74 replies to this topic

#1 Gorgatron

Gorgatron

• Banned
  • 448 posts
  • Location/home/Gorgatron

Posted 13 July 2013 - 02:08 PM

Hey guys,

Lately I have been seeing plenty of "What soundcard should I get?" threads. My suggestion? Stop buying soundcards, they suck in my honest opinion. I think in nearly every thread me and a few others recommend an external card. I'm going to explain a little about this magnificent device and why it is awesome. First I'm going to start with the benefits

-USB. Meaning no EMI or annoying static from other components. Great for laptops too! No drivers requried! Just plug-n-play

-Headphone amp AND lineout. Meaning you can use your headphones, or plug in your speakers in the back with 3.5mm

- Sample rate 24-bit/96kHz. I don't feel like explaining this right now because I'm at work but I know you audiophiles will like this.

-Impedance: Supports headphones from 16 to 300 ohms. This means MOST headphones you will use will work just fine.

-+3dB headphone bass boost. This feature is AMAZING! I have yet to turn this feature off. This makes my Koss PortaPro's SUPERFUN.

-Coaxial output. For receivers/speakers? Not a huge A/V person so I'm not entirely sure.

-Small. This thing is small and my package came in a tin can so I consider it easy and portable for travel

-Price. $63.99 on Amazon right now

Negatives:

-High gain is +10dB. This nearly destroyed my ears for a second. +3dB is the low gain which is default. Don't change this unless you know what you are doing.

-When speakers AND headphones are plugged in the audio comes out on BOTH devices. I have yet to test this with Coaxial but I'm assuming this would happen as well.

Main product page: http://fiio.com.cn/p...100000028262517

20121129180801.jpg

• Lyons, stevv, boozerc and 1 other like this

Install Gentoo GNU/Linux | "You have been placed on moderator queue. This means that all content you submit will need to be approved by a moderator before it will be shown." | top LEL

Build specs: Corsair 540, i7 2600K @ 4.2Ghz, Asrock z77 extreme4, 16gb DDR3 @1866, 2 x 1TB, GTX 560 ti
Monitors: Asus VG236H, Dell U2713HM Headphones: Koss PortaPro, DT 770 80ohm, AT-AD700 | Steam profile

Login or Create an Account to get rid of this ad! Login or Create an Account to get rid of this ad!

#2 Dave Zember

Dave Zember

Veteran

• 3,802 posts
  • LocationToronto/Ithaca

User's Awards

Posted 13 July 2013 - 02:10 PM

Great writeup. One of my pet peeves is when people automatically recommend a sound card without realizing the benefits of external solutions.

• ShearMe, bchampion96, stevv and 1 other like this

#3 Dudenstein

Dudenstein

Geek Chic

• 2,099 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 July 2013 - 02:14 PM

Would you mind doing an external dac breakdown for different price points? It would be great having that type of resource here in the forum
  • Gorgatron likes this

i5 2500k stock speeds | ASUS DCuII 560ti@900mhz | MSI p67A-G43 | Kingston HyperX DDR3 8GB | Antec EarthWatts 750w | Lian Li PC-K63 | 2x1TB Barracuda | Blackwidow Ultimate | Deathadder

#4 Gorgatron

Gorgatron

• Banned
  • 448 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 02:22 PM

Great writeup. One of my pet peeves is when people automatically recommend a sound card without realizing the benefits of external solutions.

Thanks! I appreciate feedback.

Would you mind doing an external dac breakdown for different price points? It would be great having that type of resource here in the forum

I'm not a total expert anymore but I could look for the other alternatives depending on budget. I'll have to do this later unfortunately. The main idea of this post was to introduce people to amps/dacs and not deal with sound cards.

Install Gentoo GNU/Linux | "You have been placed on moderator queue. This means that all content you submit will need to be approved by a moderator before it will be shown." | top LEL

Build specs: Corsair 540, i7 2600K @ 4.2Ghz, Asrock z77 extreme4, 16gb DDR3 @1866, 2 x 1TB, GTX 560 ti
Monitors: Asus VG236H, Dell U2713HM Headphones: Koss PortaPro, DT 770 80ohm, AT-AD700 | Steam profile

#5 Dave Zember

Dave Zember

Veteran

• 3,802 posts
  • LocationToronto/Ithaca

User's Awards

Posted 13 July 2013 - 02:26 PM

The main idea of this post was to introduce people to amps/dacs and not deal with sound cards.

The Fiio E17 is also a great portable DAC/amp, and doesn't need to be plugged in to be used, allowing it to be, say, in your pocket attached to your phone while travelling.

• Gorgatron likes this

#6 Gorgatron

Gorgatron

• Banned
  • 448 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 02:34 PM

The Fiio E17 is also a great portable DAC/amp, and doesn't need to be plugged in to be used, allowing it to be, say, in your pocket attached to your phone while travelling.

I forgot all about this. I used to have this with the Fiio E9 but I never took it anywhere.

#7 t0wer

t0wer

*insert title here*

• 2,100 posts

User's Awards

Posted 13 July 2013 - 04:24 PM

-+3dB headphone bass boost. This feature is AMAZING! I have yet to turn this feature off. This makes my Koss PortaPro's SUPERFUN.

Why would you do that?

there's sooo much bass already.

actually I have a possible +15db of bass on my m^3 

hmmm

Don't assume everything I say is 100% accurate and the final answer due to the trusted advisor badge.

Listen to the other members and research it further before making a final decision.

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac  -  I've met my url limit  :(

#8 h264

h264

Semi-Professional iMac Gamer

• 1,813 posts
  • LocationA hotel in some hoedunk town in the US most likely...

Posted 13 July 2013 - 04:27 PM

$30 - Behringer UCA202 (http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B000KW2YEI)

DO NOT USE THE HEADPHONE OUT! Great for the line outs though with a receiver or powered speakers

$80 - FiiO E10

$120 - FiiO E17

$200 - iFi iDAC (http://www.ifi-audio.com/en/iDAC.html <- look at their site. Look at it and LAUGH!)

$200 - Schiit Magni+Modi (very high gain for sensitive headphones)

$285 - O2+ODAC (Mayflower Electronics is still cheapest in US.  Any JDSLabs distributor can be trusted since they all get their parts and build to spec, beware of ebay!)

Benchmark makes nice stuff above the $1000 pricepoint if you'd like those features... but I don't think that's reasonable to list for the mere mortals we are.

• ShearMe and Gorgatron like this

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

#9 h264

h264

• 1,813 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 04:31 PM

Why would you do that?

there's sooo much bass already.

actually I have a possible +15db of bass on my m^3 

hmmm

louder = "detailed", "clean", "rich", "musical", "up-front", "full"

well, it's really just louder, but there's no way to convince people that have already made up their minds.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

#10 t0wer

t0wer

*insert title here*

• 2,100 posts

User's Awards

Posted 13 July 2013 - 04:42 PM

louder = "detailed", "clean", "rich", "musical", "up-front", "full"

that much bass isn't musical or full, it's just ear shaking.

• h264 likes this

Don't assume everything I say is 100% accurate and the final answer due to the trusted advisor badge.

Listen to the other members and research it further before making a final decision.

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac  -  I've met my url limit  :(

#11 UselessBread

UselessBread

Ruisleipä

• 897 posts
  • LocationDrinking your coffee

Posted 13 July 2013 - 04:59 PM

I have one!

Attached File  DSC_2695.gif   416.96KB   3 downloads

• Gorgatron likes this

Profile picture may not necessarily be representative of final product.

#12 OddballMV

OddballMV

• 475 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:14 PM

$120 - FiiO E17

Just thinking the majority of people are asking for home use recommendations as they are asking for a soundcard so would the E17 be an upgrade over the E10 for home use. Of course it is portable but with a mobile device you are not using the DAC so it would just be a portable amp.

Headset

#13 Aphexx

Aphexx

• 1,692 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:15 AM

wait wait you had the e17 and e09 combination and prefer the e10 option over that?

#14 notenoughtv

notenoughtv

• Bronze Contributor
  • 773 posts
  • LocationSantiago, Chile

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:47 AM

I don't know if it's just my E10, but it's really sensitive to cellphone interference while using headphones.

#15 h3ll0

h3ll0

• 360 posts
  • LocationC:/NorthAmerica/Canada(x86)/BritishColumbia/Kelowna.exe

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:07 AM

Couldn't afford a E10 because I had $100 and needed a new heatsink, so instead I got a Fiio D03k and a Fiio E6. WOW! what difference from stock ALC 889 to a receiver. There is just so much more balance and instrument separation.

CPU: FX 6100 4.28 Ghz @ 1.4V GPU: Sapphire HD 7870 MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 RAM: Crucial 8 GB 1333 Mhz CAS 9 PSU: XFX 550W OS:Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit Case: Zalman Z9 Plus CPU Cooler: NZXT T20 HDD:WD 1 TB Blue TOTAL COST (with tax)= $652.96 CAN
You can't spell ignorant without IGN...-TheSLSAMG

#16 t0wer

t0wer

*insert title here*

• 2,100 posts

User's Awards

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:24 AM

wait wait you had the e17 and e09 combination and prefer the e10 option over that?

I think I heard the dac is about the same in both, but the e17 can be used portably and the e9 has a more powerful amp.

#17 h264

h264

• 1,813 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:40 AM

I think I heard the dac is about the same in both, but the e17 can be used portably and the e9 has a more powerful amp.

E9 also has a 10 Ohm output impedance

Just thinking the majority of people are asking for home use recommendations as they are asking for a soundcard so would the E17 be an upgrade over the E10 for home use. Of course it is portable but with a mobile device you are not using the DAC so it would just be a portable amp.

the E7 and E17 can be used as stand-alone units as far as I remember.  It has an electronic volume control and is really not much of an upgrade, but some people like the form factor and the volume control so I listed it.

#18 OddballMV

OddballMV

• 475 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:47 AM

the E7 and E17 can be used as stand-alone units as far as I remember.  It has an electronic volume control and is really not much of an upgrade, but some people like the form factor and the volume control so I listed it.

To use the DAC in the E17 while on the go you would need a portable device with optical / coax out which all but the high end players don't have.

Headset

#19 h264

h264

• 1,813 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:25 AM

To use the DAC in the E17 while on the go you would need a portable device with optical / coax out which all but the high end players don't have.

You can't charge it up then plug it into a laptop with a usb cable then plug your headphones into it?

#20 Aphexx

Aphexx

• 1,692 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:29 AM

I think he was talking about an ipod or mobile phone situation as "on the go"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users