Screen glitching... help?

j.dirona

So my screen does this every now and again, it will start with the brightness levels fading in and out on different parts of the screen, sometimes it will fix itself but often it will then turn black. Logging off and back in tends to fix it but not always. It happened again today but this time it did some really strange things, it did this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IENau55pt6g. Its hard to see in the video but when the black area pulses white the area around it turns cyan for a moment. Also it may be worth noting this never seems to happen when I am doing something graphics intensive.

I'm not sure what the problem is here, my GPU is less than a year old (GTX970 G1) although the monitor is close to 7 years old (which makes me wonder if my monitor is starting to die). On rare occasion I will get an error saying my display driver has stopped working although never at the same time as the screen glitching.

Any idea's on what might be the problem?

Thanks guys

Please use http://pcpartpicker.com/ for everybodones sake!

and quote me if you want me to see a reply please :)

pewpewpewphysicslazers!!!

Make sure the cable is fully plugged in and secured on both ends.

Nothing to do with the cabling, Something is wrong the the panel itself.

So my screen does this every now and again, it will start with the brightness levels fading in and out on different parts of the screen, sometimes it will fix itself but often it will then turn black. Logging off and back in tends to fix it but not always. It happened again today but this time it did some really strange things, it did this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IENau55pt6g. Its hard to see in the video but when the black area pulses white the area around it turns cyan for a moment. Also it may be worth noting this never seems to happen when I am doing something graphics intensive.

I'm not sure what the problem is here, my GPU is less than a year old (GTX970 G1) although the monitor is close to 7 years old (which makes me wonder if my monitor is starting to die). On rare occasion I will get an error saying my display driver has stopped working although never at the same time as the screen glitching.

Any idea's on what might be the problem?

Thanks guys

Its your Monitor. Its dead. Have you dropped it?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Is your gfx card plugged in correctly...

There's always a way...

Make sure the cable is fully plugged in and secured on both ends.

EDIT: Can you operate at the half of the screen you see?

Not the cable, it happens randomly without ever touching it.

Okay thats what I was thinking, no I've never dropped it, it sits on my desk and never moves.

Not the cable, it happens randomly without ever touching it.

Okay thats what I was thinking, no I've never dropped it, it sits on my desk and never moves.

Or it could be your GPU, have you got a spare one? try it out if you do. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

When it happens and you only see the top third of the screen:

Does the rest working properly (mouse moveing, video playing...)?

-If yes, it's the monitor with 95% certainty.

- If not, it could be the monitor or the GPU. But when the GPU freeses you get normaly a message like: "The functionality was restored after unknow error".

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

Or it could be your GPU, have you got a spare one? try it out if you do. 

I don't anymore :/ but I have an old spare monitor laying around. The problem is that this happens maybe once a week normally not even that often, so it's hard to catch and trouble shoot it when it does. That said I don't think it's the GPU since running GPU benchmarks never cause it to glitch out. I would think a heavy load would make it more likely to happen.

I don't anymore :/ but I have an old spare monitor laying around. The problem is that this happens maybe once a week normally not even that often, so it's hard to catch and trouble shoot it when it does. That said I don't think it's the GPU since running GPU benchmarks never cause it to glitch out. I would think a heavy load would make it more likely to happen.

try your other monitor.

if it still persists. gpu is dunzo (hehehe i love that word)

When it happens and you only see the top third of the screen:

Does the rest working properly (mouse moveing, video playing...)?

-If yes, it's the monitor with 95% certainty.

- If not, it could be the monitor or the GPU. But when the GPU freeses you get normaly a message like: "The functionality was restored after unknow error".

Yeah the bottom half of the monitor still works I'm able to shut down from there (if I manage to click the right places). And it never is able to recover when the bottom third goes black, I've had freezes before that resolved themselves and gave a message of 'your display driver stopped working and has recovered' (funnily enough that only happens when playing tf2), but yeah this last time I left it for 15 minutes and it was still doing the same thing.

Yeah the bottom half of the monitor still works I'm able to shut down from there (if I manage to click the right places). And it never is able to recover when the bottom third goes black, I've had freezes before that resolved themselves and gave a message of 'your display driver stopped working and has recovered' (funnily enough that only happens when playing tf2), but yeah this last time I left it for 15 minutes and it was still doing the same thing.

That part of the screen works is (normaly) a indicator that the monitor is fauly.

But if you had GPU driver crashes befor it migth also be the GPU.

I think you have installed the latest drivers, don't you?

I'm sorry I can't give you more advise than than.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

That part of the screen works is (normaly) a indicator that the monitor is fauly.

Yeah i've updated my drivers (actually there was a weird incompatibility so I'm now running a slightly older driver which seems to have stopped the display driver crashes). And okay yeah I figured that was going to be the problem. Good thing I was planing on upgrading anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay so an update,

turning the screen off and back on again isn't having any effect on stopping the glitching (which seems to point to it not being a messed up capacitor), also it is only happening on certain pages, for example with wolfram|alpha it is glitching but if I switch over to the forum it stops and starts again when i go to wolfram.

Is this indicative that it's my GPU instead of my screen?

Okay so an update,

turning the screen off and back on again isn't having any effect on stopping the glitching (which seems to point to it not being a messed up capacitor), also it is only happening on certain pages, for example with wolfram|alpha it is glitching but if I switch over to the forum it stops and starts again when i go to wolfram.

Is this indicative that it's my GPU instead of my screen?

Yes this is a strong indicator it isn't your monitor.

But I'm not sure you GPU is to blame. If it only happens on a few pages it more looks like your browser or the driver it is using gets corrupted. Have you tryed an other browser or can you update your one? By the way, which one are you using?

Yes this is a strong indicator it isn't your monitor.

But I'm not sure you GPU is to blame. If it only happens on a few pages it more looks like your browser or the driver it is using gets corrupted. Have you tryed an other browser or can you update your one? By the way, which one are you using?

I'm using version 353.06 (the latest one). I don't think it's the browser I just did a clean install yesterday (yay for finally getting an SSD). Also it seems to happen randomly on pages like it is happening right now on the forum (oddly enough it seems to glitch slightly every time I type a letter/ move the mouse). I get the same problem happening in firefox, IE, and safari.

Also a little while ago I was getting the glitch and I plugged in another screen. The other screen wasn't having any problems even when this one was. Is it possible it's my cable?

EDIT: never mind that's a dumb idea it shouldn't be the cable causing an issue since it's just off and on

EDIT 2: Okay I tested the cable and that's not a problem (I tested all ports and 3 types of cables). I am currently using my brother's monitor and it isn't having any problems, at least yet. It may be possible that it was a large capacitor that was the problem and I didn't give the monitor enough time to discharge before plugging it back in again (I just disconnected it for a split second).

I'm using version 353.06 (the latest one). I don't think it's the browser I just did a clean install yesterday (yay for finally getting an SSD). Also it seems to happen randomly on pages like it is happening right now on the forum (oddly enough it seems to glitch slightly every time I type a letter/ move the mouse). I get the same problem happening in firefox, IE, and safari.

Also a little while ago I was getting the glitch and I plugged in another screen. The other screen wasn't having any problems even when this one was. Is it possible it's my cable?

EDIT: never mind that's a dumb idea it shouldn't be the cable causing an issue since it's just off and on

EDIT 2: Okay I tested the cable and that's not a problem (I tested all ports and 3 types of cables). I am currently using my brother's monitor and it isn't having any problems, at least yet. It may be possible that it was a large capacitor that was the problem and I didn't give the monitor enough time to discharge before plugging it back in again (I just disconnected it for a split second).

To reset an electronic device, you have to unplug it for 10 seconds.

yeah so I didn't really do that right. I'll let you know next time it happens if unplugging for a while fixes it

Okay unplugging for 10 seconds seems to normally fix the flickering and when it doesn't totally fix it, it will at least greatly reduce it. (the half black screen rarely happens)(unplugging for 15+ seconds always fixes the problem). I've also noticed that when the flickering is very faint it appears to be originating from the upper left corner. It seems like the back light isn't being regulated properly at that point.

Okay unplugging for 10 seconds seems to normally fix the flickering and when it doesn't totally fix it, it will at least greatly reduce it. (the half black screen rarely happens)(unplugging for 15+ seconds always fixes the problem). I've also noticed that when the flickering is very faint it appears to be originating from the upper left corner. It seems like the back light isn't being regulated properly at that point.

Sooo.... it's definitly the monitor after all. But when you know how to fix, it only takes 20 seconds and happens rarely: not to bad.

Sooo.... it's definitly the monitor after all. But when you know how to fix, it only takes 20 seconds and happens rarely: not to bad.

So definitely my screen, and just cause I thought you might be curious. I just came back to my screen from lunch and it was very dark and making a whining sound. Did that for about a 2 minutes (didn't stop after I unplugged it for 10 seconds) and then suddenly the screen got bright again and the whining stopped. Sounds like a faulty resistor or capacitor so I might have my hand at fixing it actually. 

So definitely my screen, and just cause I thought you might be curious. I just came back to my screen from lunch and it was very dark and making a whining sound. Did that for about a 2 minutes (didn't stop after I unplugged it for 10 seconds) and then suddenly the screen got bright again and the whining stopped. Sounds like a faulty resistor or capacitor so I might have my hand at fixing it actually. 

That sounds exactly like the boost up converter for the backligth has problemes to start up. Are you using a monitor that needs a high voltage somewhere?

By the way, what monitor model are you using?

That monitor is just dead man unless you have 10 years warranty or something like that... you can go and trow it away to container park.

That sounds exactly like the boost up converter for the backligth has problemes to start up. Are you using a monitor that needs a high voltage somewhere?

By the way, what monitor model are you using?

Here is the monitor, and yeah maybe that's it (also it now seems to be doing the whining for a few seconds every time I turn the monitor on/wake it up. I'm not sure about it needing a high voltage though.

That monitor is just dead man unless you have 10 years warranty or something like that... you can go and trow it away to container park.

Yeah I know it's about to go but I want it to last me the summer (I was planning on upgrading anyway) so I might as well see if I can tinker it into lasting a touch longer

And now it is officially broken. The screen turns on for about 15 seconds before going black on me. 

And now it is officially broken. The screen turns on for about 15 seconds before going black on me. 

Hmmm ok, than RIP.

Better than throwing away a funcioning monitor. How old was it and from  which brand?