Building New Computer First Timer - Need Help

Hi guys, I am building my first computer and I am a noob to computer parts.  I need this computer specifically for video editing.  I have compiled a list of parts on pcpartpicker.com

Here is my build so far: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Wm27FT

I need a couple more things that I am not sure about.  I also am not sure if the parts I picked will work smoothly together and fit properly in the case.  Can anybody assist me?

Also my budget is around $1200.

Id like to put in a RAID 0 sometime soon and have the ability to upgrade RAM and storage. Will this motherboard support that?

Thanks,

Trooper

Hi guys, I am building my first computer and I am a noob to computer parts.  I need this computer specifically for video editing.  I have compiled a list of parts on pcpartpicker.com

I need a couple more things that I am not sure about.  I also am not sure if the parts I picked will work smoothly together and fit properly in the case.  Can anybody assist me?

Id like to put in a RAID 0 sometime soon and have the ability to upgrade RAM and storage. Will this motherboard support that?

Thanks,

Trooper

are you going to edit videos on this rig?

are you going to edit videos on this rig?

Yes. I use programs including After Effects, Sony Vegas, Cinema 4D, Premiere, etc. So something that helps render times and multiprocessing. 

Thanks,

Trooper 

you should really get a better case and a better power supply

It's a bit unbalanced, I'd spend less on the GPU and get a better PSU.

"Rawr XD"

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YLf9YJ

this motherboard will allow you to go up to 32 GB of RAM and support like 3 more drives

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

Thanks,

Trooper 

you should really get a better case and a better power supply

Do you recommend anything? And what is wrong with what I have now? I dont need anything fancy. Just something with proper compartments for cooling and stuff.

nah stick with the gpu just get a better case and power supply you need more watts id say dont spent any less than a 100 on the power supply

-snip-

Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($91.55 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill AEGIS 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($52.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: PNY Optima 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($89.29 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card  ($339.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: NZXT S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.99 @ Amazon) 
Monitor: Acer H236HLbid 60Hz 23.0" Monitor  ($151.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1269.75
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-24 15:06 EDT-0400

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YLf9YJ

this motherboard will allow you to go up to 32 GB of RAM and support like 3 more drives

Sorry, didnt see the SPU

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/tYb8qs

this one is better, but i believe that PSU is on sale right now

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

does he need a monitor?

Solitaire. 

Do you recommend anything? And what is wrong with what I have now? I dont need anything fancy. Just something with proper compartments for cooling and stuff.

ive the define r5 its a pretty nice case 

This. You have the RAID 0 on the SSD's as a boot drive, decent GPU, enough power, and the best processor for LGA1150

If you want my attention, quote my post or I will not see it. I ignore builds that do not use PCPartPicker.

If I have solved/answered your question, please press "mark solved" to make it easier for the rest of the community find the answer

Whats wrong with the case guys? i mean, he can always add another fan or 2

Solitaire. 

This. You have the RAID 0 on the SSD's as a boot drive, decent GPU, enough power, and the best processor for LGA1150

and 16 GB of RAM for the cherry on top

Solitaire. 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($338.99 @ Amazon) 

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($54.99 @ Newegg) 

Power Supply: Corsair CSM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($79.99 @ Amazon) 

For editing I'd pick the best SSD you could get, prolly a 850 (oh surprise), also 16 GB Ram and some other 970. Not Strix

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Also, right now you can get a 500 GB 850 EVO for 180 USD, and it comes with a FREE 4 GB  stick of Corsair Vengeance RAM

use promo code EXLASNR22

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147373&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=IGNEFL052415&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL052415&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL052415-_-EMC-052415-index-_-InternalSSDs-_-20147373-S0A

Solitaire. 

For editing I'd pick the best SSD you could get, prolly a 850 (oh surprise), also 16 GB Ram and some other 970. Not Strix

Thanks for the help! What is wrong with Strix? Can you recommend another graphics card in that price range?

NZXT S340 is a great case and i wouldnt settle for anything else

MY RIG | AMD FX-8320 | COOLER MASTER HYPER 212 EVO | ASUS M5A97 R2.0 | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT 8GB DDR3-1600MHz | WD CAVIAR BLUE 1TB | ASUS RADEON R9 280 3GB DIRECTCU II | CORSAIR 300R | CORSAIR CX 600W 80+ BRONZE | 1x COOLER MASTER SICKLEFLOW 120mm | WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 64-BIT | DELL S2240M 21.5' 1080p <p> | G602 | G710+ MOBILE| ONEPLUS ONE 64GB RUNNING OXYGENOS  | NEXUS 4 16GB RUNNING LOLLIPOP | NEXUS 7 2013 32GB RUNNING LOLLIPOP

Thanks for the help! What is wrong with Strix? Can you recommend another graphics card in that price range?

Here you go. People are not pleased with it when OC-ing

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/328735-just-how-bad-is-the-asus-gtx-970-strix/

G1 gaming, EVGA or MSI gaming should all be good.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

NZXT S340 is a great case and i wouldnt settle for anything else

I apologize if I sound like a newbie here but does it have room to put more fans? I understand how important proper cooling is and I want to make sure nothing is overheating.  I was thinking about liquid cooling in the future? Also (again I apologize for being naive) where are the front ports for USB, headphones, microphones, disk readers/writers, and the power/reset button?

I apologize if I sound like a newbie here but does it have room to put more fans? I understand how important proper cooling is and I want to make sure nothing is overheating.  I was thinking about liquid cooling in the future? Also (again I apologize for being naive) where are the front ports for USB, headphones, microphones, disk readers/writers, and the power/reset button?

their on the top and I don't think that case has enough room for a good watercooled build. I would get a Fractal Design case.

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2