About to buy a new rig, advice is welcome!

Hi lovely people in this lovely forum, I wanted to post my amazon cart here to see if you guys have any advice whatsoever.

You see, I'm a newly graduated mechanical engineer and I've always wanted a good gaming rig, mine is a bit outdated. So now that I'm part of the working class, I can afford my little dream, but I'm affraid I've made any mistakes on my build. So why not post it here!

For my budget, I had to stick to 1000 USD, so I decided to use my old gtx 460 while i can save for a gtx 960 or maybe a couple of them later on.

I'll be mainly using this pc for gaming, also for some CAD software.

PSU                   XFX PRO750W Core Edition 80+ Bronze ATX 750                   93.99

SSD BOOT       Kingston Digital 120GB SSD                                                         58.8

HDD MAIN        WD Blue 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 7200rpm Internal Hard Drive          54.99

RAM                  Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz               113.99

CPU                   Intel Core i7-4790K Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.40 GHz)    338.99

MOBO               ASUS Z97-A ATX                                                                            139.99

COOLER          Corsair Hydro Series H100i                                                            110.93

CASE                NZXT Phantom 410 Mid Tower                                                      99.99

Others               Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound 3.5 Grams                             7.73

TOTAL                1019.4 USD

I know the red side would give me a better price/performance ratio, but man! Blue and green do things so much smoothly
Thx :D

Hi lovely people in this lovely forum, I wanted to post my amazon cart here to see if you guys have any advice whatsoever.

You see, I'm a newly graduated mechanical engineer and I've always wanted a good gaming rig, mine is a bit outdated. So now that I'm part of the working class, I can afford my little dream, but I'm affraid I've made any mistakes on my build. So why not post it here!

For my budget, I had to stick to 1000 USD, so I decided to use my old gtx 460 while i can save for a gtx 960 or maybe a couple of them later on.

I'll be mainly using this pc for gaming, also for some CAD software.

PSU                   XFX PRO750W Core Edition 80+ Bronze ATX 750                   93.99

SSD BOOT       Kingston Digital 120GB SSD                                                         58.8

HDD MAIN        WD Blue 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 7200rpm Internal Hard Drive          54.99

RAM                  Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz               113.99

CPU                   Intel Core i7-4790K Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.40 GHz)    338.99

MOBO               ASUS Z97-A ATX                                                                            139.99

COOLER          Corsair Hydro Series H100i                                                            110.93

CASE                NZXT Phantom 410 Mid Tower                                                      99.99

Others               Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound 3.5 Grams                             7.73

TOTAL                1019.4 USD

I know the red side would give me a better price/performance ratio, but man! Blue and green do things so much smoothly

Thx :D

are your task's heavily multithreaded,if not don't get the i7 if your not planning to overclock don't get a k cpu dot buy a AIO if you don't plan to overclock

but if if your work is heavily multithreaded go on ahead to overclocking and the i7 4790k ( i personally have it and it's a beast)

also change the ssd to a 250 gb one, there is no use for a 120gb ssd anymore

with the money you save if you dont get the k i7 you can get a gtx 970

check what king of CAD your going to use and if it's very multithreaded, if not (or you don't mind having some stutteringin cad) don't get the i7 

if you have any question's just let me know 

Edited by nikolaizombie1

I would also recommend a lesser cpu and and a fat gpu. There's no way you need a 4790 if you're going to pair it with an old ass card. I also second the 250gb ssd

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

You are building a gaming rig, but spending most of the money on your cpu. Do not do this - in any gaming build the most expensive part should be your graphics card. Sell your old 460 and get an i5 4460 or 4690k for the cpu. This will leave you with more money to set aside for your graphics card, to buy something like a 960 or a 970 now.