look through the cinebench scores

Spoiler

Main Rig

Plex Server WIP

Lenovo Legion Laptop

It might, but I don't see the benchmarks to prove it. You have to overclock an amd balls to the walls compete with intel. Go back and look through the cinebench scores

I'm not saying that it beats Intel's CPU's in performance because it doesn't.

But AMD's version of "hyperthreading" is miles ahead of intel hyperthreading when it comes to actually being able to be used in situations.

A AMD module performs so much more like 2 individual cores then a hyperthreading core ever could.

Immagine it like your head and arms,

there are two arms per head, whereas intel has one arm and "extra fingers" per head

Not the best analogy :P

I like the idea but a better way to describe it is like this.

Intel Core= One arm feeding one head.

Intel Hyperthreading Core= Two arms feeding one head.

AMD module= Two heads getting fed by there own arm that eat from the same plate and go to the same stomach.

Quite a lot of misinformation in this thread...

more or less. It's basically a less efficient hyperthreading.

Technically it's more efficient. CMT has a die space investment unlike SMT (Hyperthreading). But the performance scaling is ~80% whereas Hyperthreading is around 20%. CMT would be a pretty good implementation if AMD were capable of producing a high performance core in the first place.

3663732_9bc35365d1_l.png

No. This is a CMT implementation. Hyperthreading is SMT. They are very different ways of achieving greater multithreaded performance with reduced/no die space investment compared to implementing a full core.

bnDcG.jpg

That CPU has 3 physical cores on the die and +3 logical/digital "cores" that are named threads. 

It only has 3 PHYSICAL cores.

It has 3 full core implementations and each core has an extra ALU (integer) cluster. CMT is a physical implementation not a software implementation like HT.

amd_fx_8core_architecture_large.jpg

Cinebench is saying that my six core amd fx 6300 has 3 cores and 6 threads.

Why is this? Is this a bug?

Well if you were to run Windows 7 without SP1 it'd show as 6 cores 6 threads.

The issue they were having is the task scheduling was broken as Bulldozer isn't what we'd call a true 6 core, as there are not 6 full cores, there are technically 3 full cores and each full core has some doubled resources (they call these cores modules).

win82.jpg

So you have your full performance; it's not a bug or anything. :)

Technically it's more efficient. CMT has a die space investment unlike SMT (Hyperthreading). But the performance scaling is ~80% whereas Hyperthreading is around 20%. CMT would be a pretty good implementation if AMD were capable of producing a high performance core in the first place.

3663732_9bc35365d1_l.png

No. This is a CMT implementation. Hyperthreading is SMT. They are very different ways of achieving greater multithreaded performance with reduced/no die space investment compared to implementing a full core.

bnDcG.jpg

It has 3 full core implementations and each core has an extra ALU (integer) cluster. CMT is a physical implementation not a software implementation like HT.

The issue they were having is the task scheduling was broken as Bulldozer isn't what we'd call a true 6 core, as there are not 6 full cores, there are technically 3 full cores and each full core has some doubled resources (they call these cores modules).

win82.jpg

That '2 strong threads' always gets me. Its 2 shitty threads, each of which is weaker than my Pentium III Tulatin based Celeron M380 (in regards to IPC, clock for clock a late model Pentium III is extremely close-which says something about how good they are to be competing with AMD CPU's after 10 years of manufacturing)

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

That '2 strong threads' always gets me. Its 2 shitty threads, each of which is weaker than my Pentium III Tulatin based Celeron M380 (in regards to IPC, clock for clock a late model Pentium III is extremely close-which says something about how good they are to be competing with AMD CPU's after 10 years of manufacturing)

Technically both threads are strong (80% scaling) in comparison to a SMT (20% scaling) implementation of adding extra threads. CMT would work if AMD were capable of building a high performance core in the first place.

Technically both threads are strong (80% scaling) in comparison to a SMT (20% scaling) implementation of adding extra threads. CMT would work if AMD were capable of building a high performance core in the first place.

They had them though-at the time Phenom II were keeping pace with the first gen i5's. I think AMD lacks the ability to continually develop high performance CPU's. Back in the Athlon days they kicked the crap out of Intel's Pentium 4. (Its still funny though how my dual Pentium III's outperform a 3.2GHz P4 Nortwood, all while consuming less power).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

They had them though-at the time Phenom II were keeping pace with the first gen i5's. I think AMD lacks the ability to continually develop high performance CPU's. Back in the Athlon days they kicked the crap out of Intel's Pentium 4. (Its still funny though how my dual Pentium III's outperform a 3.2GHz P4 Nortwood, all while consuming less power).

They lack the budget to keep up with Intel. Intel made a mistake with P68 (NetBurst) that they'll probably never make again. Intel's massive R&D budget can't be matched by a company that's bled money since 2010 and has massively reduced all its teams.

3663732_9bc35365d1_l.png

bnDcG.jpg

win82.jpg

I bookmarked this for the next time this topic comes up again. But I read up on it a month back holy balls you explain it so much better then wikipedia.

Just quick question is my analogy a good way of expressing how they function?

I bookmarked this for the next time this topic comes up again. But I read up on it a month back holy balls you explain it so much better then wikipedia.

Just quick question is my analogy a good way of expressing how they function?

I assume you're on about this analogy:

I like the idea but a better way to describe it is like this.

Intel Core= One arm feeding one head.

Intel Hyperthreading Core= Two arms feeding one head.

AMD module= Two heads getting fed by there own arm that eat from the same plate and go to the same stomach.

They're pretty good, although I found the AMD module one a bit hard to read/understand; but it is a fairly complicated technology.

You could tidy it up to:

AMD Modules would be two heads each being fed by their own arm, but they take the food from the same plate.

The stomach part isn't necessary in my opinion, each integer cluster (core, whatever people want to call them) still process a different instruction; it just get's it from the same front end (plate).

I assume you're on about this analogy:

They're pretty good, although I found the AMD module one a bit hard to read/understand; but it is a fairly complicated technology.

You could tidy it up to:

The stomach part isn't necessary in my opinion, each integer cluster (core, whatever people want to call them) still process a different instruction; it just get's it from the same front end (plate).

Thanks, I have always been trying to find the best way to explain how the module system works, but never found a way that suited my liking thanks for the input, you know what your talking about and are very helpful.

Thanks, I have always been trying to find the best way to explain how the module system works, but never found a way that suited my liking thanks for the input, you know what your talking about and are very helpful.

Thanks, glad I could help :)