So I accidentally ordered 2 500GB SSDs...

Dubesta11

With all of the great deals going on through newegg on the inventory clearence sale on the Samsung 850 EVOs, I decided to pick up one with 4GB of RAM for free. The first time the system tried to charge this to my debit account, I was short a few dollars and it didn't process. I didn't think it would go through, so I left the order alone to be canceled. A few days later, a better deal with the 500GB SSD and this time an 8GB stick of RAM for the same price as the old combo. Great deal, right? So I order it using PayPal credit, since its free to use up to 1000 dollars and no intrest. I check my orders and what, the old order went through? It apparently waited a few days and tried the payment again, and this time I had enough.

TL;DR: I have 2 500GB SSDS, a 4GB stick and an 8GB stick of ram headed my way. 

The idea was to replace the HDD in my new laptop with a 500GB SSD. Should I return the first combo and be left with the 500GB SSD and 8GB of extra RAM, or actually keep both drives and set them up in RAID in my desktop, and use the 250GB SSD I own in my laptop? Confusing, but what should I do :/

The Grey Squirrel

CPU: i7-6700k @ 4.8GHz - CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 - Motherboard: ASUS Z170-E - GPU:  ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL

Case: Inwin 303 - RAM: 4x8GB Corsair LPX Storage: 2x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W

Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired / Bungee Keyboard: Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red Headphone: Sony MDR- 1R

Microphone:  Blue Yeti - Webcam: Logitech C920 - Monitors: 3x Dell S2415H 

Do the RAID and put the small drive in your laptop. Win/win, but your wallet may hurt.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

With all of the great deals going on through newegg on the inventory clearence sale on the Samsung 850 EVOs, I decided to pick up one with 4GB of RAM for free. The first time the system tried to charge this to my debit account, I was short a few dollars and it didn't process. I didn't think it would go through, so I left the order alone to be canceled. A few days later, a better deal with the 500GB SSD and this time an 8GB stick of RAM for the same price as the old combo. Great deal, right? So I order it using PayPal credit, since its free to use up to 1000 dollars and no intrest. I check my orders and what, the old order went through? It apparently waited a few days and tried the payment again, and this time I had enough.

TL;DR: I have 2 500GB SSDS, a 4GB stick and an 8GB stick of ram headed my way. 

The idea was to replace the HDD in my new laptop with a 500GB SSD. Should I return the first combo and be left with the 500GB SSD and 8GB of extra RAM, or actually keep both drives and set them up in RAID in my desktop, and use the 250GB SSD I own in my laptop? Confusing, but what should I do :/

you could try and contact new egg support

EDIT: nevermind

You ordered it.Who cares now just keep em' both and set up some raid

Insert   Dank   Signature   Here.

You could do the either:

1. Install 1 500GB SSD in your laptop and the other in your PC (for extra storage or maybe as a boot drive)
  2. Raid both 500GB in your PC and put your 250GB SSD in your laptop and the included HDD with a cadd

Just a Techie Girl!

Do the RAID and put the small drive in your laptop. Win/win, but your wallet may hurt.

I can definitely afford it, If I kept both drives I wouldn't want to put one in my computer and another in my laptop, since they can be raided.

Id keep both SSDs

Eh, why not.

you could try and contact new egg support

EDIT: nevermind

I am contacting them right now just for the fun of it.

You ordered it.Who cares now just keep em' both and set up some raid

What RAID would you recommend for them? Raid 0 would mean 1TB of SSD storage (lulz), and Raid 1 would be 500GB, but with faster read speed and good protection. These should be some good drives, so would RAID 0 be fine for gaming and storing semi-not-but-kind-of-important files on it? I can use my current 1TB HDD that I will remove as a backup drive.

You could do the either:

1. Install 1 500GB SSD in your laptop and the other in your PC (for extra storage or maybe as a boot drive)
  2. Raid both 500GB in your PC and put your 250GB SSD in your laptop and the included HDD with a cadd

Thats what I am debating on, but I don't think I will ever need 500GB of storage on a non-gaming laptop for college. But installing the 500GB SSD would mean getting rid of my mechanical HDD, which would leave it silent.

The Grey Squirrel

CPU: i7-6700k @ 4.8GHz - CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 - Motherboard: ASUS Z170-E - GPU:  ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL

Case: Inwin 303 - RAM: 4x8GB Corsair LPX Storage: 2x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W

Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired / Bungee Keyboard: Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red Headphone: Sony MDR- 1R

return the first one

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Update: Newegg says to just return it once I get it, but I will hold off and install it on my PC. Now I just need to know how RAID works...

The Grey Squirrel

Keep all of them,

you can NEVER have enough SSD storage :D

Yeah, true. To be honest, the only thing at all in my computer that makes noise is my HDD. It would great to get rid of it and use it in an external dock or hotswap.

The Grey Squirrel

Yeah, true. To be honest, the only thing at all in my computer that makes noise is my HDD. It would great to get rid of it and use it in an external dock or hotswap.

You will just be buying more SSDs down the line anyways so why not? Infidelity better than HDDs.

You will just be buying more SSDs down the line anyways so why not? Infidelity better than HDDs.

Definitely. I an considering tossing one in this laptop since they are very fast and probably better than my Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB SSD, and I can replace my 1TB HDD with a 500GB SSD since it only has 400GB of files on it, and most of them are not necessary to keep on the computer. That way I won't need to worry about RAID and I can still have 750GB of SSD storage.

The Grey Squirrel