Better case than the air 540 for aircooling?

Rusty_Shackleford

building a new rig and I'm planning on ordering the Air 540, was wanting to know if there is a better case I should look into before I make my final decision. 

CPU: I7 4790k  CPU Cooler: NH-D15 GPUMSI 970 4gb   Motherboard: z97 Gaming 5 PSU: Corsair hx850   Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8 gb  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo  Case: Air 540

I'd go for the Air540 or one of the CoolerMaster HAF cases if you wanted strictly airflow.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

It depends on your your components.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I'd go for the Air540 or one of the CoolerMaster HAF cases if you wanted strictly airflow.

was considering the haf x but a lot of people were suggesting the 540 instead.

CPU: I7 4790k  CPU Cooler: NH-D15 GPUMSI 970 4gb   Motherboard: z97 Gaming 5 PSU: Corsair hx850   Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8 gb  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo  Case: Air 540

I myself am deciding between the Air540 and the NZXT H440 to upgrade my 750D to, but I tend to go looks > cooling since my chip stays cool.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

Both are pretty good if you are referring to airflow. Personally I'm using the Air 540 now. Used to be H440 Razer Edition but my 2 x 290x gets too hot in it unless I open the side panel. 

Anyway, Where are you from? unless you are from like some hot country (Singapore, etc) then you have to worry. If not, usually if you are running just 1 GPU, any cases should not be an issue. Just choose the 1 you like. :)

Spoiler

[CPU] i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz with NZXT Kraken X61 [MOBO] Asus Z97-AR [Memory] HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3-1600 [Storage] Samsung 840 EVO 500GB & WD 1TB Black & Hitachi 1TB [GPU] Gigabyte GTX 1080 8GB Xtreme Gaming [Case] Corsair Air 540 [PSU] Cooler Master V1000 [Case Fan] Corsair SP140 LED Fan x 3 & SP120 LED Fan x 3 [Display] Main: Philips 31.5" FULL HD IPS | Side: Philips 28" 4K UHD [Keyboard] Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition [Mouse] Razer Ouroboros [Mouse Pad] Razer Firefly [Sound] BOSE Companion 5 Multimedia Speaker System

Both are pretty good if you are referring to airflow. Personally I'm using the Air 540 now. Used to be H440 Razer Edition but my 2 x 290x gets too hot in it unless I open the side panel. 

Anyway, Where are you from? unless you are from like some hot country (Singapore, etc) then you have to worry. If not, usually if you are running just 1 GPU, any cases should not be an issue. Just choose the 1 you like. :)

southern US. Humid as could be. I was also considering getting a trix 290x but I heard they have temp problems.

southern US. Humid as could be. I was also considering getting a trix 290x but I heard they have temp problems.

Well, When I was using the H440, I have to open the side panel if not it will overheat (as in com restart). But after changing to Air 540, I don'e have such issue anymore, at least not yet :(

I usually play DOTA 2 and my temp max is around 71C or so (plus minus 1 or 2 C). When in Cities: Skylines I think the temps are like 75C or so. I have not seen them getting close or above 80C after changing the casing.

Do take note my room doesn't have air conditioning as well as I'm running 1 x 4K monitor and 2 other monitors. So my temp might be slightly higher than the rest. :(

Spoiler

[CPU] i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz with NZXT Kraken X61 [MOBO] Asus Z97-AR [Memory] HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3-1600 [Storage] Samsung 840 EVO 500GB & WD 1TB Black & Hitachi 1TB [GPU] Gigabyte GTX 1080 8GB Xtreme Gaming [Case] Corsair Air 540 [PSU] Cooler Master V1000 [Case Fan] Corsair SP140 LED Fan x 3 & SP120 LED Fan x 3 [Display] Main: Philips 31.5" FULL HD IPS | Side: Philips 28" 4K UHD [Keyboard] Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition [Mouse] Razer Ouroboros [Mouse Pad] Razer Firefly [Sound] BOSE Companion 5 Multimedia Speaker System

Well, When I was using the H440, I have to open the side panel if not it will overheat (as in com restart). But after changing to Air 540, I don'e have such issue anymore, at least not yet :(

I usually play DOTA 2 and my temp max is around 71C or so (plus minus 1 or 2 C). When in Cities: Skylines I think the temps are like 75C or so. I have not seen them getting close or above 80C after changing the casing.

Do take note my room doesn't have air conditioning as well as I'm running 1 x 4K monitor and 2 other monitors. So my temp might be slightly higher than the rest. :(

Is there any problems with connecting SSD's with the sata connections (red wire) I have really bad (real) OCD and I'm worried the wires won't be long enough to reach.

Is there any problems with connecting SSD's with the sata connections (red wire) I have really bad (real) OCD and I'm worried the wires won't be long enough to reach.

You are referring to Air 540 right? Nope no issue at all for mine. But not sure what red wire you are referring to. My sata cable is the ones that comes with my ASUS mobo.

Spoiler

I think the 760T has served me well for air flow. But if you are set on the smaller ATX case design, check out the Fractal Design Define R4. I have heard really good things about that case. I also like the somewhat plain design. I would also check out the Thermaltake A41.

FX-8350@5ghz - 16GB-XMS@1866 - GIGABYTE GTX 980 G1 GAMING - 990FXA-UD7 - H100i - RM850 - 760T

I think the 760T has served me well for air flow. But if you are set on the smaller ATX case design, check out the Fractal Design Define R4. I have heard really good things about that case. I also like the somewhat plain design. I would also check out the Thermaltake A41.

Size is not an issue. I was considering the Cosmos II.

The best aircooling case you can get is the silverstone Fortress 5 or Raven 5. They outperform any other case for air cooling comfortably, thanks to two 180mm AP fans and silverstones 90rotated motherboard system. If you want a larger size, then the fortress 2 is almost identical in performance.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

The best aircooling case you can get is the silverstone Fortress 5 or Raven 5. They outperform any other case for air cooling comfortably, thanks to two 180mm AP fans and silverstones 90o rotated motherboard system. If you want a larger size, then the fortress 2 is almost identical in performance.

Yeah this.

Was going to say this.

FT04 is also fine for bigger, if you don't have allot of hard drives. (If more than two, you must use HD cage, which blocks CPU airflow ALOT)

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

building a new rig and I'm planning on ordering the Air 540, was wanting to know if there is a better case I should look into before I make my final decision. 

*ahem*. This forum aint big enough for the both of us bub.

Also, Thermaltake Core X9

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

It doesn't do that well--the 550D is just terrible for airflow.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

i like the arc midi r2 for air flow and quasi-quiet (depending on how loud your

fan/HDD choice is). small footprint, large enough for big GPUs, and has window

option, too.

Thor v2 by rosewill

I have r9 290 xf and they never go over 78c in 1440p bf4 64p server.

Z77A-G43 LGA 1155, Intel I5 3450s, Radeon R9 290 (non-X), Cooler Master V750 Gold (750W) PSU, 2x4GB Ripjaws X 1866 MHz, 1x4 Crucial 1866 MHz, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, Thor V2 Full-tower Case, Acer 1920x1080 Monitor