Sharp announces staggering overkill 5.5inch, 4k resolution, 806PPI, IGZO display for phablets

AlexGoesHigh

vEfMvwR.jpg

they are also the first to announce a 4K panel for phones, other that that, this is the most overkill product to exist on earth, what else is there to say, well i guess manufacturing dates work, the panel will go into mass production next year and is expected that late 2016 or early 2017 smartphone to ship with this display

71SP1du.jpg

other reports suggest that samsumng may ship the note 5 with a 4K AMOLED display late this year and that sony xperia Z4 will have a QHD display, (2560x1440), many people (and with bloody good reason) are claiming QHD is already past the point of significant benefits higher resolutions panel can bring to phones

source: Neowin

one word: REALLY!?!?!?!?!?!?!

also, CAN WE HAVE THIS FOR LAPTOPS AND DESKTOP MONITORS FFS

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

This + Tegra X1 SOC please.

Spoiler
Spoiler

Project Depravity: £850 / ????? (03/12/2015) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo SE Red Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB MX Red Monitors: 3* Asus PG279Q Stand: Ergotech Triple Desk Stand Webcam: Logitch C920

Spoiler

RIP in kill: CPU: Single core Celeron M @1.73GHz RAM: 1GB (512MB x2) DDR2 SO-DIMM Motherboard: Asus MOCA-AR HDD: 160GB SATA2 5400rpm

Spoiler

Current System: CPU: Intel i5-4690K Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB 1866MHz GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 960 4GB SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M Case: Corsair 200R Windowed MonitorLG 22MP55HQ 22" IPS + HP w19 MouseRoccat Savu Keyboard: Corsair Raptor K30 Mouse Pad: Perixx DX-1000XXL Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 

806 PPI is a lot. But when can we expect ~23" monitors with this resolution? Phablets are one thing but a computer will be effective at using that resolution.

Always trying to find reason.

806 PPI is a lot. But when can we expect ~23" monitors with this resolution? Phablets are one thing but a computer will be effective at using that resolution.

I believe Dell have 1 or 2 24" 4K monitors. But on a more serious note, why? 806 ppi is overkill. A standard 1080 or a 1440 would be more than adequate for this size of phablet. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

Project Depravity: £850 / ????? (03/12/2015) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo SE Red Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB MX Red Monitors: 3* Asus PG279Q Stand: Ergotech Triple Desk Stand Webcam: Logitch C920

Spoiler

RIP in kill: CPU: Single core Celeron M @1.73GHz RAM: 1GB (512MB x2) DDR2 SO-DIMM Motherboard: Asus MOCA-AR HDD: 160GB SATA2 5400rpm

Spoiler

Current System: CPU: Intel i5-4690K Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB 1866MHz GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 960 4GB SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M Case: Corsair 200R Windowed MonitorLG 22MP55HQ 22" IPS + HP w19 MouseRoccat Savu Keyboard: Corsair Raptor K30 Mouse Pad: Perixx DX-1000XXL Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 

I believe Dell have 1 or 2 24" 4K monitors. But on a more serious note, why? 806 ppi is overkill. A standard 1080 or a 1440 would be more than adequate for this size. 

I would like a crisp image on my display without using an overly large monitor?

This is dumb.

It's not dumb, it's applying innovation where we don't need it at the moment.

It's not dumb, it's applying innovation where we don't need it at the moment.

There is no reason to have this much pixel density. It is dumb.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

There is no reason to have this much pixel density. It is dumb.

There is always a reason to increase pixel density. Soon we'll be getting to the point that a screen would be like looking through a window because of how clear it is. And I find that worth the innovation.

I can't even see the pixels on a 400dpi display, so why one this earth would I want anything higher? 1080p is the most that should be on a smartphone, anything past that is just a battery hog and pub bragging rights.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

There is always a reason to increase pixel density. Soon we'll be getting to the point that a screen would be like looking through a window because of how clear it is. And I find that worth the innovation.

You understand there are diminishing returns, correct? Your eyes can only see so much. This much pixel density is worthless.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

You wont get that experience when looking at a 5.5 inch screen...

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

You understand there are diminishing returns, correct? Your eyes can only see so much.

I do understand there are diminishing returns but just because you can't always tell each and every pixel does not mean it isn't worth it.

You wont get that experience when looking at a 5.5 inch screen...

You say that, but if you've never tried it, how would you know?

I do understand there are diminishing returns but just because you can't always tell each and every pixel does not mean it isn't worth it.

You will have to prove to me increasing pixel density this far will have merits and it's not just a waste of time and money.

increased pixel density is a good reason, but on phones, no there's no point to argue this 800+ PPI panel, is well in being overkill for no other reason of it can be done, now if this tech was on monitors and laptops, they have all of my yes, i want higher pixel density there, not on phones

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

increased pixel density is a good reason, but on phones, no there's no point to argue this 800+ PPI panel, is well in being overkill for no other reason of it can be done, now if this tech was on monitors and laptops, they have all of my yes, i wan't higher pixel density there, not on phones

The problem with phones is the technology to drive and maintain the display isn't here yet, the display itself is fine.

You will have to prove to me increasing pixel density this far will have merits and it's not just a waste of time and money.

Look out a window and tell me all the detail you see. Unless you have terrible vision then there is no reason to not increase display resolution. And even then, just because you might not benefit from a higher resolution does not mean others will.

Look out a window and tell me all the detail you see. Unless you have terrible vision then there is no reason to not increase display resolution. And even then, just because you might not benefit from a higher resolution does not mean others will.

That is not comparable. The world is not full of pixels.

I'd actually trade this for a displayport output and a lower price on the phone any day.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

That is not comparable. The world is not full of pixels.

But when we can create something similar, why is there a problem with that?

Would you not enjoy having a clearer image? There is no reason we went past 360x240 on phones because it worked, but we did anyways. How is this any different?

But when we can create something similar, why is there a problem with that?

Would you not enjoy having a clearer image? There is no reason we went past 360x240 on phones because it worked, but we did anyways. How is this any different?

I already told you. Diminishing returns. When the iPhone 4 was released, no one could really see the pixels except for in games(maybe). On my HTC One M8, I can't see the pixels in games with the 1080p display.

I already told you. Diminishing returns. When the iPhone 4 was released, no one could really see the pixels except for in games(maybe). On my HTC One M8, I can't see the pixels in games with the 1080p display.

And you can barely see the pixels on a 4k monitor now but everyone wants to buy one because why? The image is clearer. This is no problem with this other than you complaining you can see fine detail.

Just because there are diminishing returns doesn't mean the screen is any worse. You can tell there is a difference, every detail on the screen is cleaner and crisper. If you got the chance to use a screen with a higher resolution you would enjoy it for the quality. Here you are looking at numbers and basing your assumption off of how you feel towards it. Not seeing why we should improve on what we have to every extent possible.

And you can barely see the pixels on a 4k monitor now but everyone wants to buy one because why? The image is clearer. This is no problem with this other than you complaining you can see fine detail.

Just because there are diminishing returns doesn't mean the screen is any worse. You can tell there is a difference, every detail on the screen is cleaner and crisper. If you got the chance to use a screen with a higher resolution you would enjoy it for the quality. Here you are looking at numbers and basing your assumption off of how you feel towards it. Not seeing why we should improve on what we have to every extent possible.

I've also taken the time to learn about the human eye. Without the brain processing everything, your vision would be sub-par.

I did not say the display would be worse.

I've also taken the time to learn about the human eye. Without the brain processing everything, your vision would be sub-par.

I did not say the display would be worse.

I've studied about the eye too, granted not in to fine details but I know how it works in enough detail. You cannot make out every detail in the world you see, so how would that make any difference here? The resolution needed to have problems with seeing it is a bit higher than 4k and above.

I've studied about the eye too, granted not in to fine details but I know how it works in enough detail. You cannot make out every detail in the world you see, so how would that make any difference here? The resolution needed to have problems with seeing it is a bit higher than 4k and above.

Resolution is not the only thing that's needed for fine detail. If I gave you a blurred video that was captured at 4K, would you say the video is crisp? Not likely.