Where are the new AMD GPU's?

Columbo

It's a cut down version of the 980. So most of the 980 chips that didn't make the cut were made into a 970 to save money on production.

Cut down or not, previous x70s didn't work this way

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Cut down or not, previous x70s didn't work this way

Because they weren't Maxwell chips. There's some info about all this somewhere, but tl;dr they weren't able to do what they did with the 970 on Kepler and previous chips.

Because they weren't Maxwell chips. There's some info about all this somewhere, but tl;dr they weren't able to do what they did with the 970 on Kepler and previous chips.

So just because they're maxwell chips, the vram has to work this way? The 770 was a 2gb card while the 780 was 3gb

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

So just because they're maxwell chips, the vram has to work this way? The 770 was a 2gb card while the 780 was 3gb

The VRAM working that way is a biproduct of it being a cut down 980 chip; Maxwell makes it possible to make a cut down version like they did to lower costs on production. If they made a specific chip for the 970 name it would cost more I think.

I must have been extremely lucky because i never experienced any stuttering or lag when i had the card.

DL @ 4K almost 4gb vram usage

AS @ 4k using 4gb of vram

The game caching stuff into the VRAM and actually using it are two different things.

It can already bog down frametimes, review sites already noted of this so I don't get the claims of this "not affecting performance at all". In gaming, however, it will rarely affect you at least atm since demanding settings will bog you down regardless, with SLI it can be a different story though.

AMD's current gpu architecture is at least 3 years old.  That's a loooooooong time in the tech world.

It just goes to show you how solid their architecture is and how it still stands competitive today. R9 390X trades blows with GTX 970 and beats GTX 980 outside of FHD. Meanwhile it's the only architecture on the market that is fully DirectX 12 compliant. I'd feel bad for any competitor if AMD ever turns true profit outside of debt.

The VRAM working that way is a biproduct of it being a cut down 980 chip; Maxwell makes it possible to make a cut down version like they did to lower costs on production. If they made a specific chip for the 970 name it would cost more I think.

I see... So a 980 for a little less performance and much lesser price. Shame that the vram has to work this way :B

But that is how cars are advertised...............Ram said my truck was 410hp, when i did a dyno run it was closer to 300hp. Did they give everyone in NA refunds? Nope.

So every truck sold as 410HP had 300HP? What the hell man. That type of shit is unacceptable in Europe, The power they advertise is the power that the car is capable of delivering on the road (dyno). That's why you sometimes see the same car being rated at slightly higher power for the US market with the exact same engine, from what I understand the EU rules are so that they have to turn on everything, including AC, and test that power output. But not like that, where it's 100HP difference...

Sorry, but you're wrong.

I had the card. Other members here had the card. There's nothing wrong with it. Doesn't matter what was advertised; I'm not one to baby about some spec sheet and no one else should. I thought everyone promoted to buy based on benchmarks alone and not specs? Seems that went out the window during this bullshit.

You are a used car salesman's wet dream.

Car salesman said the car had 57,000 miles on it but you notice the odometer shows 90,000. He said it's a v8 but you find a v6 under the hood. No worries, its just minor details.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

You are a used car salesman's wet dream.

Car salesman said the car had 57,000 miles on it but you notice the odometer shows 90,000. He said it's a v8 but you find a v6 under the hood. No worries, its just minor details.

Stop using stupid comparisons. They're not even remotely the same concept.

So every truck sold as 410HP had 300HP? What the hell man. That type of shit is unacceptable in Europe, The power they advertise is the power that the car is capable of delivering on the road (dyno). That's why you sometimes see the same car being rated at slightly higher power for the US market with the exact same engine, from what I understand the EU rules are so that they have to turn on everything, including AC, and test that power output. But not like that, where it's 100HP difference...

Engine HP and wheel HP are two different things. Usually companies post Engine HP which is considerably higher than actual HP a vehicle will lay down to the track.

You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

Engine HP and wheel HP are two different things. Usually companies post Engine HP which is considerably higher than actual HP a vehicle will lay down to the track.

Engine HP can be up to two times higher, depends on the engine. But companies (In EU and outside of it as far as I know) are not allowed to post that HP, they are only allowed to post the HP the car can transfer to the wheels/road and that is actual HP! Methods of testing that HP are equal on all cars sold in that region/continent, as I said, the same model can be branded different HP. For example a Ford Fiesta with a 1.4L TDCI engine is 68/70HP, depends on the region, somewhere it is tested with the AC on and somewhere with the AC off (which is roughly a little less than 1kw on the Fiesta). :)

Engine HP can be up to two times higher, depends on the engine. But companies (In EU and outside of it as far as I know) are not allowed to post that HP, they are only allowed to post the HP the car can transfer to the wheels/road and that is actual HP! Methods of testing that HP are equal on all cars sold in that region/continent, as I said, the same model can be branded different HP. For example a Ford Fiesta with a 1.4L TDCI engine is 68/70HP, depends on the region, somewhere it is tested with the AC on and somewhere with the AC off (which is roughly a little less than 1kw on the Fiesta). :)

In NA they post engine HP unfortunately. I wish they were required to post wheel HP!!

You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

In NA they post engine HP unfortunately. I wish they were required to post wheel HP!!

That's rather sad and unfair. EU laws are strict, but there is almost always a valid reason for that. :)