GTX 980 / 980 Ti Enhanced "Metal" Edition in the works

BiG StroOnZ

So now before I dive into the quotes from the sources let me just clear the air here.

According to the original source where KitGuru is getting their information, the person posting says that there will be a 980 Ti Metal Enhanced Edition with a revised cooling solution, purported to be an AIO cooler solution. Which would mean it would have much higher clock speeds and possibly memory speeds than the regular 980 Ti.

Now KitGuru for some reason claims that first it's called the 980 Metal edition (not 980 Ti metal edition) and it is the cut down version of the 980 Ti (like the GTX 780 was compared to the 780 Ti), however no where in the original source does it state this (the source that KitGuru is getting their entire article from).

First KitGuru's piece:

Nvidia is also reportedly working on something called GeForce GTX 980 “metal enhanced version”. It is unknown what it is, but it is highly likely that this graphics adapters is based on a cut-down version of Nvidia’s GM200 GPU. Since nothing particular is known about yields of Nvidia’s largest graphics processor to date, it is impossible to guess configuration of its cut-down version with disabled processing units.Price and performance of the GeForce GTX 980 Metal, if it ever sees the light of day, will be higher than those of the GeForce GTX 980, but lower compared to those of the GeForce GTX Titan X. Pricing of the solution will depend on performance and availability timeframe.

From the original Chinese source:

There is still one more surprising news, but it is still unconfirmed as of now. According to Nvidia, There will be a metal enhanced variant after 980 Ti. Price and Specs are not confirmed yet. I suspect it should boost higher core clock as well as a better high end and improved cooler. Regarding this we will have to wait further to verify it. Stay tuned

Source

Translated Source

I'm not sure which source is correct, but the original source states nothing about the 980 Ti Metal Edition being a cut down version. All they state is that it will be faster, and have an alternate cooling solution than the 980 Ti. Which from other Chinese translators has been said to be an AIO cooling solution. This makes more sense to me because if AMD is definitely releasing a version of the 390X with an AIO Cooling solution called the 390X WCE or Water Cooled Edition (according to the leaked slides from a month or so ago) with higher clock speeds than the air cooled 390X (this is only an approximation based on the need to offer an AIO watercooled Edition) then this would mean NVIDIA could potentially lose that market segment to AMD simply because their watercooled version is faster than the reference 980 Ti (or whatever it will be called). By NVIDIA releasing a watercooled version also with increased clock speeds this could mean they could battle head to head with whomever actually has the faster card, not limited by heat.

Ti = Titanium = metal

Nvidia's riddles. :lol:

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

I'm disappointed in KitGuru... this is a joke...

So now, without any really compelling information, we have rumors of a 980Ti and a 980Ti: Metal...

I'd like to see some good information.... but there is none.

and "90% the performance for 66% the price?" ... this is lesson 1 of how to alienate those who buy the top-tier cards (if it were real)

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

Kitguru's slope sources are a slippery one at that. Clickbait. They sling way too much shit rumours into the world. 

Nvidia, are you trying to make a naming scheme as idiotic as Intels? You're on the right track here. 

Can't wait for the GeForce GTX 980Ti Metal Enhanced Edition SuperSuperClocked ACX2.0+

(Can't possibly be longer right?)

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Nvidia, are you trying to make a naming scheme as idiotic as Intels? You're on the right track here. 

Can't wait for the GeForce GTX 980Ti Metal Enhanced Edition SuperSuperClocked ACX2.0+

Tack on a black, extreme, or pro 

for good measure 

>thinking this is real

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

What do you mean as bad as Intel's? AMD's is easily the worst the industry has to offer.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

What do you mean as bad as Intel's? AMD's is easily the worst the industry has to offer.

Next chipset is apparently called Z170. There's been Z77/Z87/Z97. I think The next one should be called Z107. 

i'll let you figure it out. Has something to do with being called the 10th gen chipset. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

One thing is certain if any of these GTX 980 Ti rumors are true AMD really has Nvidia rattled.

One thing is certain if any of these GTX 980 Ti rumors are true AMD really has Nvidia rattled.

Doubt it. Nvidia has assets to keep going as a company... this next year is about make or break for AMD.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

Not really. They just want to cover all market segments. Not sure why is that hard to understand.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 32 GB (4x8GB) DDR4 GPU: EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVME | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S PSU: Corsair RM850x

I am a gamer, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.

Probably because AMD is a major competitor and is threatening to take over the market.............

You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

Doubt it. Nvidia has assets to keep going as a company... this next year is about make or break for AMD.

There's not much reasoning behind the GTX 980 Ti as there was the GTX 780 Ti other than trying to remain on top.

Not really. They just want to cover all market segments. Not sure why is that hard to understand.

The GTX 980 Ti will still be a consumer card.

Probably because AMD is a major competitor and is threatening to take over the market.............

They've lost so much market share that they really need to stick something to regain some of it.

There's not much reasoning behind the GTX 980 Ti as there was the GTX 780 Ti other than trying to remain on top.

The difference is the 780Ti was the fully unlocked core, compared to the 780. The 980 is already fully unlocked, and so is the Titan X. That's why I have such a hard time believing any of these rumors... plus... you know, no evidence.

The difference is the 780Ti was the fully unlocked core, compared to the 780. The 980 is already fully unlocked, and so is the Titan X. That's why I have such a hard time believing any of these rumors... plus... you know, no evidence.

Thus comes the question if Fiji takes out GM200 what does Nvidia have to retaliate with? It seems a heavily overclocked GM200 would be their last resort (GTX 980 Ti).

The GTX 980 Ti will still be a consumer card.

Of course. Consumer market has its segments as well. And of course Nvidia will try to stay on top. Just like AMD is trying. Nothing new there.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 32 GB (4x8GB) DDR4 GPU: EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVME | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S PSU: Corsair RM850x

I am a gamer, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.

Of course. Consumer market has its segments as well. And of course Nvidia will try to stay on top. Just like AMD is trying. Nothing new there.

Which pretty much validates my initial statement. The fact that a GTX 980 Ti is to exist as a TITAN X re-brand hints to Nvidia expecting something big coming. Big enough for them to strip their flagship card of all it's glory so soon after its debut in place for a cheaper one that will out perform it. I can only imagine how pissed TITAN X owners are going to be if this does happen as the 12GB of VRAM doesn't justify the card over one with half that (no game is going to saturate 6GB unless you're running insane resolutions).

Which pretty much validates my initial statement. The fact that a GTX 980 Ti is to exist as a TITAN X re-brand hints to Nvidia expecting something big coming. Big enough for them to strip their flagship card of all it's glory so soon after its debut in place for a cheaper one that will out perform it. I can only imagine how pissed TITAN X owners are going to be if this does happen as the 12GB of VRAM doesn't justify the card over one with half that (no game is going to use 6GB unless you're running insane resolutions).

Which is why my point stands... they most likely won't be doing it. I would be pissed if my $2k graphics solution is beat by something that costs a lot less and runs cooler. But I don't see Nvidia doing that.

Which is why my point stands... they most likely won't be doing it. I would be pissed if my $2k graphics solution is beat by something that costs a lot less and runs cooler. But I don't see Nvidia doing that.

All that can be said is they've done it before.

All that can be said is they've done it before.

But this past 6 months has been enough bad press for them... taking down the "fastest GPU in the world" off it's pedestal is going to put them in a very bad place.

Which pretty much validates my initial statement. The fact that a GTX 980 Ti is to exist as a TITAN X re-brand hints to Nvidia expecting something big coming. Big enough for them to strip their flagship card of all it's glory so soon after its debut in place for a cheaper one that will out perform it. I can only imagine how pissed TITAN X owners are going to be if this does happen as the 12GB of VRAM doesn't justify the card over one with half that (no game is going to saturate 6GB unless you're running insane resolutions).

Doesn't validate your statement at all. Yes, Nvidia is probably expecting something big from AMD. Doesn't mean they're scared of AMD or their product. They just want to be prepared. This is what smart company in competing market does, instead of overhyping their products and making fun of competition, while having huge problems in their own backyard.

lol.

Really? You don't see Nvida doing that?