Rockstar Social Club accounts may have been compromised

http://www.kitguru.net/gaming/security-software/jon-martindale/rockstar-social-club-accounts-may-have-been-compromised/

So according to Kitguru readers accounts have been compromised by, what they are calling "nefarious individuals" (love that). Apparently they recieved a Pastebin posting containing over 200 usernames and passwords that supposedly belong to Rockstar Social Club accounts. They have asked Rockstar what they think of it and they will update their post when they get a response.

Apparently KitGuru tried a couple of logins and none of them seemed to work. Which could be good news, but it could also mean it's all a false alarm and these are just some really old accounts from a previous "hack". Which is also the disclaimer they put underneath the article:

KitGuru: Hopefully this is just some kind of hoax, but just in-case, we’d still recommend changing your password.

I tried searching if this had been posted before using the google search but couldn't find anything, my apologies if it is a repost 

Intel Core i5 2500K @ 3.30GHz MSI Radeon R9 290 Gaming 4G | Asus P8H61-M Evo Rev B Kingston ValueRAM KVR1333D3N9K2/8G Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B Samsung 840 Evo 512GB Seagate Barracude 7200.12 ST3500413AS, 500GB Samsung Spinpoint 1TB 5400RPM OCZ ZS Series 650W Cooler Master Elite 430 Windowed Logitech LS21 Creative Fatal1ty Logitech G500 Razer BlackWidow 2010 | 2x Dell U1214H | 1x Ilyama ProLite E2407HDS

Bout time some AAA Three starred game gets hacks

tumblr_inline_nfsabpSiFQ1rtg4ui.gif

(NOW)War Horse:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 | Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel 8GB 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI R7790 | Case: Dazumba D-Vito 903 | HDD 1 & 2: Seagate 1TB and Seagate 500GB | PSU: Corsair CX600
(WAS)Old Coop:
CPU: Intel C2D E7500 | Motherboard: Gigabyte G31M-ES2L | RAM: V-Gen 4GB Dual Channel | GPU: Galaxy GT210 | Case: Power-Up ??? | HDD: Seagate 500GB | PSU: Power-up 500W

MyAnimeList Profile | Heaven Society | HEIL THE MIGHTY AND POWERFUL LINUS | My Blog 'Unfinished Pieces' | Code of Conduct

Which could be good news

but it could also mean it's all a false alarm and these are just some really old accounts from a previous "hack". 

Is that not the same thing? :D

Is that not the same thing? :D

old accounts coulkd theroetically be updated or have valid email addresses but have changed passwords

fake accounts could just be random giberrish, so its important for them to check as if there old accounts they have to find out how the info was leaked or hacked incase they dont know

old accounts coulkd theroetically be updated or have valid email addresses but have changed passwords

fake accounts could just be random giberrish, so its important for them to check as if there old accounts they have to find out how the info was leaked or hacked incase they dont know

In both cases it's good news though.

In both cases it's good news though.

True, and I know it was kind of redundant but hey :P. Too bad there's no way to check if your account is on the list though. I do understand why they don't give out the pastbin but still, would have liked to see if my account is in any kind of danger. 

Intel Core i5 2500K @ 3.30GHz MSI Radeon R9 290 Gaming 4G | Asus P8H61-M Evo Rev B Kingston ValueRAM KVR1333D3N9K2/8G Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B Samsung 840 Evo 512GB Seagate Barracude 7200.12 ST3500413AS, 500GB Samsung Spinpoint 1TB 5400RPM OCZ ZS Series 650W Cooler Master Elite 430 Windowed Logitech LS21 Creative Fatal1ty Logitech G500 Razer BlackWidow 2010 | 2x Dell U1214H | 1x Ilyama ProLite E2407HDS

Well, they'd still need my steam account to play any of my social club games.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

I am probably a victim - Not entirely sure, might also just be a coinsidence that my own Social Club account has been hacked, but I doubt it.

While I wait for Rockstar Support to get their finger out their arse. I've have been snooping around a bit to see what I could find.

The original pastebin have been deleted. Though I've got access to a .txt with a list of exactly 200 Rockstar Social Club accounts. Was not able to find my own. Though I found an email address almost identical to my own (same format and name). Who uses the exact same password as I do, except for what seems to be a birth year at the back of it. (pretty interresting, and I bet ya I'm gonna change every account that uses that password now!).

Also, I found another forum where the whole text have been posted on a topic. Seems to be a turkish pirate site.
I won't post the site here for obvious reasons. But pretty interresting nontheless.

Now back to waiting on Rockstar Support....

UPDATE:
ACTUALLY, the site I found contains another 115 accounts plus the original 200.
Still no sight of my own account though.

Everyone have a cool signature. I don't, so I thought I would write something.

- Cool right?

http://www.kitguru.net/gaming/security-software/jon-martindale/rockstar-social-club-accounts-may-have-been-compromised/

So according to Kitguru readers accounts have been compromised by, what they are calling "nefarious individuals" (love that). Apparently they recieved a Pastebin posting containing over 200 usernames and passwords that supposedly belong to Rockstar Social Club accounts. They have asked Rockstar what they think of it and they will update their post when they get a response.

Apparently KitGuru tried a couple of logins and none of them seemed to work. Which could be good news, but it could also mean it's all a false alarm and these are just some really old accounts from a previous "hack". Which is also the disclaimer they put underneath the article:

I tried searching if this had been posted before using the google search but couldn't find anything, my apologies if it is a repost 

This is why I bought the game (NOT on steam ). And used a crack to get around the DRM (social club).

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

Or it's a false flag, and they want to trick people into changing their passwords, which in reality could expose them to being hacked.

I am probably a victim - Not entirely sure, might also just be a coinsidence that my own Social Club account has been hacked, but I doubt it.

While I wait for Rockstar Support to get their finger out their arse. I've have been snooping around a bit to see what I could find.

The original pastebin have been deleted. Though I've got access to a .txt with a list of exactly 200 Rockstar Social Club accounts. Was not able to find my own. Though I found an email address almost identical to my own (same format and name). Who uses the exact same password as I do, except for what seems to be a birth year at the back of it. (pretty interresting, and I bet ya I'm gonna change every account that uses that password now!).

Also, I found another forum where the whole text have been posted on a topic. Seems to be a turkish pirate site.
I won't post the site here for obvious reasons. But pretty interresting nontheless.

Now back to waiting on Rockstar Support....

UPDATE:
ACTUALLY, the site I found contains another 115 accounts plus the original 200.
Still no sight of my own account though.

I wish I could be the dude in that avatar. I wouldn't have pulled away lol

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Ahh i remember when i reset everyone's password on the starmade server, thank god for back ups.

Or it's a false flag, and they want to trick people into changing their passwords, which in reality could expose them to being hacked.

I can't speak for the accounts on the list, but if they've been changed the same way mine have I really have to doubt that this is a trick. Not only has my password been changed, but my email address bound with the account too.

I might be just be blind, but I baffels me how rockstar havn't implemented some sort of security question and some other form of recovery method... How is someone able to change ones email address asociated with the account, without email confirmation from the original?

Glad it entertains you :D

- Cool right?

Link to the pastebin? I'm a lazy fool right now and I really don't want to change my password unless I absolutely have to.

edit

Apparently Rockstar said there hasn't been any successful hijacks, only attempts.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Link to the pastebin? I'm a lazy fool right now and I really don't want to change my password unless I absolutely have to.

edit

Apparently Rockstar said there hasn't been any successful hijacks, only attempts.

The pastebin has been deleted. Though with a bit of searching you can easily find details.

Also, these 'hijacks' doesn't need to have anything to do with rockstars services directly, but rather a collection of information collected over time through more private methods?

I don't know much about these things, though I would assume if they would've been able to actually breach any sort of database with account information - they would've had alot more accounts to share with the world... But they would've had to bruteforce the passwords aswell. Just my thoughts though, again I don't know much about these thing - so if you think you know more than me please correct me if I'm terribly wrong! :)

- Cool right?

lol I would have punched her.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

lol I would have punched her.

I would detail what I would have done, but that might get me a warning and or temporary ban.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I would detail what I would have done, but that might get me a warning and or temporary ban.

xD

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.