Asus Xonar Essence STX click noise

smickoi

Hey guys just installed my Asus Xonar Essence STX and it makes a click noise on startup and shutdown. It seems to be coming from the card itself, just wanted to double check its normal. Thanks

I am pretty sure that this is the initial detection or power input into the sound device. This is perfectly normal and should also happen with a phone for example (My galaxy s2, Xonar essence STX and my Asus laptop all does it with my Beyerdynamic dt770 pro)

Enjoy your sweet soundcard.

Desktop: CPU: i7 3770k OC: 4.0 GHZ | CPUCooler: Corsair H100i | GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCU2 | Motherboard: Gigabyte z77x-ud5h | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16 gig, 1600 mhz | PSU: Corsair AX860 | Soundcard: Asus Xonar Essence STX | Storage: Corsair Force 3 120 gb, Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB | OS: Windows 8.1 Pro

Periphirals: Keyboard: Logitech g710+ | Mice: Desktop: Razer Imperator Battlefield 3 Edition. Laptop: Razer Deathadder 3.5g edition | Mousepads: Desktop: Razer Goliathus Control Extended edition Laptop: Razer Goliathus Control edition | Sound stuff: Bose Companion 2 speakers (Free yay), Beyerdynamic DT-770 250 Ohm.

Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad Edge e540: CPU: i7 4702mq | GPU: Nvidia Geforce gt740 | RAM: 8 gig of some brand | Storage: 1 TB of some brand 5400 rpm | OS: Windows 8.1 Pro

My DX card used to pop and found that having the smart volume turned on made the card pop every time the audio changed. Whether or not it's a similar issue to what you're having I don't know but I thought I'd let you know.

The clicking sound is perfectly normal. It also does it when you switch between headphone and speaker plugs in the Xonar panel. You have the same sound on high-end Power Supplies, like the Seasonic X Gold series, or the Corsair AX series. You also have this clicking sound on high end sound equipment.

To put simply, what you hearing is an automatic switch system. This is to protect your electronics or in this case, speaker or headphones from getting a burst of current causing a pop sound, which damages them over time. Before this system, any audio enthusiasts or engineer will tell you ALWAYS set the volume to 0 before you turn on a sound system, and before you turn off a system to protect your speakers or headphones. This auto switch helps alleviate the problem.

No one cares if you have 30-60$ headphones... but when you have 300$ headphones or in the case of a high end sound system 20 000$ each speakers, it really maters.

@JoshgameWasTaken, Don't use Smart Volume.

• 9 months later...

ASUS Xonar Essence STX

Asus STX pops clicks and noise between tracks and formats on Foobar and other media players. Here is an imperfect fix that works perfectly.

What ever player you use for music [i use foobar] you need another one for this fix, but not for playback, rather as a decoy. I use VLC player for video so I just use that.

Here is how it works.

You start playback of any music track in the second media player, [in my case VLC] and pause the playback, it won’t matter where, and it can be any audio format, bit rate bit depth

flac, mp3, wav, ogg etc.,anything. That’s it, you're good to go. Start your usual music player

and enjoy.

NOTES.

My system was making huge bangs and pops when I started playback and when changing tracks, and happened randomly, often between tracks of different formats or bit rates before this fix and nothing else worked. It was horrifying to hear this from a high performance system or through expensive headphones. It even did it when closing an explorer window from which I had selected the track. Thought it was a lost cause until I figured it out, which would be tragic

because it sounds so good and is in my opinion the best value for money audio hardware

device in history.

HOW DOES IT WORK ?

The processing engine begins decoding a track, and when it finishes playing the stream and finds a different format or bit rate, has to drop the process entirely and load the new codec.

[This is an oversight of programing, perhaps to do with juggling resources].Upon loading the new codec, occasionally, the end of one stream does not “mate” smoothly with the new stream and the result is a beautifully faithful reproduction of a mortifying and jagged square wave effect. The problem is the dropping of the output altogether to create silence between tracks. Well intentioned but defeating it’s own purpose spectacularly. By having another player in the back ground with a track playing but paused, ie zero output, but stream intact, you maintain the stream continuity without adding noise to the system. Not a perfect fix and not tried with all combinations of players, but working perfectly on several systems, Intel and AMD.  

I wouldn't be surprised if Schiit designed the STX.

There's no way, at least the STX works and doesn't break your headphones. That's a feat most shit products can't accomplish. 

"Lmao, this shouldn't be normal."

What?

should != is

Is English not your first language? I can understand if not.

should != is

Is English not your first language? I can understand if not.

Its not 

But saying that something shouldnt happen ( in computers ) means its not right, and it doesnt work correctly, but in this case it should happen.

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

Its not 

But saying that something shouldnt happen ( in computers ) means its not right, and it doesnt work correctly, but in this case it should happen.

Ah, but he didn't say "this should not happen" he said "this should not be normal" meaning "it is normal, but I wish it wasn't"

@jswp This is why you don't use the ASIO driver

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

Ah, but he didn't say "this should not happen" he said "this should not be normal" meaning "it is normal, but I wish it wasn't"

ah okay fair enough! i see what you mean

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

There's no way, at least the STX works and doesn't break your headphones. That's a feat most shit products can't accomplish.

It's clicking because it actually HAS a relay, yes.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."