Killing floor 2 devs says no to paid mods

leelaa14

Sounds quite promising, but the details are always very hard to think about when talking about such huge market places

True. I'm backing away from Steam from now on. I've just realized that Valve has WAY too much power on their hands. Paid mods can be justified, but not like this, and not in Valve's way. Their role in this market is big, and all of their systems are kinda failing. The curator system can be selled out, Greenlight can be falsed, Early Access oftenly means "we will add a skin in a few years" and their customer service is like an under budget sci fi show with a great budget (it needs more budget).

Valve needs to get their s*** together, because I've had a better experience using Origin.

Valve, you got beat by EA.

I'm disappointed.

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

...this system gets shoved down our throat, and Valve screams Deal with it while they kick the mod developers in the stomach....

A voluntary system is being "shoved down" whose throat exactly????

People choose to sell, or to continue to give them away, and people choose to buy or not.

There is no force here.  It is an addition to the existing system.

Your hyperbolic response really only tends to confirm my suspicion that you are not exactly being upfront about your actual issues with this new marketplace.

Mods should in my opinion, remain free to some extent. I would like to see a demo of a mod for free, and than expansion packs / full versions of it for cash money. That is a good way to do this. Not forcing people.

They are remaing free - to a great extent.  I think you will see 'demo' version of paid mods (but that still wont solve the compatibility/reliabilty issues.)  What you may also see is for-sale mods priced cheap to the first 'X' number of downloaders, and then the price rising if they turn popular.

But again, there is no force here.

Imagine if like Nexus makes a marketplace.

Mods are free at first. Than, devs can build up to their mod by adding expansion packs for example, or even a season-pass like system where you pay once for a mod, which will than get updated.

This way Nexus makes money because of advertisments, and the devs get money because of selling their stuff.

How does this sound?

only happen when the modder work by him/her self

if they took other people idea/concept or even a line of code, people would take grab on that plate.

and guess who would take most of it? game company, specially if they get DCMA claimed by other companies, and it's already happening.

mod world is in grey area, and that world wouldn't exist without community support first.

anyway... it's not everyone ideal some people agreed some isn't.

tesla want make power free, but edison wouldn't.

Your hyperbolic response really only tends to confirm my suspicion that you are not exactly being upfront about your actual issues with this new marketplace.

If I need to be 100% Direct:

Valve is being a p**** pretending that this is for the gamers and that they are still the almighty Gabens while robbing the money from Mod developers.

They are remaing free - to a great extent.  I think you will see 'demo' version of paid mods (but that still wont solve the compatibility/reliabilty issues.)  What you may also see is for-sale mods priced cheap to the first 'X' number of downloaders, and then the price rising if they turn popular.

But again, there is no force here.

No direct force. But the list of paid mods are increasing, and we can't do anything about that (thus indirect force). This problem will be okay though, if there will be at least demo version of anything.

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

If I need to be 100% Direct:

Valve is being a p**** pretending that this is for the gamers and that they are still the almighty Gabens while robbing the money from Mod developers.

No direct force. But the list of paid mods are increasing, and we can't do anything about that (thus indirect force). This problem will be okay though, if there will be at least demo version of anything.

Thanks for finally opening up and giving us your honest thoughts.

Valve is a business, in the business of providing entertainment to generate revenue.  They are testing a new model of that business,  It is only for "for the gamers" to the extent that "gamers" are the people they do business with. 

Nobody is robbing money from modders because they never could make money prior to now.

You have a strange definition of robbing, when it involves an arrangement that allows people to make money on things they couldn't previously make money on.

The fact that you "cannot do anything about" other people choosing to sell their property is likewise a rather odd understanding of the word force - indirect or otherwise.  Unless you define force as "people doing things that you don't like, and have no authority to stop."

But maybe it is a language thing, although I kind of doubt it because otherwise your English is very good.

Gopher just uploaded a video today that covers all of the bases pretty well, I think. It's a little lengthy though.

"A picture is starting to form here... I wonder if it's accurate? Some pieces don't quite seem to fit. Or maybe I just don't like the way it looks."

and worst, they stole the idea/concept and even the "free" mod it self and pack it and label it "their own work".

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse/?appid=72850&browsesort=trend&section=readytouseitems&requiredflags[]=paiditems

sange & yasha are valve (dota) property, I don't think they can do that.

Just a correction, that guy had permission from Valve to make those. He have made quite a bit of cosmetics for Dota 2, many of which has been accepted into the game, so it's no wonder.

(^◡^)っ✂

>Modgate

FUCK YOU INTERNET

I'm telling the truth! I AM a 12 year old girl!

>Modgate

FUCK YOU INTERNET

Don't forget, Elvis shot his TV for a reason too...

Don't forget, Elvis shot his TV for a reason too...

What?

I'm telling the truth! I AM a 12 year old girl!

What?

Elvis, back in the days way before the internet, used to get pissed off about what was happening on his TV.

Of course, being television, he couldn't post a hearty 'fuck you TV.'

So, instead he'd shoot the TV.

Just offering some perspective.

Not actually suggesting anything...

;)