Father wants laptop for Rosetta Stone and Microsoft office. Recommendations?

LaboonTheWhale

Hey all.

My dad wants to get a laptop for some simple uses like Rosetta stone and Microsoft office work. Could you guys give me some recommendations? I don't know much of the laptop market.

I figure he would want something <$500~. Probably would not want to go past that since its just basic work.

Do a bit of searching. As long as it comes with a decent CPU (i3 or better) and 4GB of RAM it should be fine.

http://www.amazon.com/HP-Touchsmart-15-f010dx-Screen-Laptop/dp/B00PL0HRNC/ref=sr_1_5?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1427683069&sr=1-5&keywords=laptop

I'm a fucking AMD kawaii weeaboo desu I have seen the light

i5 6600k EVGA 980 FTW Z170A PC Mate 1TB WD Blue240GB SSD Plus NZXT S340 | EVGA 600b  | Dedotated 8GB

Do a bit of searching. As long as it comes with a decent CPU (i3 or better) and 4GB of RAM it should be fine.

http://www.amazon.com/HP-Touchsmart-15-f010dx-Screen-Laptop/dp/B00PL0HRNC/ref=sr_1_5?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1427683069&sr=1-5&keywords=laptop

I don't really know mobile CPU's and what to look for or build quality. Im sure theres plenty out there that have decent reviews but end up with problems in a few years.

I don't really know mobile CPU's and what to look for or build quality. Im sure theres plenty out there that have decent reviews but end up with problems in a few years.

HP hasn't exactly been reputable for the best build quality or reliability in their lower-end offerings. How big of a laptop does he need? 13"? 14"? 15"?

If 15", take a look at the new Broadwell version of Lenovo's G50. http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Lenovo-G50-80-Signature-Edition-Laptop/productID.315132400

"Rawr XD"

I have an asus transformer book which has been pretty good for light use. It only has 64gb but it is solid state so it will load word quickly. It also has the benefit of being a franken tablet so if he wanted to say, do rosetta stone in bed (I dunno) then that option is there. 

Cons: Small. Actually a pro in terms of portability, con because the keyboard dock is small. 

The trackpad isn't great also, but I am comparing to an apple glass trackpad, so perhaps my standards are high.

Atom processor: Doesnt have great per core performance, but it is a quadcore. Should be enough for office and rosetta stone.

Its also pretty cheap. I believe both the 10" and 12" versions are below $500

I have an asus transformer book which has been pretty good for light use. It only has 64gb but it is solid state so it will load word quickly. It also has the benefit of being a franken tablet so if he wanted to say, do rosetta stone in bed (I dunno) then that option is there. 

imo the Aspire Switch 10 is a better option then the T100, unless for some reason you need that 11 hours of battery life, which OP's dad probably doesn't. 

It's also cheaper as it's on sale right now http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Acer-Aspire-Switch-10-SW5-012-64GB-Signature-Edition-2-in-1-PC/productID.308002000

"Rawr XD"

you can always build him an itx?

CPU: Intel i5-2400 Mobo: ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z RAM: 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1333MHz GPU: Sapphire R9 280x Tri-X Case Corsair Obsidian Series 350D PSU: EVGA 500w 80+ Certified

i'd abandon the idea of Rosetta stone btw

you can probably make a Chromebook work for him.

I tried. He says he has no deskspace and if he wants to move around with it then well ITX wont work quite well.

i'd abandon the idea of Rosetta stone btw

you can probably make a Chromebook work for him.

He's already started and locked down with Mandarin on rosetta stone so he wants to continue.

Any thoughts on the gigabyte Brix?

Sorry for double post.

Any thoughts on the gigabyte Brix?

Sorry for double post.

eh thats more of a compact PC for gamers. Just go with a think-pad or something along those lines

CPU: Intel i5-2400 Mobo: ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z RAM: 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1333MHz GPU: Sapphire R9 280x Tri-X Case Corsair Obsidian Series 350D PSU: EVGA 500w 80+ Certified

eh thats more of a compact PC for gamers. Just go with a think-pad or something along those lines

I mean $330 for a little compact I5. I dont think its very gamerish. since it only has a basic i5 w/ intel hd graphics.

I mean $330 for a little compact I5. I dont think its very gamerish. since it only has a basic i5 w/ intel hd graphics.

my bad I was looking at a higher-tier model

yes, if thats what he wants then it will work just as well as any laptop. Only issues that are sometimes it gets very hot and also leaves no room for upgrades.

but it is very quiet (no fan). Just read reviews.

my bad I was looking at a higher-tier model

yes, if thats what he wants then it will work just as well as any laptop. Only issues that are sometimes it gets very hot and also leaves no room for upgrades.

but it is very quiet (no fan). Just read reviews.

Probably the highest load he'll put on it is rosetta stone running. so maybe it'll be fine.

Probably the highest load he'll put on it is rosetta stone running. so maybe it'll be fine.

great. but keep in mind that you'll also need a USB disc drive to load rosetta. You can buy them for like $10 on amazon.

great. but keep in mind that you'll also need a USB disc drive to load rosetta. You can buy them for like $10 on amazon.

we got plenty of those xD