Steelseries Elite Prism for $60 - Without USB Sound Card. Worth it?

Hello there.

I can get a Steelseries Elite Prism for around $60, but it dosent have the USB soud card or the phone jack stick. Is this deal worth it? I've read that you can use software to get the 7.1 effect from 3.5 mm.

Also, if this is not worth it, can you guys recommend some other headphones (i have a standalone mic) in the $50-$120-ish range?

Thanks in advance :D

The surround sound effect can be achieved through software as well, but the only surround stuff I've heard that actually works fairly well (hardware or software) is called Out Of Your Head, but it's pretty expensive.

Buy a pair of headphones if you like how they sound, not because of some hokey surround DSPs.

Razer surround, which is free is supposed to work rather well. I don't use surround software (other than what's built into my games) because you don't need anything other than the audio processing that the games already put in.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

Thanks, you two, that cleared up a lot :D

Now what about the price compared to the sound quality from 3.5mm? Is the sound good enough for it to be worth it?

Thanks, you two, that cleared up a lot :D

Now what about the price compared to the sound quality from 3.5mm? Is the sound good enough for it to be worth it?

If your motherboard was made in the past few years, it probably sounds better than anything crammed into a USB jack.

If your motherboard was made in the past few years, it probably sounds better than anything crammed into a USB jack.

I have the MSI Z97 G-55 SLi, and while I think it's made recently, i don't know for sure, and the specifications on MSI's page don't say anything about sound quality.

I have the MSI Z97 G-55 SLi, and while I think it's made recently, i don't know for sure, and the specifications on MSI's page don't say anything about sound quality.

Well, even if they do say something about the sound quality, you can bet it's nothing short of 'the best'. After all, every sellers always sell 'the best product'. Nobody sell '#4 best on the market' or something :)